Question

Honor Student
randyzname
Message 1 of 8 (7,027 Views)

I need a Ethernet Controller Driver but can't connect to the internet to download

I have a I have a hp Pavilion a1040n desk top that runs XP. I turned my PC on and couldn't connect to the internet. I checked the device manager and realized the ethernet controller driver is either missing or corrupt. Can anyone tell me where I can find the correct driver for my model and then how I'm going to download it to a disc or just how I'm going to solve the problem with no internet connection? I would really appreciate the help solving this problem. Here is the only thing I can find from the  properties:

Code 1

Device instance ID:

PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_8139&SUBSYS_2AOB103C&REV_10\4&23COB1C&O&10FO

Thanks You.

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 2 of 8 (7,003 Views)

Re: I need a Ethernet Controller Driver but can't connect to the internet to download

[ Edited ]

Hello randyzname, There may be several options that will get your network device working again if it just has a driver issue.

You might try a Windows Restore Point first and see if the drivers can be recovered.

If this does not work or you are unsuccessful, you might try going to the Control Panel, System, Hardware Management, Device Manager, locate the network device, right click and uninstall it. Close out of all the Windows and reboot the system.

Windows should find new hardware and reinstall the drivers for it. This will only work if the original drivers are not corrupted.

If all this fails, you may want to make sure the network card is not defective. This is always a possibility, but more likely a driver isssue as you mentioned.

If you have no success, you may need to locate and download the drivers on another system that has a connection to the Internet, and save them to a USB flash drive or burn them to a CD and install them in this manner.

Your specifications reveal the you have a Realtek RTL8101L device.

Here is the Link  for some Windows XP 32 bit Realtek Network drivers for the model for your system.

If you are using Windows XP 64 bit, these drivers will not work, but I suspect, due to the age of your system, you would be using Windows XP 32 bit.

Please let us know how you come out.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

Student
3catsjean
Message 3 of 8 (6,991 Views)

Re: I need a Ethernet Controller Driver but can't connect to the internet to download

The same thing happened to me when I got a new pc. I just inserted the cd that came with my roadrunner internet service for the modem and got the driver off there. It took 2 seconds and I was back online!

Honor Student
randyzname
Message 4 of 8 (6,989 Views)

Thanks a ton Hanspuppa . I will get after it and try the options you mentioned and let you now how it turns out.  

Provost
CherylG
Message 5 of 8 (6,975 Views)

If uninstalling it & rebooting doesn't work, you can always try to reinstall the driver using HP Application Recovery in your Start Menu,All Programs:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07142&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=459882

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
randyzname
Message 6 of 8 (6,968 Views)

Thanks for your help Hanspuppa and CherylG. I took Hans suggestion and saved the correct driver to a cd and uploaded it to the non-connect pc but the wizard cannot find the file...even when I select the file/folder it's in it won't recognize that it's there. It says it can't find it. Then I tried CherylG's suggestion of using the application recovery and it looked like it was going to work because the correct driver showed up on the list but after going through the process it still didn't take away the yellow ?. I'm baffled! Any other suggestions? I really appreciate everyone's help.

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 7 of 8 (6,957 Views)

randyzname wrote: Thanks for your help Hanspuppa and CherylG. I took Hans suggestion and saved the correct driver to a cd and uploaded it to the non-connect pc but the wizard cannot find the file...even when I select the file/folder it's in it won't recognize that it's there. It says it can't find it. Then I tried CherylG's suggestion of using the application recovery and it looked like it was going to work because the correct driver showed up on the list but after going through the process it still didn't take away the yellow ?. I'm baffled! Any other suggestions? I really appreciate everyone's help.

Hello randyzname, Sorry those efforts did not work for you. In the past when I encountered issues with onboard network devices, and reinstalling drivers, and all the other suggestions that have been offered did not wok, I simply installed a new PCI network card and the problem was resolved. It is possible the onboard network device has become faulty.

Here  is the link for the specifications for your system. It shows the system has three PCI slots, with two slots available.

I would remove the side panel and verify you do indeed have one PCI slot available and not obstructed so you could install an independent PCI network card in one of the available PCI slots. These PCI network cards are fairly cheap in price.

Here  is a link to NewEgg where you can find a PCI network card at a reasonable price. This link is for a NetGear card, but there are others as well and other vendors also that supply these cards.

Just some thoughts

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 8 of 8 (6,957 Views)

Hi:

The device details you posted reveal you have the Realtek card with the 8139 chip.

Download the first driver on the list, on another PC. Copy it to a flash drive and install on the PC with the missing network adapter.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=6&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTy...

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation