Question

Intern
notusedupyet
Message 1 of 12 (18,361 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Updater won't update?

I am trying to update HP Update with sp40926.exe. I am using an HP Pavillion a350n. This new (12-3-08) update is listed in the update section for this comuter. HP Update hasn't worked satisfactorily for some time. See http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=Install&thread.id=59. Everything seems to start OK but ends with The Update did not complete successfully. (9994) message. Any ideas would be appreciated. I'm running Windows XP Pro SP 3, IE 7. HP support has been no help with the other problems. Thanx in advance.
Only after the last tree has been cut down. Only after the last river has been poisoned. Only after the last fish has been caught. Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. --Cree Indian Prophecy--
Distinguished Professor
RasterBlaster
Message 2 of 12 (18,411 Views)

Re: HP Updater won't update?

What's the full error? I know error 9998 usually means that the software update does not need to be installed because the software it is trying to install is older than what is already on the system.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01504950&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_US...

I thin you can go to your temp folder and delete the temporary files and start again:

1. Close HP Updates if it is open.
  2. Click Start , Run , and enter %temp% .
    A window showing temporary files opens. The files that were retrieved from HP Update are listed in this folder.
  3. Sort the files by date.
  4. Find the oldest update in the list and double-click to open and install.
  5. Continue installing updates in the order of oldest to newest until all updates have been installed. You may have to restart the computer several times throughout this process.
  6. After all updates have been installed, delete all of the files in the temp folder and restart the computer. HP Updates should now be able install updates as normal. If not, repeat these steps.
... an HP employee expressing his own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
Intern
notusedupyet
Message 3 of 12 (18,333 Views)

The complete message is  'The Update did not complete successfully. (9994) '  The update that generates this message I downloaded from the update site for my computer.  http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=371643&lang=en. sp40926.exe.  I saved it in My Documents then double click it to run it. It appears to be installing the update but ends with the above  message. It is a new update for HP Update that fixes "some minor problems". I thought it might fix my other HP Update problems. (see below)

I have had other problems using HP Update to update . This is actually described in another thread. http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=Install&thread.id=59. HP Update says I need 2 Security updates. 1 is a security update, the other has to do with HP Product assistant. When I try to install them they appear to download but say installation canceled. I have gone to the %temp% folder after reading this in another thread concerning HP Update. http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=OSandSW&thread.id=139. HP Update creates 2 folders in the temp directory, HPSU8VVE.NOV,and HPSUMINO.$5S, both are empty. It also creates a file named "debugf.txt" which contains the following info: serial=MXK3400N1C NA300
manufacturer=HP Pavilion 061
product=DM170A-ABA A350N
version=0nB1211RE101YALE 10
UUID=E775F8C0-F5AB-11D7-8779-D059E6C1A9C0

If you have any ideas about these problems I would geratly appreciate it. I have gotten more info from this site in several days than months trying HP Email Support. !Help! Thanx

Only after the last tree has been cut down. Only after the last river has been poisoned. Only after the last fish has been caught. Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. --Cree Indian Prophecy--
Professor
Mister_Do
Message 4 of 12 (18,229 Views)

Hi notusedupyet,

Are you signed in as the Administrator when trying to install the update?

Have you tried uninstalling and then reinstalling the HP Update program, and then running the new update?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bph07142&dlc=en&product=371643

...an HP employee just trying to help where I can, but not speaking on behalf of HP.
Intern
notusedupyet
Message 5 of 12 (18,219 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yes I am An Administrator. I am not using the HP software that came with the computer. I reached a point where I formated the HD and installed Windows XP Pro. So the only Hp Software is the printer drivers for A HP Photosmart 2610 and An hp office jet 4110. Where can I download the HP Update program? Thanx

Here is more info:The HP Update Shortcut points to C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Updates\HPWUli.exe. When I go to Control Panel Add or Remove Programs it says it hasn't been used since June. I try it all of the time. When I "Click here for support" and click "Repair" It asks to install HP Update Disk. I put in the 2610 driver disk and windows installer is looking for HP Update .msi , what is on the disk is HPSoftwareUpdate.msi. Are there two versions of HP Update. Windows installer doesn't like the HPSoftwareUpdate.msi. It seem there are two versions HP Software Update & Hp Update. Which is the latest and where can I get it? If I remove the current Hp Update will the sp40926 install the latest? Currently installed is HP Update version 4.000.010.008. That is what comes up when I click on the short cut. I hope this makes sence and you know the answer. It would probably be best to remove the current Hp Update and install the latest. Let me know 

Thanx in advance

Message Edited by notusedupyet on 12-16-2008 06:44 PM
Professor
Mister_Do
Message 6 of 12 (18,185 Views)

Hi notusedupyet,

I think I'm getting a better understanding of what might be happening. It does sound like you have two conflicting HP Update versions. ".msi" stands for Microsoft Installer...so essentially the Microsoft installer app that the HP software uses to install on a PC is confused because the two software versions are similar, but conflicting....it could be that your PC somehow retained some of the original HP Update software after you downgraded to XP (though it seems odd that it would) and then installing the printer software you get a conflict.

Here is what I would do:

Download the latest full version of the printer software (this will include the HP Update utility) - the basic software is really mostly just the drivers and doesn't have the other HP utilities and software.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=421139

Then I would remove all previous versions of the HP Update software, and then run the MS Installer Clean-up utility:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301 

And then I'd install the new Full version HP printing software.

Let us know how it goes.

...an HP employee just trying to help where I can, but not speaking on behalf of HP.
Associate Professor
c0rnel
Message 7 of 12 (18,173 Views)

Here's what you do to fix it. This always works for me.

1) Uninstall HP Update and HP Total Care Advisor from the program list.

2) Reboot the pc.

3) Reinstall HP Update using Recovery Manager by going to Start/All Program/PC Help and Tool and click Recovery Manager.

When the program opens go to Advanced Options, Program Software Reinstallation and go next, then next again and choose HP Update Software from the list, go next and wait for it to reinstall. Then reboot the pc.

4) Important step. You can also try this before the other steps.

Go to start and inside the start search box type "cmd" without the quotes and right above it shows "cmd" with a black icon.

Right-click on cmd and choose Run As Administrator and the command window comes up in elevated mode.

Now type the following commands without the qoutes:

"regsvr32 vbscript.dll" and press enter, then click ok at the notification window then type

"regsvr32 jscript.dll" and press enter, then click ok at the notification window.

Then type exit and reboot the pc.

5) Now you can open up HP Update by going to Start/All Programs/HP Update or start/start search and type update and click HP Update on top.

Step 4 always fixes this.

It took me 1 hour to find this solution.

It's related to a java error and the update 4.8.0.1 for hp updates.

Reply if you got it fixed or if you need further help.

Top Student
nyliferocks
Message 8 of 12 (16,344 Views)

I am having the same problem, My error code is slightly different. It also says my computer does not have the right compents to upgrade. I have everything up to date from windows update and I also have the required software listed on the update page of this file.
Honor Student
Techspider
Message 9 of 12 (13,583 Views)

Click the link below:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&softwareitem=mp-69226-1&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

( HPUSelfUpdate.exe ) This is the file which need to download to get the issue fixed.

Student
spirit59
Message 10 of 12 (13,438 Views)

Just want to say Thank you...I clicked the link you stated above and downloaded it and now all my updates were installed :smileyhappy:

I too was having the same problems with updates not installing from the HP update but now it works fine. Again Thank you

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation