Question

Honor Student
Jake-d
Message 1 of 4 (8,871 Views)

HP compaq presario desktop wont turn on

every time i try to turn on the computer the doesnt do anything and the computer starts beeping
Provost
erico
Message 2 of 4 (8,863 Views)

Re: HP compaq presario desktop wont turn on

Hi,

If it is four beeps and it keeps on repeating, try removing and gently reseating your memory modules( be sure and put them back in the same dimm slots. You should hear/feel a click if you have them properly reseated) and then restarting your system.The beeps are called POST (power on self test) codes. What is the model of your Compaq Presario? With more specific information we can direct you to detailed explanations on how to do this. Please read the very first post in this thread on how to ask a good question. It does help.

Please keep us updated on how it works out.

Regards,

Eric

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
Jake-d
Message 3 of 4 (8,685 Views)

The beebs that it does is one long beeb and then an even longer beeb after that and does that all over again.

my computer is a hp compaq presario SR5140AN

160 GB SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec) 7200 rpm

GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

i dont know what else to put in.

Professor
1badGuard
Message 4 of 4 (8,684 Views)

Award bios beep codes are the hardest to diagnose.

Perform the steps erico suggested.

Award BIOS
Award states that they now only use one beep from there BIOS. This beep is one long beep and then two short beeps. This indicates a graphics card problem. Any other beeps should be treated as a RAM problem first and then the board sent in to be inspected.

The reason that the Award BIOS only uses the beep code for display problems is that it tries to display the error on-screen if at all possible. If the BIOS cannot initiate the display adapter then this causes the BIOS to make the beep code for a display error, which must be corrected before any other errors can be determined. Memory Test fails and hard disk failures etc will all be displayed on screen.

However people do say that they know what some codes mean some codes that I believe can be trusted are some while in operation. Consult the table below.

Beep Code Error
1 Long 2 Short Video Card Error - Either re-seat or replace video card
Repeating beeps Memory Error - Memory is either damaged or badly seated
Repeating Hi/Low Beeps Damaged or Overheating CPU
Hi Frequency Beeps Overheating CPU

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation