Question

Tay Honor Student
Honor Student
Tay
Message 1 of 4 (2,990 Views)

HP pavilion a6700f internet connection problems

Just got a new HP pavilion a6700f quad core processor with 4 g of RAM using Windows Vista 64 bit OS.  Had problems connecting to the internet from the start.  We got it to work after downloading a new BIOS driver and connecting directly to ATT yahoo's DNS server.  It worked for a couple of weeks, but then just quit.  HP support thinks it could be a be network card or a problem with internet explorer.  two solutions : perform system recovery and wipe out everything and start over or have HP install a new network card.  I dont want to wipe out the hard drive and reinstall as this is time consuming and HPs support will take a couple of weeks. Its definitely not my ISP - I have a second computer that connects fine.  Any thoughts on how to solve?

Tay

Grad Student
ErnyWhite
Message 2 of 4 (2,983 Views)

Re: HP pavilion a6700f internet connection problems

So you are saying that HP support does not know if it is your explorer or your wireless card? there is hardware diag tools on your computer that will determine if it is hardware. I say wireless card becuse your network card is built into your motherboard so hp would have to replace your board.

Do you have a router, are you working wireless or is it directly wired to router or modem. What does the diagnose and repair in Network and sharing center say is the problem. Check your network adapter in device manager--is it working properly (double click to bring up properties)   So does windows mail work, can your internet antivirus program access the net?  I know I am asking a lot of questions but it does help me to realize exactly what the problem is . By the way doing a recovery takes about an hour doing it from the hardrive partion so it is not so long.

Kudos appreciated if question answered or solution provided
Tay Honor Student
Honor Student
Tay
Message 3 of 4 (2,978 Views)

No this is a direct ethernet connection rather than wireless.  Both don't work, though. I tried enabling and disabling both to see if either would work, but none did.  Network diagnostics shows no problem with either card, but just wont connect to the internet.  I wondered if anyone else has had this problem and solved it without sending back to HP.  No other problems with any other hardware are detected by the diagnostics software. Any other thoughts?
Honor Student
Ricky123
Message 4 of 4 (2,948 Views)

There are a few things you could do before blaming someone .(HP)

First Check your IP Address (Go to Start/Start search/Type CMD /Rightclick run as administrator /ipconfig)

There is a internet Diagnostic wizard in pc help and tools ,. try using that as well .

In CMD try running the following commands

1:netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

2:Netsh int ip reset resetall

3:ipconfig/flush dns

restart your computer

click on the (Start/Start search /type hardware diagnostic tool /do a test on network card under communication )

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation