Question

Honor Student
rk101181
Message 1 of 8 (495 Views)

HP has not tested this PC with Windows 8.1

what does this mean?  I shouldn't upgrade to windows 8.1  How could they "test" my PC.  Why can't people speak English?

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 8 (477 Views)

Re: HP has not tested this PC with Windows 8.1

[ Edited ]

Hi:

What it means is HP has not tested W8.1 on your model PC to see if it works correctly.

If you don't see all of the W8.1 hardware drivers for your PC on your PC's support and driver page, that means HP does not support your PC for that operating system.

That doesn't mean it won't work, it means HP hasn't ran/tested W8.1 on your model, nor have they provided drivers for it.

I have an HP 8200 Elite CMT. It was not "tested" by HP for W8.1.

I upgraded from W7>W8>W8.1 and everything works just fine by using W7 or W8 drivers for any hardware that didn't get installed (which wasn't much).

However, just because W8.1 worked on my PC, is certainly no guarantee it will work on yours.

I hope I was able to explain that to your satisfaction.

Honor Student
rk101181
Message 3 of 8 (452 Views)

thank you thank you thank you.  At least someone still speaks English and not computer geek.  Unfortunately, after trying twice to download 8.1 I am not sure I was successful.  I never actaully saw anything that said download complete.  The last time I looked (over 24 hours ago) it was still checking compatabilty.  Since I have shut down the machine I am sure that was cancelled.  Not a big deal, I just won't have 8.1 until I buy a new computer.  Truth be told, I am sure I am not using 8 correctly anyway!  Thanks again for the explanation.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 8 (447 Views)

You're very welcome.

On the two upgrades to W8.1 I have performed, the install seemed to be rather "silent."

What I mean by silent, is you don't really see anything happening until all of a sudden your PC reboots and starts installing W8.1.

I never saw any "Download Complete," or "Click here to start the installation," or anything like that.

You may want to give it another try by going back to the windows store and downloading it again.

I like W8.1 better than W8.

It is a little easier to work with when you don't have a PC with a touch screen.

Honor Student
joelha831
Message 5 of 8 (261 Views)

Well, I've been having some issues.  I've had to uninstall a game that I downloaded and just some various other annoyances.  Since I've had the problems with Win 8.1, how can I downgrade back to Win 8?  I've searched all my other resources and can't find any answers to that so I'm either really blind or it can't be done.  Thanks for any advice.

Joelha831

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 6 of 8 (250 Views)

Hi:

In order to revert back to W8, you would have to use the W8 recovery media I hope you made before upgrading to W8.1.

If you did not, then you will need to order recovery media for your specific model PC from HP.

Honor Student
joelha831
Message 7 of 8 (247 Views)

Of course I didn't make one....lol.  I have no foresight sometimes.  I thought everything would be ok like an idiot.  I thank you for your help, though. 

Joelha831

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 8 of 8 (244 Views)

You're very welcome.

I wouldn't feel bad.  You had every right to think the upgrade would have gone just peachy.

You could try to recover the PC by using the F11 key method described on the link below before ordering recovery disks.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c03489643&lc=en&jumpid=reg_r1002_us...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation