How can I access Recovery Partition after C: drive had to be formatted. Need to burn Recovery disks. (1180 Views)
Tutor
disaksen
Message 1 of 2 (1,180 Views)

How can I access Recovery Partition after C: drive had to be formatted. Need to burn Recovery disks.

[ Edited ]

I'm working on a friends HP Pavilion a730n, and need to recover/restore the system to it's original state.  The OS (Windows XP Home Edition) became severely corrupt, and could not be recovered.  None of the restore/recovery options work now, so a new operating system will have to be installed.  I've recovered all of the owners important date, and am ready to install the new operating system.  Since the system Restore and/or Recovery functions don't work, I'm not able to access the still intact, "Recovery Partition" to restore the system back to its original configuration.

I'm hoping someone can tell me what needs to be done so I can gain access to the Recovery Partition, so I can start the recovery process.  I'd also like to be able to use the Recovery Partition to burn the set of recovery disks the owner should have done when she first bought the computer.  At any rate, please get in touch if you're able to help.

Thanks,

disaksen

{Personal Information Removed}

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 2 (1,163 Views)

Re: How can I access Recovery Partition after C: drive had to be formatted. Need to burn Recovery di

[ Edited ]

Put the hard disk in a Windows XP PC or use an extarnal enclosure to connect it to a Windows XP PC. It must be a Windows PC since the boot sectors are different on Windows XP and Windows Vista and Windows 7 operating systems.

Use Computer Management in Windows XP to select the recovery partition and make it active. You can also do this by using the diskpart command at the command line with admin priveleges. Once you have done that you can replace the disk in the original PC and start it up. You should then be able to access the recovery manager and reinstall the operating system. 

Another alternative if you have access to it would be an older version of the MSDaRT disk. Use the command line functions to return the recovery partition to an active state.

If you need more specific help, please  don't hesitate to ask.

Please post your results.

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation