How to defrag system disc? (12901 Views)
Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 11 of 23 (7,040 Views)

Re: How to defrag system disc?

Hello Channeler1, I found this information while looking for an answer for your question.

The "SYSTEM RESERVED" partition is specifically for the Windows boot files and is better left alone since it's very rarely altered and therefore does not end up badly fragmented. However, if you really do want to defragment it for any reason, you should be able to defrag it from the Disk Management applet by opening Disk Management (type disk management into the Start menu search bar and click the entry that it brings up), then right-clicking the SYSTEM RESERVED partition and opening the Properties window for it, go to the Tools tab and click the button to defrag it from there.

I have not tried this procedure so I cannot verify this will work, but if you still want to defrag the System partition, this may be a way to do it.

Please let us know how this works for you.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

Tutor
Channeler1
Message 12 of 23 (7,036 Views)

Thank you, Hanspuppa; I did as you suggested, but no joy. That procedure simply returns one to the Disk Defragmenter tool, which still will not defragment the system partition.

This is becoming a Great Mystery.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 13 of 23 (7,027 Views)

[ Edited ]

Channeler1,

Diskeeper does have a "boot time" defragmentation option.  I can't say it will solve your problem if Bitlocker keeps updating data on the SYSTEM partition.

You probably would have to turn off Bitlocker to stop the fragmentation.

Bootloader sits in that partition so you can't defrag it via normal means.

Diskeeper has a built in exclusion list and it will not move any file beginning with a $.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-3770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Byl Top Student
Top Student
Byl
Message 14 of 23 (6,996 Views)

Wow, it sure took a lot to get a simple answer to your question!

Here is a simple answer for you -- yes, you can defrag the system drive but not with the built-in (Disk Defragmenter) as you already know.

I too use Diskeeper 2010 (the Professional Premier version) and it keeps all my system files defragmented -- I'm sure it would handle the problems you are having (you can try a fully functional version for 30 days so you can see what it will do for you).

It is very reliable and I have never had any problems with it whatsoever (the company has been around for a long time and they have great tech support if it's needed).

In my opinion, it is the best defrag solution available as it works in the background (so you can use the computer while it defrags) and it also prevents fragmentation. I suggest you get the trial and try it out -- you can learn more about it at http://www.diskeeper.com/

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 15 of 23 (6,982 Views)

[ Edited ]

Byl wrote:

[snip] 

I too use Diskeeper 2010 (the Professional Premier version) and it keeps all my system files defragmented -- I'm sure it would handle the problems you are having (you can try a fully functional version for 30 days so you can see what it will do for you).

It is very reliable and I have never had any problems with it whatsoever (the company has been around for a long time and they have great tech support if it's needed).

In my opinion, it is the best defrag solution available as it works in the background (so you can use the computer while it defrags) and it also prevents fragmentation. I suggest you get the trial and try it out -- you can learn more about it at http://www.diskeeper.com/

There is a free offer here for the full 2011 Pro Premier version of Diskeeper. [Edit - the last of the free copies are spoken for.]

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

Honor Student
mike327
Message 16 of 23 (6,618 Views)

I felt the same way (16%) fragmented and have been using, repairing and everything else in between for many years. So, don't feel bad ...like putting a band aid on broken glasses. Full understand the help reply and small partition but none the less was wondering why fragmented and could not defragment (when listed) as well. It was irritating the heck out of me too. ;-)
Honor Student
mike327
Message 17 of 23 (6,614 Views)

especially when it states that "only disks that _can_ be defragmented are shown"
Student
Rose8407
Message 18 of 23 (6,471 Views)

I feel I need to mention this: You are not alone in this problem! Fragmentation does happen to the System disc! I'm currently having this issue, and my goodness, its slowing my computer to a dull crawl! And my computer is not slow by any stretch. An i5 with 8gb of ram should NOT be acting this way, and it only started happening when my system disc became fragmented! I'm going to try the diskeeper pro...Thank you for mentioning this to the page! I really hope it helps me out, as this computer is slowly driving me batty! And worst part...no viruses or anything! I checked that first. The fragmentation is the only thing I found different.

Student
billsimpson2000
Message 19 of 23 (6,084 Views)

My system partition also shows fragmentation of 6%

Honor Student
JOHNCDEANS
Message 20 of 23 (5,794 Views)

I TOO AM DISTRESSED WITH THE "SYSTEM" DEFRAGLESS THING WITH WINDOWS 7. I ALSO HAVE AN HP SET UP. THE REPLIES I HAVE SEEN SO FAR HAVE NOT BEEN CLEAR ENOUGH FOR ME SUCH THAT I WOULD FEEL SURE AND USE THEM. BY THE APPARENT "ASSIGNMENT" OF THE "DEFRAG" PROGRAM, THE SYSTEM SHOULD NOT ALLOW A BUILD UP OF PERCENTAGE "FRAGMENTED". I ONLY KNOW MINE HAS GONE FROM 0 TO NOW 13% AND IT WILL NOT "DEFRAG". IT WON'T "ANALYZE" EITHER.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation