Question

Honor Student
zhuyan
Message 1 of 16 (1,794 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Support Assistant Disk Defragent Running for 16 Hours and counting...

I bought this HP Pavilion P6755 (Windows 7 64-bit) about two months ago and it is a great machine to use.  However as later I had on two occasions experienced blue screens, I thought I might used the pre-installed HP Support Assistant to try to improve the machine's performance.  Then I started the Tune-up and it went on smoothly until the Microsft Windows Disk Defragment part, where it just kept running like forever..

I tried twice, the first run I let it go for about 14 hours with no luck; the second time I let the tune-up process run for over 24 hours annd when I came back to check it was still perfoming the tune-up???

I closed this tune-up halfway and started Window's own Defragment Tool and it only took less than half an hour to finish the process with no problem at all.

So what is going on with this Tune-up under Hp Support Assistant?

I have ensured that the Windows 7 OS has the latest updates, HP Support Assistant in its latest version.

One  other thing though: the HP ProBook I use at wwork finishes the Tune-up process with no problem at all.

Does any one here have the same issue?

My PC has i5 and 1TB harddisk; I have used the HP Support Assistant to do a HDD check  and did not find any problem either.

Thanks for any input or possible solution.

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 16 (1,766 Views)

Re: HP Support Assistant Disk Defragent Running for 16 Hours and counting...

Hi,
Welcome to the HP Forum! :smileyhappy:

I recommend that you update the HP Support Assistant. Go to the web support portal for your desktop and in the Drivers & Software section find the update, download it and install it. I would have linked directly to the update for you, but you left off the last alphanumeric(s) of the Product name identifier for your desktop. 

identifier.png

Kind regards,
erico

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
zhuyan
Message 3 of 16 (1,763 Views)

Hi Erico, many thanks for your advice.  After my initial post, I tried first uninstalling the HP Support Assistant, then using the recovery manger to re-install it, of course the re-installed was an older version.  However when I ran HP update as well as the Support Assistant both told me I had the latest version of the Support Assistant.  Then I did a good search and located the latest version which should be 6.0.5.4.  Installed it and restarted the PC.  Guess what? the issue is gone!!! Also gone is the "Microsoft Windows Disk Defragment" part!!!  Now it only took less than 5 minutes to complete the Tune-up process!

Then I saw your reply and went onto the HP NZ site just to make sure I did get the latest version.  The funny thing is that I couldn't find my PC model there??? Excuse me HP but I only bought this PC model (6755a) in NZ 2-3 months ago.  Anyway I went onto our neighbour's HP site and managed to locate the same version download so now I'm happy as a clam :smileyhappy:

Again thank you very much Erico for your kind input.

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 16 (1,758 Views)

Glad to help.

regards,

erico 

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
nouzrid
Message 5 of 16 (1,635 Views)

I have a Pavilion Magnesium Gray Edition p6654y and have the same problem.

Could you provide a link to it so I can get the latest Support assisant?

Honor Student
Terre051
Message 6 of 16 (1,583 Views)

:catfrustrated:

Honor Student
Terre051
Message 7 of 16 (1,582 Views)

HELLO!

I did do the update and several other things first.

So sorry I thought I had put in the Product #:

Here it is and thanks for your help!

Hope we can resolve this!!

HP Pavilion P6000 Series

(p6803w)

Honor Student
Terre051
Message 8 of 16 (1,581 Views)

HELP!!!
Honor Student
Terre051
Message 9 of 16 (1,576 Views)

Re: HP Support Assistant Disk Defragmenter Running for 16 Hours and counting...

[ Edited ]

Hello Erico!
Sorry I am new at the forum thing and although I did put in the product name nothing showed up except the emoticon?Anyway, here it is:HP Pavilion 6000 Series (p6803w).
I did do the update first before I contacted you,I always try to troubleshoot things myself before I have to bother the CS Team,the only problem I am having at all with the HP Maintenance is the defragmentation part,I let it run literally for well over 30 hours,and it was still running this morning,so I decided I do need your expertise in this matter to get it resolved~I read in the forums where you really were of great help to others with the same problem I am having~and I would so appreciate your help~Thanks! Terre

Tutor
jfredricw
Message 10 of 16 (690 Views)

I have same problem, still defraging after 24 hours. My PC is a Touchsmart Pavilion 520-1040A AIO EXC #QU392AA#ABG
Can you please direct me to the correct website for the required update. Thanks
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation