Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I recently bought an HP Slate 21 computer with Android system installed. My goal was to customize this Android for a specific purpose for my company. As an experience, I "rooted" this Android, installed some apps to modify the system at root level and, as I spected, the system began to fail at initializing.

I know this experience voided my warranty, but I had in mind that when it happened I was able to format, re-install the original Android and begin the experience again.

I followed and tried many times the tutorial for recovering through "Fast Boot Mode > Recovery Mode > Update/Recover...etc", I downloaded the "update.zip" file, tried it over SD Card and ADB Sideload, get many kinds of errors and nothing worked. Probably because I "rooted" the system and deleted important files.

The last thing I did was a general "clean up" via fastboot commands, as following:

> fastboot erase boot
> fastboot erase cache
> fastboot erase recovery
> fastboot erase system
> fastboot erase userdata

Now when I restart the computer it enters on Fast Boot Mode directely and the HP logo is gone. The Recovery Mode option also redirect back to Recovery Mode screen. That's obviously because I erased everything, I know. But I still have the fastboot commands via Terminal and I know that if I had the right files, I would be able to install the original Android again. I tried to "flash" the "update.zip" file via "fastboot update" but I had the following errors:

archive does not contain 'android-info.txt'
archive does not contain 'android-product.txt'
error: update package has no android-info.txt or android-product.txt

I know it is a shot in the dark but "update.zip" is the only source I know to try to bring the original Android back. I also read about the ROMs and images which do that, so, someone know where I found that image? Can I do that by modifying something in the "update.zip" package? There is some way to get the original Android back? Or I just lost my computer?

Thanks!

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

A shot in the dark as you have not mentioned the model you have but perhaps this site for your Jellybean

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4153&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=6967...

Otherwise since this is a commercial product you may get a better response on the HP Business Forum

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please mark my post as SOLVED if it has resolved your problem. It helps others with similar situations.
HP Recommended

Hi Nucci,

The model Im working on is "HP Slate 21-k100". I already downloaded the file "update.zip" from Drivers area of this device which is named as "Google Android Jelly Bean Restore Image". My question is how can I restore the OS since I erased all partitions and now the computer can't enter in the recovery mode as I described. I can only enter on Fast Boot Mode and access via command line with the "fastboot" command.

Im trying to flash the device using the "update.zip" package but nothing worked.

I unpacked the "update.zip" to get the boot.img file and ran `fastboot flash boot boot.img`. Now when I start the computer the HP logo appears and keep in this screen forever.

I also saw the recovery, system and wolo folders in the package, tried to flash each one in those equivalent partition via `fastboot flash <partition> <file>`. I converted this folders into .dmg files to try that, "was sent successfuly" but nothing changed when I restart.

What you suggest me to ask on the bussiness forum? They discuss something technical at this level?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Looks you have done the right steps but obviously dosen't work.

Ask exactly the same question on the business forum, they are geared more to commercial products than we on this forum.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please mark my post as SOLVED if it has resolved your problem. It helps others with similar situations.
HP Recommended

Hi Nuccii,

Thanks for your suggestion, I just posted a question here: http://goo.gl/8ahuVr.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Your welcome, sorry I couldn't help you furtther :Crying:

HP Recommended

Hello,

Im here again. Im still waiting for a help and trying meny things to recover the computer. I'll try to explain better what I need and what I already tried.

As I mentioned, I erased all partitions and "flashed" the boot with the boot.img file contained in the update.zip package. This made the HP logo appears again when I start the computer, but the computer freeze here e the logo still forever.

Why I erased everything? Everytime I tried to recover from SD card selecting "update.zip" an error related to the version aborted the installation. Then I thought if I erased all I'd be able to install without the "aready installed newer version" failure, beacuse there wouldn't have an installed version.

Now I thing I made the mistake when I erased the recovery partition, because I can't enter on Recovery Mode again.

So, there is a "recovery.img" file for my computer somewere which I can flash and get it back?

PS.: I had no answer on the business forum yet.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Don't know how much help I am here but maybe this will help:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04081990

HP Recommended

Thats what I tried to do before erase all partitions but always had installation aborted due to version error. Now I can't even access the Recovery Mode screen. Im searching for the correct "recovery.img" file to put in the recovery partition again.

HP Recommended

Sorry Edimach, I have been doing a lot of googling about this but my knowledge of android products and what to suggest is limited.  All I can suggest for now is trying the Android Forums.

http://androidforums.com/

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.