Question

Top Student
Riverbend2
Message 1 of 16 (1,154 Views)
Accepted Solution

Installing Windows 7 on HP Pavilion, m9400t, 64-bit

I have been trying unsuccessfully  for three weeks to install Windows 7 Ultimate from Vista Home Premium onto my HP Pavilion, m9400t, 64-bit desktop after my hard drive crashed.  I've tried clean installs and upgrades onto a new 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda.  I've run the Windows Upgrade Advisor and it indicates I can upgrade to Ultimate.  I consulted the HP site on upgrading to Win7 and updated my bios.

In the case of a clean install, at the very end of the install as it is completing a message quickly (so quickly I had to use a movie camera to capture it) appears stating "Windows setup could not configure windows to run on this machines hardware."   After this message the machine turns off.  Note that only the original components are attached to the machine (no printer, extra USB devices, added PCI boards).

In the case of the upgrade, I receive a message stating "This version of window could not be installed" and Vista is restored.

I called Microsoft support and they recommended I try a different installation disk and that didn't help. they also walked me through a disk reformat and that didn't help.   I also exchanged the hard drive and that didn't help.

I'm at a loss.

Honor Student
ACTW
Message 2 of 16 (1,147 Views)

Re: Installing Windows 7 on HP Pavilion, m9400t, 64-bit

I not sure these suggestions you already heard before or not, but I try to my best on your troubles as follows :

1. About during upgrade steps, OS show ""Windows setup could not configure windows to run on this machines hardware", it possible the Vista driver are running, so win7 driver can not overwrite it or Win7 upgrade OS did not including these driver.

If the problem is above, you should let it continue install, win7 will use defualt driver or unknown device of device manager,then you can download win7 driver from HP site (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3832...  ) then ugprade it after win7 install success.

2. The message "This version of window could not be installed", it look like your win7 OS file can not pass the Microsoft Certiication digisingature, I think that you need to double confirm with your buying source, either HP or Microsoft.

Top Student
Riverbend2
Message 3 of 16 (1,137 Views)

Thank you ACTW for responding.

Regarding 1. This message occurs when I try a clean install.  Here I boot from the installation disk, select the Advanced install option, such that the disk is reformatted and thus removing Vista.  Just as the install is in the finishing installation step the computer shuts down.  When I start the computer it produces the BSOD and a memory dump.  I've tried Windows Repair with several restarts, but this did not fix the problem.

Regarding 2. I'll think about this, but I'm using legitimate operating system disks.  The Vista disk is from the recovery disk I created when I bought the computer.  The Win7 Ultimate is an upgrade disk purchased commercially.  My understanding is that this disk can be used to upgrade or a clean install.  I don't get to the point in the installation that it asks for the software key.

Teacher
Kuerten1
Message 4 of 16 (1,132 Views)

Hi River. Are you getting frequent BSOD on this notebook even if you're not trying to upgrade? 

In this case, I would try another disc just for testing purposes if its really the notbook that wont let you install. Try a linux OS, see if you can just do a clean install. 

Top Student
Riverbend2
Message 5 of 16 (1,121 Views)

Thank you Kuerten.  When the hard drive started failing I exerienced the BSOD on this desktop.  Before that all was fine.  The linux OS is an option I'll have to consider it if I can't get this box working with windows.  I have an Ubuntu OS boot disk that works fine on this machine.

Honor Student
ACTW
Message 6 of 16 (1,112 Views)

Hi River,

I not sure your installation steps, but you can reference this discussion, which post on Microsoft Knowldage Base, as follows :

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/vista-oem-windows-7-upgra...

And I noticed that you said some error messages show but you did not capture it. It possible will be the activate action fail. In your HP PC, its BIOS including a activate key inside, so when you install Vista by HP recovery CD, this CD will automatic check with BIOS, and no need you enter activate key or update from Micorsoft website.

But when you buy Windows 7 upgrade DVD from Microsoft directly, it will be non OEM version ( Retail version ). That means your HP PC BIOS activate key will not support it because the original BIOS OEM activate key will be for Vista.

Here is some activate error code, if you can see the discussion

:http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/windows7-activation-error...

Top Student
Riverbend2
Message 7 of 16 (1,095 Views)

Hi ACTW,

I actually did capture the message before the computer shuts down after a clean install and mentioned it in my original post. 

You make an interesting point about the retail and OEM version and the activation key.  Are you saying I would have better luck with an OEM version of Windows 7?

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 8 of 16 (1,058 Views)

[ Edited ]

No, you wouldn't have better luck using an OEM version of Windows 7. Your problem is most likely related to the fact that;

You are installing Windows by using Windows 7 RTM media.
Note: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) is not affected by this issue.

Your system has an Intel storage controller that is configured to "RAID" mode in the BIOS.

The hard drive(s) you are installing to are likely to be "Advanced Format" disks.

According to the HP m9400t system specs, your computer has an Intel storage controller and standard configurations appear to use RAID. Please read and follow the instructions presented in this Microsoft Knowledge Base article for a possible fix.

Also note that according to the specs, your system came with 2 x 320GB hard drives which may be in a RAID array.

Frank

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.

HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
Provost
Big_Dave
Message 9 of 16 (1,055 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Try the following:

Be sure to backup your data.

Boot up your PC into the bios (f10 setup) and make sure the SATA controller mode is set to AHCI and save the setting. If the PC was set to RAID then you will not be using RAID for this installation.

Now boot up the Windows 7 Ult. 64 bit upgrade disk. You do have the upgrade license key, right?

Don't not enter the key or activate (in fact remove the internet connection).

When you get to the installation screen, select custom and do a full format and not a quick format. Now complete the installation.

Did the above work? if yes, then do the following with Windows 7 running:

Insert the upgrade disk

Run Install

Turn off Automatically Activate

Select UPGRADE

Enter Key

Finish Upgrade - takes longer and screen goes dark at times

Reboots

Plug into network

Activate

If everything works correctly, you should have a clean valid installation of Windows 7.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad, HP Chromebook 11
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Top Student
Riverbend2
Message 10 of 16 (1,012 Views)

Big_Dave,

Thank you for your suggestion.  I made sure the SATA controller mode is set to AHCI (it was not) and saved the settings.  I booted from the Win7 disk and wasn't asked for a license key (yes I have one).  However, the Windows 7 installation disk only presented one option for formatting the drive.  Given that it took about 1 sec it was not a full format.  With no other options, I proceeded with the quick reformat and tried the installation.  It failed as before.  One reboot occurs, it says it is completing the installation the screen flashes a couple times with a couple different screen resolution settings, then the error window appears and the machine turns off. Subsequent startups indicate that the installation was not successful.  Is there another way to do a full format.

Alternately, given that it appears to be exploring screen resolution settings just before the error message, could that be another thing to consider?  FYI, I'm using the HDMI port and my TV as a display.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation