Question

Tutor
DaveJ
Message 1 of 33 (7,688 Views)

HP Update Client has stopped working

[ Edited ]

When I launch HP update, it crashes with the message "HP Update Client has stopped working".
Uninstalling HP Update and re-installing from System Recovery does not solve the problem.

Any suggestions ?    New HPE 235f Desktop running Windows 7 64bit.

Windows problem solver  tries to say I should download an update to HP Update from the HP web site, but it provides links which are no longer valid and provide no pathway to find or download an update.

Intern
johnvargas
Message 2 of 33 (7,655 Views)

Re: HP Update Client has stopped working

what I did was uninstall old version first hp update and to restart
after installing the newest version I believe is the 5, do not give in launch, just close and let him restart

Tutor
DaveJ
Message 3 of 33 (7,652 Views)

Have an email from HP Support saying this is a known problem that they are working on.  No timeframe yet for a solution.

Tutor
billybarrie
Message 4 of 33 (7,279 Views)

I'm glad to hear for the first time that HP is aware of the problem...hopefully they fix it shortly...I've been using the support assistant which I assume is working properly and it always says there is no updates....

Scott

Student
Rosy2
Message 5 of 33 (7,238 Views)

I have the same problem the "HP Update Client has stopped working" I have a HP Pavilion dv7-1270ca with windows 7.  The link that they have to solve the problem does not exist.  How do I send HP and email to indicated that the problem exist and to request some assistance of some kind.  When I try to contact through email I wind up going in circles chasing a warranty check over and over.  My basic question is how do we get help or does HP just not care about their products they sell after 1 year.

Very frustrated with lack of info from HP

Tutor
DaveJ
Message 6 of 33 (7,217 Views)

See the HP support page and send them an email or chat with an agent.

Email to PAVILION_SUPPORT_EN@MAIL.SUPPORT.HP.COM 

:smileyhappy:

Intern
Tech_Net
Message 7 of 33 (7,204 Views)

Hi,

You can try downloading and installing the two soft patches sp49766.exe and sp46210.exe from HP site and can try. I have observed that in a few cases it works, but does not works in major cases as its a known issue with the application.

Good Luck.

• Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! White Star" which is on the left.
• Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your problem.
Tutor
billybarrie
Message 8 of 33 (7,140 Views)

I wrote to that email address...we'll see if i get a reply...I sent them the error message re the problem...thanks

Scott

Tutor
billybarrie
Message 9 of 33 (7,110 Views)

Here's Hp's answer to my email.....

Thank you for contacting HP Total Care.

From your email, I understand that the HP Update on your notebook has stopped working and you need assistance in this regard.

I completely understand your concern about the issue and assure to provide enough information help you to resolve this issue.

Scott, this issue could be due to corrupt HP Update application or corrupt Windows Operating System core files on the notebook. I see that you have already uninstalled and reinstalled the HP Update application and the issue remains unresolved.

As the issue is unresolved, it is clear that the issue is due to corrupt Windows Operating System core files on the notebook. To isolate this issue, I would recommend you to restore the notebook to original factory settings by performing system recovery. System recovery will reinstall Windows Operating System, applications and drivers that came preinstalled with the notebook.

For your convenience, I am providing you a web link from where you get complete information to perform system recovery.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01895783&tmp_task=solveCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc...

NOTE: In the above web link, please refer to Restore the PC to its original condition with the HP Recovery Manager from within Windows 7.

NOTE: Clicking the link may give an error indicating that it is invalid.  If this occurs, copy the link and paste it on the address bar in your browser until the complete address is displayed in the Address box.

This will restore the notebook to original factory settings. Now check the functionality of the HP Update application on your notebook.

I believe the information provided would be helpful and addressed your concern.

Tutor
DaveJ
Message 10 of 33 (7,100 Views)

Here is the email I got:  (seems to be quite different...)

I understand from your email that, HP update crashes on your computer and reporting "HP Update Client has stopped working" error message.

I appreciate you have forwarded your concern and given us a chance to assist you in this regard.

I would like to inform you that HP is aware of this issue and researching on this issue. There is no time frame to resolve the issue.

However, in order to isolate the issue, I request you to follow the steps given below.

1.      Click Start, and enter services.msc into the Search field. Press Enter

2.      You will get the services window.

3.      Locate System Event Notificaion and Background Intelligent Transfer Service.

4.      Right click on System Event Notificaion and Background Intelligent Transfer Service one by one and click on Properties

5.      you will get the Windows search properties window

6.      in general tab, click on the drop down menu and select Automatic Next to Startup type.

7.      click Apply

8.      Click on OK.

9.      Close the Services window.

Also, if you want to install the updates for your computer, you need to update manually from the software and driver downloads web link given below.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation