HP Pavilion Recovery discs not working (16897 Views)
Top Student
FF/PM
Message 1 of 16 (16,897 Views)

HP Pavilion Recovery discs not working

I had to buy a set of recovery discs for my HP m7060n Pavilion Media Center. I tried to load them and got a message that said the discs were not supported by my PC. I called tech support and they confirmed I had the right ones (per the build ID) but want me to pay for further support.

RIght now all I can get the computer to do is give me that error message or boot into safe mode, but with a message saying tha the last reinstall had failed and I need to reinstall the operating system (which is why I had to buy the discs.).

So, is there a way around whatever is stopping the correct DVD's from loading onto my computer? I have an old Win XP disc used on another computer, could I load that WinXP then load the HP recovery discs? 

Any ideas are appreciated!

Professor
1badGuard
Message 2 of 16 (16,901 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion Recovery discs not working

Remove the memory and cmos battery and wait a few minutes and reinstall them. Also, if you added anything like a video card or more memory that can cause it also. If you added more memory try installing what came installed originally.
Top Student
UFCMFD
Message 3 of 16 (16,868 Views)

To make sure you have the correct discs you need to check:

The Build ID (BID) sticker on the bottom of the PC.  The BID for the m7060n should be 52NAsyEPC3 (or similar),  The last digit in the BID is important.  Second, the Microsoft COA on the side of the PC should say Windows XP Media Center Edition.  This should match what is printed on the label of your recovery discs.  You probable have 2 recovery discs and a Supplemental Recovery disc in your set.  Last, the PC must have the DMI information in BIOS that matches the BID and OS Version.  If this is missing, this can cause the issue your are seeing. 

Have you tried recovering the PC using the F10 Recovery Partition?  To do this, boot the PC, when you see the blue BIOS screen start tapping the F10 key.  This boots the PC to Recovery Manager.  From there you need to get to the screen that has the Advanced Options menu.  On Advanced Option make sure the selection is for a Destructive Recovery.  This will recover the PC using the recovery partition.  If the PC recovers but you wind up with an error message on reboot that says "Code Purple" this means the DMI information on the PC is incorrect.  If you get this, call HP, they will take care of this regardless of warranty. 

Top Student
FF/PM
Message 4 of 16 (16,860 Views)

The BID and COA match. How do I check the DMI info?

I tried the partition recovery... when the process was done it would boot into safe mode, but stop at an error message saying the operating system was not installed correctly, reinstall... tried that a few times with the same results. Never saw a "Code Purple".

Top Student
Ritter197
Message 5 of 16 (15,971 Views)

That is exactly what happened to me. The System Recovery disks from HP DO match exactly from the bottom of the computer and the side with the HP recovery disks, yet at the end (I am right now running it for the thirds time) I will say that the ID's do not match.

WHICH ID's will it even compare?

I have no new hard drive, so what causes this, that then does not let people get to use their HP computers?

Would a brand new MS Windows XP installation (rather than HP System recovery disks solve this?

Honor Student
tzag
Message 6 of 16 (15,637 Views)

Hi there,

I discovered that the recovery of the system will not work unless you have the original hardware inside without anything else, you also need to make sure that you have nothing else plugged in via usb etc.

I am having some problems with my own recovery media as well, it might not just be the hardware. I have a DV7 2110sa laptop and I needed to recover it to its factory settings, turns out the recovery software was corrupt on the partition and on the disks I created so HP sent me new ones and they don't even work, I have a feeling HP has messed up somewhere with their recovery software for most of their products. 

Teacher
lrb1
Message 7 of 16 (15,589 Views)

OK. I have definitely got to ask the million dollar question. How do I know if the recovery disk I made are in fact going to work if and when I might need them? Is there some way to verify their validity? I guess I would want to know the same for the repair disk and the bootable diagnostics disk. I wondered this from the very beginning when I made them. I know that it was supposed to take 3 to 4 disk according to HP advisor for my system (e9280t) but I ended up needing 5. It looks to me like there is an awful lot of problems getting these disk to work, either that or the folks that are burning them are failing to follow instructions. 

Also, how do you know if in fact your recovery partion is solid?

Thanks for any replies as always. This forum has helped me tremendously in the month or so since I have started coming here, especially after I got my PC in the beginning of this month. There are some folks here who should be receiving a stipend for their services, you know who you are.

Lawrence    

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 8 of 16 (15,587 Views)

[ Edited ]

Irb1,

My e9280t system needed only 3 DVDs to make a recovery set.  Did you install any software prior to making your recovery set?

I burned a set immediately and then executed a recovery from the disks.  Use quality media like Verbatim.  Another option is to use a hard drive imaging product and store your image on an external USB drive. I use the Paragon Hard Disk Management Suite.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-3770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Provost
Big_Dave
Message 9 of 16 (15,583 Views)

Use ctrl-alt-s to find your build information.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-3770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Honor Student
diesell2001
Message 10 of 16 (15,524 Views)

[ Edited ]

My e9280t, set up as raid 1, crashed. Turned out drive 1 was bad. HP sent another drive, a REBUILT 500GB, different brand. This machine was purchased in December '09. After 3 hrs of frustration, the tech could not get it running. Turns out HP had sent the wrong recovery discs, and they also informed me that the recovery discs that I had made would not work either. (why make them if they don't work?) Now I have a new set of discs from HP that did run on the machine, but they are not right either. They formatted the REBUILT drive as two drives, 100GB each. This on a 500GB drive. What happened to the other 300GB? They did not recover the whole system as a raid 1 system. So now I guess I have no choice but to send this machine back to HP. Should have bought a DELL !!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation