Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Good, at least your up and running.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please mark my post as SOLVED if it has resolved your problem. It helps others with similar situations.
HP Recommended

the next laptop i buy , will come with real retail Windows. x.x  install disks, or it  will be a no sale to me.

in this case 8.1

willing to pay more... sure.

or a new lap top with NO ,O.S. at all.  (up my alley big time this) ( a dream that is unabtanium...)

and saving a ton of bloat- ware to boot.

if files missing , issues is not resolved,  i will buy the full 8.1 ISO and key, and start fresh.

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

first and most importantly THANKS for trying to help.!!!

Windows updates does not kill anything, it enhances the security of your system.  

(we all know that ,  like saying sky is blue) im 66 retired tech,

and the below contradicts above,,  very funny that.... sorry..

If you try to install too many at one time it causes the computer to go crazy.  That is why if recommend installing them 5 at a time.  ( i did 10  at time, 10x. july 20th) day one. and it finally worked.  (a huge waste of time....)

this is MS issue not HP issue at all., so , is not really a topic,... but the flash drive issues  is , it seems.     ??

keep in mind, HP sold a new computer 100 updates short of a full load...  (my guess 2 years behind?)

but i forgive HP for that... really.

Does Disk Management now show the SanDisk Flash Drive?

sure it does,

and changing drive letter, formats , or any possibles does not correct this.

the I tested this 32GB with many blackup programs i have, Paragon pro., Acronis, etc.  and it  just works.\

other checks done:

ran sfc /scannow, no errors.

I copied the HP, recovery partition 23gb to the stick for fun.  it works, then deleted it. (no small task that, huh?)

100mB/s it a real nice stick, the best of best listed, WW.

Have you used this method to create a recovery drive.

http://xxx.cnet. com/ how-to/ how-to-create-a-windows-8-usb-recovery-drive/

this fails too...

ms recover, it says, some files are missing, and in classic, ms fashion fails to list them...

tired to find the errors in event view for recover, and failed,

sorry,,  there are 2 issues but only the one above,  create recovery disk, or flash.

only one, issue, now.

i solved the BIOS, UEFI issue..  (cant have 2 discs with active bit set, and takes, power of god to flip it off, )

system runs fast and strong.....

I read my event logs...

i have 3  AODdriver  fnf (file not founds) for the display chip

and some, Pfndwrco,  errors. same Fnf. error..

and failed to create restore points. (my guess,not a good thing)

i went to restore point, CP and found it OFF and turned it on, for C: and did creat SP, and it passed.

it said to run chkdsk /f and id, and is  ok, as is SFC.

LT with no O.S:?

no, HP dont sell laptops with ou t any, O.S.... preinstalled.  sadly,   

in reality, i  find the bloatware subsidizes, the ,so OEM versions are  really free, and just useless.. to the serious users.

ill buy a real retail, OS.  (  next time,  ill just erase the HDD and load fresh retail, like if done on 100s  + of DT.)

and solve this.  

unless we can find the missing files? any one have a clue as to how to track those.

thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi Savvy2,

SanDisk changed the firmware in their newer products so that the USB drive appears as a local drive and not as a removal media device. The older HP Recovery Manager keys on this information and that is why the HP Recovery Manager doesn't recognized your flash drive.  Review the below information that was compiled by Erico.

Success

Transcend USB 3.0 16Gb 

Team Group F108 64G ( reported as a success by Big_Dave) 

PNY Turbo 3.0 - 32GB 

Lexar Jumpdrive M10 Secure 64GB  USB 3.0 

Patriot Rage 3.0  32GB

Failure

Kingston DataTraveler 100 G3 32 GB

Kingston DT R3.0 USB 3.0 32Gb 

ADATA Pro s102 - 32GB USB 3.0

Sandisk Extreme 3.0 32GB
Sandisk Cruzer Blade USB 2.0 Flash Drive 32GB

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Thanks !

ah, the bleeding edge of technolgy.

so when buying a 2 year old LT in 2014 , be sure to pick up a 2 year old thumb drive, LOL !

good luck  finding a 32gb 2 year old thumb drive.....  23 min. is the spec., powers of 2 and all that.

both the HP and ms create recovery ,fail  to external USB HDD too..... some fine software, there... 

like jumping thought the  eye of  needle..

i suspected that , so i then  got fixated on , why the MS side fails. ms create. ......

gets me to the blue   screen MS  create disk and ,  fails, with "some file missing"

the funnest post of all. is

never ,use a MS windows 8 certified,  flash stick with MS windows 8 create disk appl.  (wow)

i dig it, but does the average joe?

HP Recommended

ok , now I have over $100 in flash sticks, 

id have been better off buying  a new win8.1 retail key, and now i have all the recover id ever need.

sad but true.

its like back in windows 95 days,  to floopy,  disk 1 fails,. then 2,3....., and well  nothing new under the sun....

HP Recommended

...So one needs to find a flash drive that's NOT windows 8/.8.1 compliant in order to create a recovery drive?..For a windows 8/8.1 system?

Did someone forget to check what operating system they were making the recovery software for? Why, after two years, is there not an update to fix this obvious oversight? FIX rebecca.exe so it works on  devices that were made to be compliant on the operating system they're meant to backup!

HP Recommended

The problem here is not HP but the some of the flash drive manufacturers. 

Some of them have been made to  be recognized as a removable hard drive and not a normal removable flash drive.  That is where the problem lies.  The still must be Windows 8/8.1 compliant.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please mark my post as SOLVED if it has resolved your problem. It helps others with similar situations.
HP Recommended

the problem is , what ever code can't recognize  the top 50 sticks is bad  code

period.

the 2 years statement, is by me reading file creation dates, in the system folders.

to see how old the hp build is,

for 2014 (this LT) its 2 years ago.

and my joke.'

if you have a  new 2014 (2Yo) laptop be sure to buy 2 year old USB flash sticks. (LOL) get it?

but i dont blame HP , i blame me,  

next time,, ill remove the HDD, and park it on a shelf.

put in a new SSD and installed retail 8.1.   OEM lic. be danged.

but in my case even the windows. blue screen create disk fails. for (missing files) wish i could find the names of those files.

ive read the event logs, to no solution...

HP Recommended

excerpts from sandisk guru

Re: Sandisk Cruzer Force 32GB USB recognized as hard drive instead of Removable Storage driver.

The hard drive concept is in support of Microsoft's Windows 8 To Go concept.  And while Sandisk was supporting that concept for a while it no longer is What the difference is in the packaging of the Cruzers to indicate which is which I don't know.  Sorry.

SanDisk's RMA may cover returns for this situation.

Ed

and post 2 ,   gota love sandisk
they dont mark the packaging to let you know if its a removable or HDD based stick.

bleeding edge , chaos, rules the business..

more facts.

oops, i bought a turkey,  and Edisel.
but is the fastest on earth "extereme"  100mB/S write time rates..... fast.....
i also deleted the driver and it reinstalled same...
nore is format a issue, its in the hardware chip in the stick.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.