Installed new hard drive, recovery disks still not working (881 Views)
Top Student
pww5470
Message 1 of 11 (881 Views)

Installed new hard drive, recovery disks still not working

Been going round and round with my Pavilion a6150y and trying to use the recovery disks. Would run the disks, PC acted like it was reinstalling everything and then eventually would reboot at some point and I would get Error Windows Recovery. Would always loop back to this no matter how many times I tried.

Got a new hard drive today, installed it with no problems, ran the HP recovery disks with no issues. Everything seemed to be working and then on one of the reboots, I got the same Error Windows Recovery screen. Gives me the option to go into safe mode or start windows normally. If I go to safe mode, a box pops up that says can not open safe mode because Windows hasn't finished installing. If I start Windows normally, it will just loop back to the Error screen.

What else could this problem be? Any ideas of what else I can go? I've tested the memory and there were no issues. I made sure only the mouse, keyboard, monitor and power supply were the only things plugged in. The keyboard is a USB connection.

Thanks,

Patrick

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 11 (872 Views)

Re: Installed new hard drive, recovery disks still not working

If you have 2 sticks of memory, remove 1 and try the install. If no joy,switch them out and try again.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Top Student
pww5470
Message 3 of 11 (865 Views)

Thanks! Tried removing one this morning and tried again, got the same error. Ran out of time before work so I'll try with the other memory stick early this afternoon and see if that will maybe work.

Top Student
pww5470
Message 4 of 11 (862 Views)

Was able to get home for a little bit and tried the other memory stick but had the same result. Runs through the process and then it will eventually reboot and still getting Error Windows Recovery.

Any other ideas on what could be the problem like the motherboard or video card? I had removed the sound card since it was not the original one.

Thanks

Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 5 of 11 (844 Views)

My Apologies, but I would have something to offer here, but before doing that I need some info,

• Was the new hard drive shipped from HP?
  • The recovery disk used in this case, is that HP shipped or self Created?
  • You mention about sound card being added to original config, is the anything else added to original config both external & internal?

I see, one of 3 things to be issue out there, Memory, Hard drive itself or recovery disk, the above info will help me work thru it....

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
Provost
CherylG
Message 6 of 11 (834 Views)

@Cyclops

He gets the same error on original hdd and new hdd.:smileywink:

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 7 of 11 (829 Views)

[ Edited ]

@ CherylG - new or old, wanted to make sure, that diag on the hard drive passes...that way, we can take i out of the equation or reduce the possibility of that being a problem.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Top Student
pww5470
Message 8 of 11 (823 Views)

I got it working! :smileyhappy:

I found the answer from a microsoft forum. There is some kind of issue the nvidia geforce video cards, dvi output and maybe with some windows update. Anyway, solution was to remove the card, hook up a vga cable and it worked fine.

Now I'll have to get the video card working again, just need to update the latest drivers and reinstall and hope that I won't have the problem again.

Thanks to everyone who helped!

Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 9 of 11 (822 Views)

Great!

Quick Question, was the graphic card part of original system config or it was added by you?

Top Student
pww5470
Message 10 of 11 (805 Views)

Hello,

it is the original graphics card from when I had ordered the PC three years ago.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation