Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 500-223w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

There are many reports identical or similar to this one. I have not found a proper answer. My experience suggests that a bug exists (duh!) probably in the driver wherein the mechanism for activating display devices after a period of sleep has changed in Windows 10 (compared to the same handler in prior versions of Windows). Therefore the device driver owners are baffled because "it worked before" and Microsoft is baffled because "that's just how it works". Work it out, please.

My particular case:

One VGA monitor and One HDMI monitor each plugged into the appropriate port(s) of the video controller.

There is no other video controller installed.

The video controller is auto-configured as Graphic Device 1.

It is an embedded on the motherboard device; an Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400.

In versions of Windows prior to 10 the configuration worked fine:

When left alone for a time the computer went into sleep mode and both monitors went to sleep in the "no signal present" mode.

When the computer was awakened by keyboard or mouse both monitors woke up and the appropriate "extended" screen was displayed on each.

After the upgrade to Windows 10 under the same configuration and status, the VGA display wakes up but the HDMI display remains in the "no signal present" mode (i.e. does not wake up). Attempting to extend to two screens and othe similar manipulations fail because the system does not "see" the other display device.

Following proposed solutions found online, I updated the Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400 driver to:

10.18.15.4256 (7/17/2015) from HP support. Intel only has an older generic driver and they refer users back to the computer OEM for specific hardware appropriate drivers. The latest driver does not change the behavior; the problem still exists. I have a workaround, but we should not have to use workarounds to perform routine tasks like this.

If anyone has had success in Windows 10 with the generic Intel driver or rolling back to old versions (which one?) of the HP driver, I'd like to hear about the results. 

If there is a Microsoft solution that I have somehow missed, I'd like to know about that as well. Shouldn't a Microsoft fix been rolled out in one of the auto-updates if they have one?

Can't anyone at HP duplicate this behavior? I am retired from HP, but I used to replicate bugs like this all the time and then file (and follow-up) appropriate bug reports.

I'm sure, from my research, that I speak for many people: we need a fix, not a work-around!

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Good luck to all of us as we debug Windows 10 together.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hate to follow up to my own post, but:

I'm baffled. This morning, after nearly 6 (six) hours of "sleep", when I pressed the space bar on my keyboard to wake up my computer I actually got both displays back up. First time in a week this has happened!

It did take longer than normal and I did have to "click-in" to one of the two screens, which was blank up until then (instead of both screens coming alive together and showing my extended desktop, which is how it used to work).

Welcome to Windows 10, your equal opportunity aggravation. 

HP Recommended

[I must have been too specific in my Subject - not getting any replies!]

After yesterday morning I was HOPING that something had changed and the problem was solved. 

Alas, not so. This morning the problem was there just like it had never skipped a beat. When I went to wake up the computer neither display came up (although of course the computer came up trying to write to SOME display).

I did my usual workaround. Since DVI ports are hot swappable, I unplugged the HDMI monitor. As usual, the VGA monitor came alive and I was able to log in. I plugged the HDMI monitor back in - still nothing. Again as usual for this situation I rebooted. Sure enough, after the "Restart" both monitors came up in my normal "extended" display configuration and I was able to go about my work.

After leaving the computer to go to sleep, late in the day the problem came back when I attempted to go back to work. The funky work-around did the trick.

I may try rolling to the older Intel HD driver that they would prefer you not to use.

Anybody have any other ideas?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Did you try uninstalling the existing driver in Device Manager and then rebooting? Did you try clicking on the device in Device Manager and searching for a driver update?

Did you try the Windows 8.1 Intel driver from the HP product support site?

The issue you are having is not new as there are numerous posts on the Intel forum site. 

Thanks for posting on the forum.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Hi Dave, thank you for your reply.

I did uninstall and let the system reboot to find and load the driver. SOP for driver problems. 🙂 

The driver version number did not change, nor did the behavior.

I also let the Device Manager search for and load a driver update. This resulted in the HP version of the driver being installed. Again, this was not an improvement. I also did a clean self-install of that driver with no change in the symptoms.

I have NOT rolled back to the Windows 8.1 Intel driver (from HP or anywhere else). I had read that people had problems with older drivers - also, Microsoft's standard reply to the problem is to load the latest Windows 10 version of the drivers. Do you know anyone who has had success with this? Not that we should have to roll to old drivers anyway.

BTW, do you know if anyone has had success running the default driver from Intel (the non-OEM specific version from their site that they do NOT recommend)?

As I mentioned in my first post, I know this problem is not unique to me. In addition to the Intel forum, several (one is tempted to say MANY) other forums/discussions have documented the problem with trying to run dual displays (or more) under Windows 10 where the SAME exact hardware configuration worked in prior versions (7 or 8). And it is not limited to Intel built-in graphics controllers. 

I keep hoping to get some recognition of the problem from HP so they might work with Microsoft to find the cause (obviously something chnaged in Windows 10) and come up with a solution. It matters not if the solution is a Windows 10 Update or a fix (update) to the drivers on the OEM side. It would be easier for all the users if Microsoft could/would just fess up and fix the interaction point. The OS handles other interrupts properly and wakes up all the other devices (as far as I can tell). Why not dual/multiple displays/monitors?

If I still worked for HP I would have just called the right people and at least got this into an official queue. Too bad I'm retired and a non-entity with them.

HP Recommended

Hi Ed,

I am sure that "someone" is working on the issue.  Who knows where the finger is pointed at.:smileyfrustrated:

I would try the 8.1 driver. Create a system restore point but if you really want to be safe then create a full hard drive image to external storage.

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Thanks for following up.

I have other responsibilities over the weekend, but I'll try Monday.

Cheers, Ed

HP Recommended

Hi Ed,

Try what I suggested. 

I will try and see if I can duplicate the issue on my other PC which has the Intel 4600.  Both 4400 and 4600 appear to have similar issues.

I'll do a fresh install of W10 Pro and see what happens.  Right now I am running Intel driver .........4256.

HP Recommended

Hi Ed,

Unfortunately I was not able to recreate your issue.  I did a fresh install of Windows 10 using one monitor. I did all of the Windows 10 updates and then checked the Intel graphics driver level and it's the same level as the one that you are using. I powered off and connected up the second monitor and then power back up. Windows 10  instantly recognized both monitors. I didn't have to change a thing.  I took some images to show you where so check on whether Windows is recognizing dual monitors and if your PC is correctly configured. Monitor one (HP 2159) has a digital connection and monitor 2 (HP 2210) is connected VGA.

This first image is what you should see in device manager.

device manager with dual monitors.png

This second image is what you should see in the Control Panel -->Intel  HD Graphics

Intel 4600 dual displays.png

This third image is shows the Windows connected devices.  Two monitors are detected.

Windows 10 connected devices.png

This final image shows the Windows Settings-----> Displays  -----Two monitors are detected and configured for extended display.

Windows 10 settings dual displays.png

So what do you see compared to the images that I have posted?

HP Recommended

Hi,

I am also facing the si,ilar  problem with eltebook 820 G1.

I have tried install verios versions of 4400 drivers by both HP and Intel, and failed

to fix the problem.

l feel that BIOS including graphic adapter BIOS is related to this problem.

My 820 G2 with 5500 and newly published BIOS WORKES FINE.

Best Regards, 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.