Question
Reply
 
Tutor
Channeler1
Posts: 8
Member Since: ‎03-10-2011
Message 1 of 24 (13,659 Views)
Accepted Solution

How to defrag system disc?

On my HP Windows 7 computer, the System Drive entry on the Disk Defragmenter tool has shown a steadily increasing fragmentation since I bought the computer about 14 months ago. In spite of the admonition that only disks that can be defragmented are shown, the System Drive entry refuses to defrag (all others defrag properly). The System Drive now shows 26% fragmentation, so there are obviously files being written and rewritten on it. Unless I am missing something, the drive definitely does require defragmenting. But how to do it?

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Posts: 4,494
Member Since: ‎09-04-2009
Message 2 of 24 (13,643 Views)

Re: How to defrag system disc?

[ Edited ]

Channeler1 wrote: On my HP Windows 7 computer, the System Drive entry on the Disk Defragmenter tool has shown a steadily increasing fragmentation since I bought the computer about 14 months ago. In spite of the admonition that only disks that can be defragmented are shown, the System Drive entry refuses to defrag (all others defrag properly). The System Drive now shows 26% fragmentation, so there are obviously files being written and rewritten on it. Unless I am missing something, the drive definitely does require defragmenting. But how to do it?

Hello Channeler1, On a HP computer with a Windows 7 hard drive, there are three partitions. The first partition is a System partition, the second is the C: partition and the third partition is the HP Recovery Restore partition.

 

You should only defrag the C: partition. The other partitions should be left as is, without defragmenting.

 

The System partition is created when the operating system is installed and contains data and other information for the operating system. It is only about 100MBs in capacity. It should not be "growing" from the original data from the installation process.

_____________________________________________

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.
_____________________________________________

Tutor
Channeler1
Posts: 8
Member Since: ‎03-10-2011
Message 3 of 24 (13,637 Views)

Re: How to defrag system disc?

 


Hanspuppa wrote:

Hello Channeler1, On a HP computer with a Windows 7 hard drive, there are three partitions. The first partition is a System partition, the second is the C: partition and the third partition is the HP Recovery Restore partition.

 

You should only defrag the C: partition. The other partitions should be left as is, without defragmenting.


This makes no sense to me. Why are the drives shown in the Defragmentation tool those that  can be defragmented, yet one of them, the System drive, cannot? Please explain why this partition should not be defragmented.

 

Tutor
Channeler1
Posts: 8
Member Since: ‎03-10-2011
Message 4 of 24 (13,635 Views)

Re: How to defrag system disc?

 


Hanspuppa wrote:

The System partition is created when the operating system is installed and contains data and other information for the operating system. It is only about 100MBs in capacity. It should not be "growing" from the original data from the installation process.


Although my system drive "should not be growing from the original data," files are clearly being written and/or rewritten, for (as I mentioned in my initial post) the degree of defragmentation has now reached 26% in the 14 months I've owned the computer.

 

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Posts: 4,494
Member Since: ‎09-04-2009
Message 5 of 24 (13,628 Views)

Re: How to defrag system disc?


Channeler1 wrote: This makes no sense to me. Why are the drives shown in the Defragmentation tool those that  can be defragmented, yet one of them, the System drive, cannot? Please explain why this partition should not be defragmented.

 


Hello Channeler1, As I mentioned earlier, the System partition contains data from the Windows 7 installation and certain other data.

 

When you move data around on a hard drive, there is always the possibility of data corruption. For this reason, Windows locks certain portions of data, on the System partition and also within the operating system as well, to prevent the possibility of data corruption when data is moved around.

 

Since the amount of data on the System partition is very little, and it is used primarily just for setup purposes, it does not need to be defragmented.

 

This partition cannot be seen except in the Disk defragmenter utility and in the Administrative Tools section in the Control Panel. It cannot be viewed using Windows Explorer. It is virtually hidden for a specific purpose, to keep it safe from unnecessary data shifting.

 

The reason you can see this System partition is one of Microsoft's little quirks. There may be scenarios where someone with the knowledge to manage the data on the System partiton would need to be able to access this data, but for all others, it is best left alone.

 

There is really no need to do anything with it. If this System partition is tampered with, the operating system may not boot the computer.

 

_____________________________________________

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.
_____________________________________________

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Posts: 4,494
Member Since: ‎09-04-2009
Message 6 of 24 (13,620 Views)

Re: How to defrag system disc?


Channeler1 wrote: Although my system drive "should not be growing from the original data," files are clearly being written and/or rewritten, for (as I mentioned in my initial post) the degree of defragmentation has now reached 26% in the 14 months I've owned the computer.

 


Hello Channeler1, Here  is a link that can provide some information on the Windows 7 System partition.

 

Some of the data on this System partition may indeed be read and overwritten as the system boots and is used.

 

It also may be fragmented more or less from time to time, but there is so little data stored in this partition, it would serve no purpose to defrag it, even if you could.

 

This System partition does include the boot manager, which is used to boot the system every time you turn it on.

 

Sorry I could not explain the purpose for leaving the System partition as it is any better. 

_____________________________________________

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.
_____________________________________________

Tutor
Channeler1
Posts: 8
Member Since: ‎03-10-2011
Message 7 of 24 (13,614 Views)

Re: How to defrag system disc?

[ Edited ]

 


Hanspuppa wrote:
Sorry I could not explain the purpose for leaving the System partition as it is any better. 

No need to be sorry... I appreciate your help and your honesty. I've used computers since the days of a teletype connected to GE timeshare services (way before PCs), and I have a hard time looking at "26% defragmented" and being unable to do anything about it. Perhaps I'll just block it out by placing a bit of adhesive tape at the bottom of my glasses....

Again, thank you for your help.

 

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Posts: 4,494
Member Since: ‎09-04-2009
Message 8 of 24 (13,608 Views)

Re: How to defrag system disc?


Hello Channeler1, Here  is another link that has some more information on the Windows 7 System partition.

 

 

 

_____________________________________________

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.
_____________________________________________

Provost
Big_Dave
Posts: 20,146
Member Since: ‎07-17-2009
Message 9 of 24 (13,573 Views)

Re: How to defrag system disc?

Hi Channeler1,

 

I am not sure what is going on with the SYSTEM partition on your PC but this partition is a reserved not to use partition and it's normally hidden from view.

 

I use Diskkeeper and my SYSTEM partition is disabled from the defragmention process. I analyzed my SYSTEM partition and it looks excellent with no files to defragment.

 

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Tutor
Channeler1
Posts: 8
Member Since: ‎03-10-2011
Message 10 of 24 (13,562 Views)

Re: How to defrag system disc?

[ Edited ]

 


Big_Dave wrote:

 

I am not sure what is going on with the SYSTEM partition on your PC but this partition is a reserved not to use partition and it's normally hidden from view.

 

I use Diskkeeper and my SYSTEM partition is disabled from the defragmention process. I analyzed my SYSTEM partition and it looks excellent with no files to defragment.

 


 

Thank you for your response. I'm happy that your system partition does not fragment, but mine has been slowly growing in fragmentation since I bought the computer. Many have told me that it should not fragment; others have told me that theirs doesn't fragment; but yet others have posted that theirs fragments as does mine (e.g., here is one on this forum).

My system is windows 7 ultimate 64 bit; I'm also using bitlocker on some external discs, if that makes any difference.

My question (to which I have yet to receive an answer) still stands: How do I defragment the system partition, which is obviously being rewritten by the operating system?

 

P.S. Would your Diskeeper program solve this? Which version do you use? Does it appear to be reliable?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation