Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Where exactly can I find my product key and if the answer is that it's in BIOS then how do I get into BIOS and where in BIOS is it found?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

When requesting assistance, please provide the complete model name and product number (pn) of the HP computer in question. HP/Compaq makes thousands of models of computers. Without this information it may be difficult or impossible to assist you in resolving your issue.

The above requested information can be found on the bottom or back of your computer, or on the startup BIOS screen. DO NOT include your serial number. Please enter the model/product information into HP's Online Consumer Support page and post it here for our review.

HPservicetag.png

The Windows product key for Windows 8 / 8.1 consumer computers is encrypted and embedded in the BIOS. You don't get into the BIOS to find it and it isn't going to be found. The Windows key on your computer will automatically populate the Windows 8 / 8.1 installation provided that the version of the key and software match. 

Please indicate if you are using the originally installed OS... you installed the Windows 8.1 upgrade from within Windows 8... you clean installed Windows 8.1 from a disc or USB flash drive... etc.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the White KUDOS "Thumbs Up" to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

I've tried following the link that was provided and I am not finding a way to post the info that was suggested on that web page. I am running Windows 8.1 and did the upgrade from Windows 8 from within Windows on a Pavilion 20 All in One PC, 20-b010 with product number H3Y89AA#ABA. Pls help

HP Recommended

Here are the specs for your HP Pavilion 20-b010 All-in-One Desktop Computer. This model shipped with Windows 8 installed. The Windows 8 OEM key will not activate Windows 8.1. Windows 8.1 Should automatically be activated during the upgrade process via the Microsoft Store.

What is the exact issue you are having??? Why do you need the Windows 8 product key??? How did you install Windows 8.1??? From where did you get Windows 8.1??? What are you trying to accomplish???

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the White KUDOS "Thumbs Up" to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

I need the my HP Pavilion all in one product key for windows 8.1.

HP Recommended
When I try to install Windows on an HP 19 all-in-one it will ask for a product key and as far as I'm concerned it's not automatically activated when you install it because it will constantly ask you for activation for no particular reason my dad's computer when he bought it brand-new it started doing the same **bleep** thing asking to activate Windows when when it should have been activated so I'm not understanding why buying a new computer why later on It'll ask you to activate Windows I'm not understanding why
HP Recommended
The only way to get a product key is to call them the unfortunate part is you'll have to pay for it thy send it to your email I think which if you ask me that's just wrong to pay for a product key if you own the CD it's there way to make more money of something you already paid for
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.