Question

Tutor
boulonman
Message 1 of 3 (565 Views)

I cannot turn on my windows defender program

Hi, my pavillion a610t has MS essentials protection software and windows defender, but my windows defender is turned off and when I try to open it and click "start" in the popup box that allows you to turn it on or off, my whole desktop freezes up and I have to log off to close the windows defender box and use my PC normally. Under "startup" it is listed as being enabled and I also have the same problem trying to turn off and back on, my system locks up. Should I uninstall it and re-install it? Or is there a way to turn it on a different way?

thank you for any assistance!     boulonman

Boulonman
Distinguished Professor
HardBeatZ
Message 2 of 3 (549 Views)

Re: I cannot turn on my windows defender program

Hello boulonman,

What operating system is your computer running?

This Microsoft KB explains some steps that can be done for Windows XP and Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555957

While this forum post explains ways you can interact with Windows defender on Windows 7, one of the turn on steps involves the registry so I would carefully review before you attempt to do anything.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/6397-windows-defender-turn-off.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have helped you in any way click the Kudos button to say Thanks.
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
Tutor
boulonman
Message 3 of 3 (528 Views)

Re: I cannot turn on my windows defender program

Thank you kindly for your help hbzt, I looked into your suggestions and I found some good ideas, I just am swamped in finals right now to try them all out but I have no doubt I will find my answer and more.

peace,, boulonman

Boulonman
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation