Question

Honor Student
timplee
Message 1 of 4 (273 Views)

How do I reinstall Windows XP?

I work for a nonprofit, social service agency that recycles recent-vintage PCs for use by its consumers and clients.  An HP Media Center PC 864n was donated by staff member who requested that I erase the hard drive completely, to erase all trace of his personal files.  He also provided me with an hp system recovery disc, which does say that it contains a backup copy of all software originally installed.  But after I erased the hard drive, and inserted the system recovery disc, I only get an error message, Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter.  In the BIOS Setup, I made sure the first device to boot was the CD-ROM, but I keep getting this same error message, whether I use the CD-ROM drive or the DVD-writer/cd writer combo drive. 

Regents Professor
ManjunathTech
Message 2 of 4 (269 Views)

Re: How do I reinstall Windows XP?

Hi

You have a couple of options as I see it please find the steps given below might fix your issue.

1) Please boot to Bios and run the Hard drive test and check if that is working fine if not you need to replace the Hard drive.

2) If Hard drive test passes then put the RCD in and then use the Esc key that also will enable you to boot from disc check if this option work for you.

3) Or you need to call HP technical support and order for the Recovery disc.

Let us know how it goes!

*Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

****Click the White Kudos star to say thanks****

****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

Regards

Manjunath

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."
****Click the (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post) to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

Regards
Manjunath
Honor Student
timplee
Message 3 of 4 (261 Views)

OK, thank you.  I am home now, and will not be working again until next week or so.  I"ll give it a try next chance I get, and let you know how it turns out.  Thanks again!

Honor Student
timplee
Message 4 of 4 (223 Views)

OK, I tried the suggestions as outlined.  The hard drive is being seen correctly in the BIOS, and is reading fine.  But when I put the HP System Recovery disc in the CD-ROM drive, I get this error message:  Error! PC System not supported.  Press any key to continue. 

It is in fact an HP System Recovery disc, for HP Pavilion Home PC, and the PC is an HP Media Center PC 864n. 

I suspect that when I erased the hard drive, the recovery partition was erased, too, and that might have contained necessary information or data for the re-install.  Can you please advise?  In the meantime, I will also try calling HP technical support.  Thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation