I CAN NO LONGER ADD A "NEW FOLDER" WITHIN FOLDERS IN MY DOCUMENTS LIBRARY (198 Views)
Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Message 11 of 21 (132 Views)

Re: I CAN NO LONGER ADD A "NEW FOLDER" WITHIN FOLDERS IN MY DOCUMENTS LIBRARY

You have a few different options.  I need to point out that a "Restore" is different than a "Recovery."  A restore takes your computer back to a previous time but leaves your (personal) files mostly intact and a Recovery is a reinstall of the operating system (it takes the computer back to factory conditions).

I suggest you try the solutions in the following order.

First, if you have an old enough Restore point then I suggest you try that.  Here are the instructions for a Microsoft System Restore.

The second option is to perform the registry fix.  Make sure to back up the registry first as per these instructions.  Then you'll need to follow these instructions to perform the fix.

Finally, if neither of the above suggestions has worked you should back up all of your data and perform the recovery.  It is very important that you back up anything you do not want to lose and verify that you're able to retrieve the data before performing a recovery.  Once the recovery is performed the data will be lost forever.  Here are the steps for the recovery.

Let me know what the results are.  Have a lovely day!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

I work for HP.
Top Student
GAYLE13
Message 12 of 21 (122 Views)

GOOD MORNING,  AND I SO APPRECIATE YOU BEING SO PATIENT WITH ME.  I TRIED A SYSTEM RESTORE JUST NOW.  BUT THEY ONLY GAVE ME RECENT DATES, AND I WANT TO GO BACK FURTHER - TO MAY 1 - (I WAS AWAY FOR 6 MONTHS AND FEEL CERTAIN IT WAS WORKING PROPERLY WHEN I GOT BACK).  THAT'S WHY MAY 1.  BUT I TRIED TO TYPE IN THAT DATE AND WAS UNABLE TO.  I RAN ONE OF THE OTHER DATES JUST TO SEE HOW IT WOULD GO -  NOTHING WAS CHANGED BUT ONE FILE COULD NOT BE ACCESSED DUE TO ANTIVIRUS PROGRAM.  I KNOW THIS IS STRANGE, BUT I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DISABLE MY ANTIVIRUS - AVG 2013 - FREE EDITION.  BUT IF YOU CAN TELL ME HOW TO SET MY OWN DATE I'LL RUN IT AGAIN, 

THANKS SO MUCH!

Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Message 13 of 21 (117 Views)

You are very welcome GAYLE13.  I am just happy to be able to help you fix this issue.

If I am understanding you correctly the date you wanted (May 1st) is not available and you want to try to create that date.  If that is the case it won't be possible, unfortunately.  Only a certain amount of dates/points are stored away for restoration.  You'll need to move on to performing the other suggested steps (either restoring the registry or performing a System Recovery).

Remember, back up your data before performing a system recovery!

Also, you mentioned you didn't know how to disable your anti-virus.  If you ever need to know in the future you can take a look at this article from AVG.

Have a great day and an amazing weekend! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

I work for HP.
Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Message 14 of 21 (100 Views)

Hello again GAYLE13.

I was wondering if you had an update to your issue.  Were either of my suggestions able to resolve the issue?

I work for HP.
Top Student
GAYLE13
Message 15 of 21 (98 Views)

I'M SORRY - I HAVEN'T HAD A CHANCE TO TRY THE NEXT STEP.  BEEN REALLY BUSY.  (ON A CONVENTION COMMITTEE).  BUT WILL TRY TONIGHT. 

THANKS FOR CHECKING UP.

GAYLE

Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Message 16 of 21 (97 Views)

[ Edited ]

Not a problem GAYLE13 and you're very welcome! :smileyhappy:

I understand that it may take a little time if you're at a convention; there is absolutely no rush.  As a matter of fact if you need to wait a little while before performing the steps I invite you to private message me when you've updated the thread.  This will ensure that I see it.

This thread can show you how to send me a private message.

Have a great time at the convention.

I work for HP.
Top Student
GAYLE13
Message 17 of 21 (89 Views)

I'M NOT AT A CONVENTION - ON A PLANNING COMMITTEE FOR AN UPCOMING CONVENTION..........I GUESS I'M GOING TO TRY TO EDIT THE REGISTRY.
Top Student
GAYLE13
Message 18 of 21 (85 Views)

I GUESS I'M NOT MEANT TO HAVE FOLDERS.  I GOT THE FOLLOWING REGISTRY ERROR MESSAGE:  CANNOT IMPORTC:\USERS\GAYLE\DESKTOP\NEWFOLDER.RED:  NOT ALL DATA WAS SUCCESSFULLY WRITTEN TO THE REGISTRY.  SOME KEYS ARE OPEN BY THE SYSTEM OR OTHER PROCESSES. 

I'M AM A LOSS AND I'M NOT GOING TO DO A RECOVERY. 

THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP.  NOT SURE WHY THINGS HAVE NOT WORKED OUT. 

SINCERELY,

GAYLE

Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Message 19 of 21 (76 Views)

[ Edited ]

When you created the "NewFolder.reg" file did you right click it and select "run as administrator?"  This will be required as it needs administrative permissions to make changes to this part of the system.  If that still fails to work I suggest you start your computer in Safe Mode and try adding the keys again.  Using Safe Mode should keep the keys from being "in use" and allow you to edit it as needed.

If this still doesn't work I urge you to reconsider the recovery process. The registry for your computer is messed up.  At this point you're unable to create new folders and this will cause your computer to no longer be usable in its normal fashion.  You'll likely be unable to install new applications or even perform certain updates.  You should back up your data to a CD/DVD/thumbdrive and look into the recovery.  Here is another link to the instructions.

Have a great week.

I work for HP.
Top Student
GAYLE13
Message 20 of 21 (69 Views)

ACTUALLY - NOT SURE HOW IT HAPPENED. BUT JUST FOR KICKS I CLICKED ON NEW FOLDER IN ONE OF THE FOLDERS I WANTED ANOTHER, AND I GOT ONE. VERY STRANGE. ANYWAY - WILL KEEP THIS MESSAGE FROM YOU IF I NEED TO PROCEED. THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HELP. DON'T WORK TOO HARD!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation