Question

Intern
mws_1984
Message 1 of 17 (17,616 Views)

Internet explorer has stopped working

Here is my situation. I had left my desktop computer sitting for like 20 minutes and come back it had gone to sleep. I hit the spacebar on the keyboard to wake it up. Then I find all my explorer pages had closed out or something. I had been using the computer just fine all day now it decides to give me a problem.

I try to reopen the Windows Internet Explorer and get this message in a small box that comes up after it appears to be analyzing a problem

Internet Explorer Has Stopped Working

"A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available"

Well I'm lucky I can come on my wifes laptop and actually type this.  I have tried restarting my computer and every time I try to open the internet explorer I get the same message. Why is this happening? Everything was working fine. I have seen something about a KB issue and it directs to a webpage telling about it. But with no way to even do anything on the explorer how do I fix this? This isn't happening on this laptop so why on the desktop. They both have Windows 7 and the same Internet Explorer

I really like how it tells me it will notify me if a solution is available. How can you if the explorer isn't working properly?

Does anyone have any solutions to this issue? Thanks in advance. Hopefully it is something that will be worked out on its own, but each time I've tried to restart it it won't work properly.

Provost
old_geekster
Message 2 of 17 (17,525 Views)

Re: Internet explorer has stopped working

MWS, are you using IE8 or IE9 RC (Release Candidate)?  If it is IE8, you could try installing IE9 RC to see if it works any better.  This may solve your problem.  I have been using IE9 RC for about 2 weeks without any problems.   

HP Split 13 x2
- 1.6 Ghz; 4 GB memory; SSD 128 GB; Win 8.0

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 17 (17,497 Views)

me too, today, in fact... help!!

Yep

Student
mward98765
Message 4 of 17 (17,489 Views)

Hey dude,

Just had the same issue right around the same time.

I did the following and it worked.

I got this from a previous post.

Have you tried Resetting IE if you not here is the Way

Go to Start -> Control Pannel -> Network and Internet -> Internet Options - > Advanced Tab - > Reset

Then Try to see if it Works. IT will prompt a Wizard -> Go through it and do not turn on Suggested Websites and Use Express Settings in Wizard.

Honor Student
horseshoe67
Message 5 of 17 (17,456 Views)

you kick butt homey! that did the trick,=)

yep!

Top Student
Sandy222
Message 6 of 17 (17,362 Views)

Another way to solve the problem

Click on the START button, then on RUN. In the box type in: "inetcpl.cpl" without the quotes 
Then press ENTER or click OK. This brings up INTERNET PROPERTIES.
Click on the ADVANCED tab.
Move down and click on the RESET button.
In the window which opens, put a check-mark in the box which says
"Delete personal settings" and then click on the RESET button.

Close out all windows and then click on Internet Explorer to open it.
The problem should be solved.

Your Favorities will be saved, but not the settings which you had changed.

Intern
mws_1984
Message 7 of 17 (17,259 Views)

Re: Another way to solve the problem

[ Edited ]

Gonna try to reply to everyone who posted. I have internet explorer 8. I'm surprised I could even get on now. I had to go into the help section and go to online help. So it was a shock IE even loaded so I could get on the HP page off the help section.

I tried getting on this morning and the same issue. It's like out of nowhere it decides to crap out. Come on now.

So I looked at everyones responses and noted them. Took a chance and just shut out the HP help window that let me get online on the faulty computer.

I then just tried to load IE like usual and fine, no problems with that message. But from now on I think I'm making a log with different fixes to problems on the computer so I can access it on a wordpad doc or something in case I can't get online.

How do I go about getting IE 9? Is there a way to update 8 or do I have to do a new download?

Provost
old_geekster
Message 8 of 17 (17,186 Views)

Re: Another way to solve the problem

[ Edited ]

MWS, I provided a link to the download site for IE9 RC in my previous post.  Simply click on the blue highlighted IE9 RC.  It will open for you.

Also, if you are using Norton AV, here is a thread the may help you.

HP Split 13 x2
- 1.6 Ghz; 4 GB memory; SSD 128 GB; Win 8.0

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 9 of 17 (17,173 Views)

Are you using Norton?  If so read this:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-systems-and/Norton-AntiVirus-Definitions-Disabling-IE...

Just use Live Update in Norton to get the new defs

Tutor
patriciabigelow
Message 10 of 17 (16,716 Views)

I hope this helps.

I was having this problem as well. The solution I found that works for me was disabling the proxy in IE. I'm not sure how it was enabled in the first place, but oh well.

Goto (IE -> Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections -> LAN Settings)

And uncheck your proxy. (uncheck Use a proxy server for you LAN)

if you are still have problem with your Intenet Explorer, Download Windows Explorer Repair Tooland install it. play this tool to fix any or all problems with your Internet Explorer. You may receive the Internet Explorer error message due to many reasons. Some of the reasons explained here:

http://www.windowsexplorerhasstoppedworking.com/

Visit the above link and follow the procedure to fix your Internet Explorer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation