Question

Top Student
ethan_yeats
Message 1 of 9 (106 Views)
Accepted Solution

Had to replace my hard drive, computer stuck in 2006

I recently had to replace the hard drive of my laptop. It's an HP Envy 14t-1200 Beats Audio Edition. I confess I'm not too knowledgable about computers, so I don't really know how all of this works, but here's the basics:

With the new hard drive, I've noticed that several drivers are several years old, and I can't update them. For example, the mouse driver is dated 2006, so I can't do the 2-finger scroll, and I could with the original hard drive. Also, I no longer have any kind of bluetooth application, but I know that my laptop is bluetooth capable, because I have used it before. Audio also works differently. Every time I try to update any driver, it says everything is up to date. Is there any way I can get my laptop to be the way it was when I bought it? Basically, right now, its like a computer that would have been produced 8 years ago. 

I know these problems aren't a huge deal, but I would like to have the computer that I originally paid for. Please help! 

Ethan

PhD Student
Photoray002
Message 2 of 9 (98 Views)

Re: Had to replace my hard drive, computer stuck in 2006

Hello ethan,

Did you go to the Drivers download page on the HP website for your model?

It contains all the drivers you are asking about including the touchpad driver and Bluetooth.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=5051...

Hope it helps. :smileyhappy:

Top Student
ethan_yeats
Message 3 of 9 (85 Views)

Most of these are working. Thanks! The bluetooth, however, will not. When I try to download it, it says that it doesn't recognize any bluetooth device, but I know that the bluetooth adapter is built in to this computer.

PhD Student
Photoray002
Message 4 of 9 (83 Views)

[ Edited ]

Oh, got ya.

Off the top of my head, I'm wondering if you fully updated windows before you installed the drivers? Perhaps an update is preventing the 2006 bluetooth driver from recognizing the hardware. IF so, the big question is which one?

PhD Student
Photoray002
Message 5 of 9 (80 Views)

Can you see the Bluetooth device in Device Manager? If so will it let you update the device from there? If not, will it let you uninstall the device? If you can, it will reinstall after a reboot.

Right click on Computer, choose Manage. Click on Device Manager in the list on the left and look for the bluetooth device in Network adapters.

Top Student
ethan_yeats
Message 6 of 9 (77 Views)

I looked, but there is nothing about bluetooth under Network Adapters.

Top Student
ethan_yeats
Message 7 of 9 (76 Views)

And yes, I have updated Windows as much as it will let me.

PhD Student
Photoray002
Message 8 of 9 (70 Views)

[ Edited ]

All I can think of is to make sure you have the Bluetooth switch turned on.

I see others with other brand computers having this issue and do not find a fix yet.

I found this from Microsoft but I do not know if the adapter has to be seen first or not for the fix to work.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/980396

Top Student
ethan_yeats
Message 9 of 9 (52 Views)

Alright, well thank you! I'm sure I'll figure out the whole bluetooth thing with that link. As for everything else, that solves it. Thank you!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation