How do I access the recovery partition? (26727 Views)
Tutor
aldago
Message 1 of 7 (26,727 Views)
Accepted Solution

How do I access the recovery partition?

My computer is SR1950nNX. The OS was Winxp media center. The machine crashed and since I didn't use Media Center that much I reinstalled Winxp pro formatting the disk on the way. The recovery partition is still available but I can't access it since hitting F10 when booting takes me nowhere. I must have wiped out the recovery manager. I tried to download a recovery manager from HP site with no success. Can someone help me reinstall the original system from the recovery partition??

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 7 (26,723 Views)

Re: How do I access the recovery partition?

Hi:

See if tapping the F11 key at the beginning of the HP welcome screen gets the recovery manager to launch.

Paul

Tutor
aldago
Message 3 of 7 (26,699 Views)

Thanks for your response. I did as you suggested and tried F11 as well as other Function keys with no success. Is there a setup file within the recovery partiton? I used Hiren's boot disk to look at the files but did not see anything that would start an install. I did not look in the I386 file which normally does house a reinstall starter. Will look at that and report back. In the meantime I think that HPshould offer a recovery manager that I could download. Can't find it though. Anyone know if one exists and where on HP I might find it?

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 7 (26,695 Views)

You're very welcome.

Beyond knowing that the F11 key should launch the recovery manager, unfortunately, I don't have any working knowledge as to how the recovery manager works, how it accesses files, or where the files are located.

There is no revovery manager software available for download.

Worst case scenario is you can order a set of recovery disks by following the instructions at the link below.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00810334&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&sw_lang=&product=40...

If HP no longer has the recovery disks for your model, you may be able to order a set from this vendor who lists they have them in stock.

http://www.computersurgeons.com/productdetails.aspx?ID=544

Paul

Tutor
aldago
Message 5 of 7 (26,694 Views)

Thanks for the info. I think right now i'll try to make a recovery disk using a linux boot disk like Hiren's or Knoppix or even Ubuntu running from a live disk to capture the programs in the recovery partition and see if there isn't some way I can get it to launch. If the I386 file has a winnt32.exe file, which starts a new installation, I'm home free. For informational completeness I'll post what happens.

Student
abby-HP
Message 6 of 7 (26,568 Views)

My computer is model g4-1046tu pavilion,the application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors....

Tutor
aldago
Message 7 of 7 (26,503 Views)

FYI, I was able to access the Winnt32.exe file on the recovery partition using Hiren's Boot Disk Mini XP. From there I was able to easily and successfully reinstall the operating system. Thanks all for you responses and suggestions.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation