Question

Student
kevahern
Message 1 of 3 (3,388 Views)

How do I find out what programs start at boot-up?

I want to minimize what programs run when I boot-up my computer. I use my machine as a home studio and I do not want any unnecessary programs running in the background when recording. How do I find out what programs start automatically when I boot-up my system?

Peace on Earth is achievable and should be the primary goal of anyone who assumes the responsibility of religious or spiritual leadership.
Intern
rfsolive
Message 2 of 3 (3,378 Views)

Re: How do I find out what programs start at boot-up?

Hello!

In Search Box, type "msconfig" and hit Enter. Then, open Startup and see what are the programs that you don't need at Startup and unmark them. But bee careful, cose you need System programs and Anti-vírus to run Windows safely.

Regards,

Rolive

Dean
Vidya
Message 3 of 3 (3,372 Views)

Re: How do I find out what programs start at boot-up?

I think two documents available on HP might help you. Here is the information about tha articles:

Preventing Software from Loading at Windows Vista Startup - Desktop PCs
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00813419&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_US...

Preventing Programs from Starting When Windows Starts - Notebook PCs

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00829746&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_US...

HP MediaSmart TV (If you don't have a tuner) - Remove this from Startup
HP Wireless Assistant - You can only remove this if you are not using Wireless
Java Platform SE 6 U15 - - Remove this from Startup
StartMen Application - This is a part of Cyberlink software. Remove this from Startup
MUI StartMen Application (appears twice in MSCONFIG) - This is a part of Cyberlink software. Remove this from Startup
MUI StartMenu Application (appears twice in MSCONFIG) - This is a part of Cyberlink software. Remove this from Startup
Adobe Acrobat (is this just for updates?) - Remove this from Startup
HP Quick Launch Buttons - If you want to use the line of keys available above the function keys, you need this, otherwise you can remove it from startup
CyperLink MediaLibrary Service - Remove this from Startup
CyperLink PowerCinema - Remove this from Startup
HP DVDSmart - You can remove this if you do not want to start this application on insertion of a DVD.

WMPNSCFG - wmpnscfg.exe is used to alert users when a new media device is found on the network. This is a kind of Autorun feature to check if the inserted device has songs or movie and then launch Windows Media Player accordingly. I would not recommend this for startup. However, I would leave it upto you.

Windows Defender - If your system is protected with any other Antivirus software, you can disable this.

For more specific list, please provide the list so that I can explain the needs and don't in detail.
I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation