Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Last week my computer suddenly got a load of infections and threats, because my AVG resident shield kept popping up and more and more were appearing on the list. After doing a malware scan, and an AVG scan, it told me to restart my computer. I did so and then it just kept restarting over and over and over again.. My mother then had the smart idea to do a system recovery(she pressed F10 when the computer was starting up). I thought it would delete everything, but all my desktop icons from before are still there(although they're not working because it says their not there, unable to boot), so I'm HOPING that all my other important files and photos are still there. I went to the hard disk C and did a bit of browsing and found some photo folders, some with photos and some weren't there. I was told it was a non-destructive recovery, so I'm parying that there is a way to get all my important files back, also my AVG which we paid for. I don't have them backed-up on a CD or anything, so no point mentioning that..

Manufacturer: HP Pavilion 061
Model: DY141A-ABU a510.uk

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

IF it was a non-destructive recovery, the files should be there.  They may have been moved to a folder for safe keeping. Look for a new folder on the C: drive or look here: http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/hp-non-destructive-recovery/181681.html

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Okay, well I downloaded ZAR and did everything necessary, and got some pictures to show up in my pictures. There are folders with nothing in them, though, and some won't display the pictures. What's happening?

Also, do I need to re-install all my programs such as skype, google chrome, etc. again?

HP Recommended

From the comments, I would have to say the programs are gone and will need to be reinstalled.  Anything that can be recovered, should be done before installing anything, however.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Data Recovery on a system that has been written to after formatting is sketchy and costly, but it does not matter if the stuff you lost is worth a fortune.  Of course that data recovery people know that and expect a large amount to recover it, if possible.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

It is possible to recover deleted files back after system recovery, however, you'd better do it as soon as possible as more you wait, more likely the new files will be written to hard disk which may overwrite the space of lost files and make them unrecoverable. For the data recovery, you may refer to this easy to follow step by step guide that helped me before

how to recover data after system recovery

hope this helps.

HP Recommended

While the pie-in-the-sky may still be possible, don't hold your breathe.  Considering the dialogue of the first post, it is doubtful free will do anything but disappoint the user.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended
I run a system recovery and thought it would be saved on D:.. How do i recover my files? HP Pavillion G6
HP Recommended

Of course you can get your files back from your computer after system recovery. There is a good recovery tool - Kvisoft Data Recovery Mac which can recover files after system reinstallation. Here is the guide: 

http://www.kvisoft.com/tutorials/hard-disk-recovery-mac.html

HP Recommended

Try to get a Kvisoft windows data recovery software . This technology is in the market for around one decade and is highly appreciated by users because of its useful nature. Recently, owing to the holiday season, Kvisoft company are providing 30% for all products including their data recovery software, that would be a wonderful chance.

www.kvisoft.com/christmas-discount-promotion.html

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.