IQ506 Recovery - Windows cannot install and reboots (669 Views)
Honor Student
fkewlb
Message 1 of 8 (669 Views)

IQ506 Recovery - Windows cannot install and reboots

Short story : Hdd died, replace with almost same disk (still 500gb, 7200rpm, sata but different company/model#)

Followed video from HP on how to open back cover and replace hdd

Have Future Shop recovery disks Labeled : HP IQ506 C(1,2,3)D T5805

Followed HP instructions as given from recovery disk installation

After the third disk is ejected and reboots,

Windows starts

Only msg on the screen is "Windows cannot install on this system. Please reinstall from disk" (or something similar)

Then reboots.

Done all PC-Doctor tests , everything ok

Whats a guy to do now? Do i really need the exact same company/model# Hdd ? 

Regents Professor
wb2001
Message 2 of 8 (662 Views)

Re: IQ506 Recovery - Windows cannot install and reboots

You do not need the same hard drive,  just a drive the same size or larger.

Just to be sure, did you follow these steps?  http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01684708&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc...

I noted the vendor made the DVD's for you. Are they DVD-R?  If so, order a new set from here:

http://www.computersurgeons.com/SearchProducts.aspx?sbt=IQ506&bkm=Results#Results

The Law of Effect states that positive reinforcement increases the probability of a behavior being repeated. (B.F.Skinner). You toss me points, and I perform better.

To say THANK YOU, press the white "thumbs up" on the left, to render a KUDO.
Please click Accept as Solution, just to the right of my reply if your problem is solved.
You can render both Solution and KUDO

HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB WIN7-64bit
Custom Asus P8P67 board, I7-2600k, WIN7 Pro 64bit, GTX670 2GB, 16GB RAM, 750W OCZ, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
HP m9200t CTO,Win7 Pro 32 bit. ASUS 550Ti 2GB, Rosewill 630W
HP m8100eCTO WIN7 Ultimate 32bit. XFX5670 1GB, Rosewill 530W.
Printer -- OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus, HP Deskjet F4135

Provost
CherylG
Message 3 of 8 (647 Views)

Does your new drive have AF (Advanced Format) stamped on it?

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
fkewlb
Message 4 of 8 (642 Views)

wb2001 : i'll verify the Drive order issue tonight, but i would rather not order, but i will if nothing else works

Cherylg: Yes, the drive has a black logo with AF in white on it.  would i need to change something in the bios?

Provost
CherylG
Message 5 of 8 (626 Views)

Vista has problems with AF drives. Some of the manufacturers have a tool for the AF drives.Visit the wesite of the one you purchased.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
fkewlb
Message 6 of 8 (620 Views)

Reading up on AF and guess i choose wrongly in my replacement drive

Since i have a usb drive connector, i wanted to see what was installed

Installed the Intel Rapid Storage driver on my winxp HP laptop to make sure i was able to read the drive

Installed Virtual Box, created a virtual computer and booted it with a LiveCD of GParted

I unconnected the drive from the IQ500 and connected by USB on my WinXP laptop

I found that it had created 2 partitions, one 11gb for the Restore and a 48gb partition named HP with standard Vista folders inside

So i resized the partition to take all of the rest of the disk (480gb) with Gparted

Also downloaded the HP tool "Paragon Alignement Tool" and ran that on the partition (which was flagged as "unoptimized")

Then.. it was late and we will see tonight when i replug everything and see if it finaly works.

Top Student
bigtime2
Message 7 of 8 (593 Views)

I saw this post about DVD-R disks used for to burn recovery disks. Are you not supposed to burn Recovery disks on DVD-R?  I used that type for the recovery disks to a new P7-1225 but because of issues with the burning process ordered a set from HP to be on the safe side. It would be valuable to know in the future though. Thank you

Honor Student
fkewlb
Message 8 of 8 (588 Views)

And sadly, no, it still says "unable to install windows on this system" (or something similar.)

I just hope that if i order the recovery disk (50+$) , they will work on an AF drive. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation