Question

Student
rougemarshal
Message 1 of 7 (750 Views)

HP Pavilion p7-1234 Desktop PC will not maintain correct time

We have just purchased this system and I have tried everything short of replacing the battery as it's a brand new computer (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01853713&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc... ). 

I am seriously considering returning this item to best buy and trying another brand after having issues with the power supplies of a couple HP notebooks we have.

Anyone have a fix that worked for them?

thanks,

Keith

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 7 (692 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion p7-1234 Desktop PC will not maintain correct time

I recently ran into this helping a friend with a D*** machine. Turned out it was set to wrong Time zone. You might also boot into BIOS by tapping the F10 key at power on and check the time settings in there.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
casper06067
Message 3 of 7 (470 Views)

A week before Christmas 2012, I bought two HP P7-1234 desktops from Best Buy online. One was a gift and the other one I bought to replace my desktop computer. I haven't installed mine as yet, however, the one I purchased as a gift has the same issue with the clock that I've read about here. I set the computer up last weekend. The setup went smoothly and everything ran just fine. Within a few hours after it was first used, the clock began gaining time. Each time it was noticed, the time was reset to the proper Eastern time. Once the problem was brought to my attention, I began to monitor it daily. Today, for instance, the clock had advanced about two hours and twenty minutes from the correct time. Once again, I reset the time back to the correct time.

I've researched this time issue on several Tech sites and always get the same "fix" information, which is that the CMOS battery needs to be replaced. Given that Best Buy had refurbished these computers, it would seem logical that they would have put fresh batteries in each of them. However, in order to satisfy my own curiosity, I changed the CMOS (CR2032) battery with a new one, then plugged the computer in and started it up, and also reset the time. I thought that would actually fix the problem since all the info I found pointed to the battery. Well, it didn't fix the problem. As I said, the computer gained two hours and twenty minutes when I checked it today.

One Tech online suggests changing the Sync location to pool.nto.org and swears that the problem will go away if you do. Well, I tried that as well. The computer is obviously not syncing with that service either, yet, if I manually click that locaton, from the menu, the time does update. That at least shows that it is a valid location.

Windows 7 displays five synchonization locations and I've tried each of them, but the time continues to be off. I just reset the time on that computer not 15 minutes ago, and when I just checked it, it was already about 30 seconds fast.

I understand that there is a possibility that the BIOS clock itself may be set incorrectly. What I would appreciate is a more detailed explanation of what to do once I've opened the BIOS. Just saying to go there, says nothing to me. Where should I look in the BIOS on this HP computer for the clock settings? Please walk me through the steps. And, if I get there, and everything appears to be as it should, what then? If the problem is not the CMOS battery and not the BIOS clock settings, then what else could cause the clock to keep gaining time? I've sent the Geek Squad at Best Buy an email, but I am not counting on hearing from them.

I'm disappointed in the HP P7-1234, since the reviews were so good and also because I've owned a HP Pavilion desktop before and still own a great laptop from HP. The problem with this latest Pavilion is making me leary to set up the second P7-1234 that I bought for myself, although I am planning to do just that tomorrow. Hopefully, it also doesn't have this same problem.

Any relevant assistance would be much appreciated. Thank you

Provost
CherylG
Message 4 of 7 (463 Views)

Once you enter BIOS the clock should be pretty obvious, on the first page that opens. You will use the down arrow key to move down and highlighlight it, then make any adjustments as needed.Navigating through BIOS menus is done with keyboard, no mouse support. There will also be key indicators at bottom of each screen with instructions for making changes, and usually notes in the right sidebar describing each item you highlight.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
casper06067
Message 5 of 7 (452 Views)

Hello,

I went into the BIOS and oddly enough the settings seemed to be correct, so there was nothing there to change.

Up to this point, I've replaced the CMOS battery and checked the BIOS. Neither of these options remedied the clock running too fast.

On another online Tech site, a suggestion was made to do the following:

From Safe Mode, go into Device Manager, find System CMOS/real time clock, and Uninstall it. Then close out of Device Manager and reboot. The logic here is that when the computer reboots, it will automatically return the RTC to it's default settings, and solve the clock issue.

I tried that also, and it also did not slove the problem. The CMOS appears to reside on the Intel(R)) 8280 1GB/GR (ICH7 Family) LPC Interface Conroller - 27B8. Is it possible that this controller is the problem?

Another observaton I've made is this.  If I click on the time from the task bar and then click the option "Change Date and Time Settings",  and click the Internet Time so as to reveal the time server list.  Then click "Change Settings",  and pick any of the time servers and click the "Update Time" button, the server does correct the incorrect time. I many not be a Tech person, but it seems clear that if I manually update the time this way, then my computer can see the time servers. The question then is why isn't it seeing them when it's job is to perform this function automatically? For some reason, the computer is not automatically connecting to any of the time servers so that it can correct the update or correct the time.

I've contacted Best Buy, where I bought this computer. I was instructed to bring the computer back for a refund or to let their Geek Squad have a try at fixing the problem. Between now and the time I drive to the store, I will decided which of these choices is the best. I'm leaning more towards the refund at this point, since I haven't been able to get any help to resolve the problem so far and I don't want to have a reoccurring problem with this device. My other concern is that I bought a second identical model a week after buying this one, but haven't had time to do the setup. I hope I am not going to experience the same issue with that one.

Student
ZinnMark
Message 6 of 7 (371 Views)

I have the same computer model (p7-1234) at BestBuy with the exact same issue that you have so clearly described. The clock is not just a little of...it is WAY off by hours and days within a very short time span. I've been working with PC computers since 1991 and I've never seen this before.  It is NOT the CMOS battery. When the CMOS battery goes dead, it does not affect the clock speed. If you pull out the battery, the CMOS looses all settings when you turn the computer off and unplug the system. Otherwise, the power AC keeps the computer from losing those settings and the PC clock functions normally. Many other users are having the same problem with this PC model, it seems clear the possibility of a manufacturing defect. It is obvious that people depend on clock accuracy for many essential reasons and HP support should look into this matter if they have not done so already.

Fortunately, you can workaround the issue by having Windows 7 resynch the computer clock via internet every few minutes. The default sync is weekly and you can modify this setting to your liking in the Windows task manager. I found a link to a webpage that explains very well how to do this.

http://www.pretentiousname.com/timesync/index.html

Honor Student
casper06067
Message 7 of 7 (355 Views)

Thanks for your input. I knew all along that the CMOS battery was not the problem. It's a little more serious than a battery issue. In my case, I was able to return the computer to Best Buy, without any problem, and they refunded my money. I bought a replacement of the same make and model, and it has run just fine. I found the experience generally interesting in terms of how difficult it was to get good feedback on the problem from HP or other message boards. Everyone, it seemed, responded in pretty much the same way and offered the same advice. 

I'm keeping a close eye on the replacement desktop. So far so good. It's a decent computer for the price, but of course, if a computer has issues, it isn't worth a dime. My mainstay desktop is a Visionman Widow, which I bought about four years ago. I had purchased the HP because I thought the PSU in the Widow was about to die. Turned out, it might have only been some dust in one of the fans. I must say that the Visionman Widow is a beautiful computer for desktop publishing and graphics, which was my main reason for buying it. I reasoned that, based upon its specs, it was more powerful than the average desktop for the tasks I would be performing. That guess turned out to be correct.

Well, thanks again for you input to the orginal problem. I hope that not too many others have had this same problem. All things considered, I think that HP makes some pretty good computers. But as with anything these days, you'll always find some that slip through the cracks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation