HP_RECOVERY (D) is full, (1884 Views)
Honor Student
nshogger
Message 1 of 10 (1,884 Views)

HP_RECOVERY (D) is full,

i keep getting a message that my HP_RECOVERY (D) is full, it shows 2.00mb free of 11.4mb and the bar in my computer shows drive d almost full with a red bar.  i am new to windows 7 and HP. can you help?

thank you

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 2 of 10 (1,869 Views)

Re: HP_RECOVERY (D) is full,

Can you use Explorer and tell me what folders are in D:

Honor Student
nshogger
Message 3 of 10 (1,856 Views)

of course, i would be be happy to add kudo's. 

my recovery file contains two files: one named n360_backup, and one named recovery.   the recovery file gives me a message not to change anything or it would interfere with system recovery.

the computer is only a month old and i have not done a complete system backup on it yet.

thank you

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 4 of 10 (1,852 Views)

It looks like Norton360 is using the D partition for its backups, you really should not use it for that, backups should be kept on an external usb drive. You should be able to change the backup location in Norton, then delete the Norton folder on D.

Honor Student
nshogger
Message 5 of 10 (1,843 Views)

thank you very much.

is it ok to delete n360_backup after i save it to a thumb drive

again thankyou

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 6 of 10 (1,839 Views)

Yes, but you need to change N360, set it to backup to a different location.

Honor Student
violasrsupreme
Message 7 of 10 (1,635 Views)

I have the same problem. I took care of the Norton situation, and deleted that file. Now, the recovery file is 6.71MB....my "D" shows 10.2 gb used, and 1.6 gb free. This doesn't add up. The only other files on the "D" are...DFR928E .tmp, showing 0 bytes, and Folder MSI14bbc.tmp. which is empty. What happened to my space? Thanks for any help! 

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 8 of 10 (1,632 Views)

Some recovery files may be hidden

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 9 of 10 (1,611 Views)

[ Edited ]

violasrsupreme wrote: I have the same problem. I took care of the Norton situation, and deleted that file. Now, the recovery file is 6.71MB....my "D" shows 10.2 gb used, and 1.6 gb free. This doesn't add up. The only other files on the "D" are...DFR928E .tmp, showing 0 bytes, and Folder MSI14bbc.tmp. which is empty. What happened to my space?

Hello violasrsupreme, The HP_Recovery Partition, which is usually, but not always labled as D: Mine is Labled as F:

D: is being used by Windows 7 as a setup partition on my system.

This HP_Recovery Partition should NEVER be accessed for any purpose, other than to perform a HP Recovery Restore for your system. This partition is usually about 10-11 GBs, depending on the software that came with your system originally.

Your original software would be somewhat less than that amount. My Recovery partition is 11 GBs with 1GB free.

If you have these Folders on the D: partition that show no data, you can safely delete these, but nothing else. They appear to be temporary folders, probably created by Norton.

As Mumbodog suggested, you should not allow Norton to backup to this partition or you should not use it to store any data on it. This may corrupt the HP Recovery Restore Utility and make it unusable to restore your system if it became neccessary to do this.

It appears these capacity numbers are normal, but I would delete the Folders that have no data in them, but again, do not delete anything else.

Hope this helps.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

Honor Student
violasrsupreme
Message 10 of 10 (1,589 Views)

Thanks, Mumbodog and Hanspuppa! I will delete the 2 empty files, and the Norton has already been set to back up to "C", so it looks like I'm all set .......

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation