Question

Tutor
Soliel
Message 1 of 2 (14,551 Views)

How to use Sabrent USB 2.0 to SATA/IDE Hard Drive Adapter to transfer old data

Hi.

I just bought a new HP packard creative Desktop Vista, this year.

I don't know how to transfer my old files, from my very old Gateway Windows 98SE machine (purchased in 1999).

Apparently, my machine is so old (my bad, I waited too long) that I can't even use a flash card to transfer...it won't accept it or something. Ditto I cannot put my files on a disk and move to my new computer (old computer is so messed up it can't do this).

I went to Fry's and they told me my only hope is the Sabrent 2.0 to SATA/IDE Adapter.  I purchased it but the directions are not satisfactory to me.  Not written for the non computer person...I need more definite help.  The Sabrent site was not helpful as well.

My new computer is obviously hooked up and working.  My old computer is sitting on the floor, in the same room, unconnected.

What do I do? Do I connect the old computer with a power source, turn it on, put in the Sabrent Adapter and hope my HP recognizes the new drive?  Or do I plug in the Sabrent adapter first THEN turn on my old machine?  Do I need to connect the keyboard and monitor as well?  Do both machines need to be off first while I connect?

Sabrent, in it's tiny tiny directions mentioned DRIVERS...but I was not clear. Do I need a driver for one or both and how do I get one?  And what if my computer is too old to get a driver (which I think it is)?  There was no CD included in my Sabrent Adapter...so I am confused about the driver issue.

How do I do this?

I am so confused.

If I can take the old hard drive and physically put it in my new computer...I'd do that...but how?  I know how to open my old computer but not the new one.  Would I just slide it in? While my computer is on or off?

Someone please help!  I need to move these files to get on with my life...this is driving me nuts.

Thanks in advance.

Oh, just FYI I did do a search on this.. I am pretty sure this topic has probably been covered however with my search terms "data transfer" I found nothing.  ???  

If you have appropriate search terms to look up old posts...please enlighten me as to what they are and I will do it. Thanks.

Master's Graduate
WendyM
Message 2 of 2 (14,548 Views)

Re: How to use Sabrent USB 2.0 to SATA/IDE Hard Drive Adapter to transfer old data

Hi Soliel,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums. Since this is a duplicate post I'm going to lock this one, please check your other post here for replies:
How to use a Sabrent 2.0 to SATA/IDE Adapter to retrieve dat...

Thanks!

Wendy M - HP Support Forums Moderator

Click the Kudos star as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Be sure to come back and click the 'Accept as Solution' button on the post that solved your issue - it may help someone else.

Rules of Participation

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation