Question

Student
turbyoulance
Message 1 of 2 (141 Views)

Library/Pictures Problems Windows 8/64 bit HP Desktop Computer

I have bought a new HP computer Windows 8/64  after my previous HP (windows 7/64 bit died after less than 3 years) When I try to view my pictures I get a series of ORANGE DAISIES on the pictures. Succinctly, say I want to add a picture to Facebook<> when I go to My Pictures the pictures are there, but NOT visible. Like an analogy would be that it would be similar to seeing a pack of playing cards all turned over (face down) and only being able to see the back design of the cards.

Initially I just had the Apple Qucktime logo0 on the back of the pictures so I deleted Apple Quick Time.I

now have ORANGE Daisies and if I open a Folder it has all the photos displayed as <> you guessed it Orange Daisies. I can click on a Orange Daisy and open it and it will display the picture face up,but I cannot get all the pictures to display face up at all. In fact I cannot get ANY pictures to display face up at all.

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 2 of 2 (119 Views)

Re: Library/Pictures Problems Windows 8/64 bit HP Desktop Computer

turbyoulance

You did not say what kind of computer you have and it may or may not make a differnce.

Product Number?

Assuming for the moment that it does not matter:

It SOUNDS like your photos / pictures are suffering from a lack of comfortable "association", that is, a default "open with" context, perhaps paired with a folder setup lacking the ability to discern a picture from a fire truck.

• Open a File Explorer Window (previiously a Windows Explorer window) >
  • Click on the "View" tab > on the right side of the ribbon that now shows across the top of the window, click on Options >
  • Click on "Change folder and seach options" >
  • Ah!  Folder Options!  Yes!
  • Click on Tab View > Make sure that "Display file icon on thumbnails" is CHECKED

Now, depending on how you have things set up, you may want to try this one both ways:

• CHECK / UNCHECK "Always show icons, never show thumbnails"
  • Click OK to set in place

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next:

• Back in File Explorer > View Tab > Along the top, far left - first little section "Navigation Pane" >
  • Click the Preview Pane"

Next:

• Right-Click on one of your .jpg files > Properties >
  • In the second section from the top, you should see "Opens with" blah blah blah  "Change" / Select ... something

• Click "Change" ... Look for / browse for / under "More Options"   >> Select "Windows Photo Viewer"

Why?  Because, the Photo View is fast, simple, easy, uses the least memory, doesn't review the entire screen and take a BUNCH of resource to look at one stinking little picture.  You can always pull open your photo album with a different app.

Disagree?  "Change" the default "open with" app to whatever you like.   :smileyhappy:

=====================================================================================

That may do it if I didn't miss anything in the telling AND you can decipher my gibberish.

Smiling.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

See a Post that is useful, makes you smile, or that teaches you something you did not know?

Your HP Experts are here to help.

Click the Kudos Star to say Thanks for the Help.

When a fix / workaround is successful:

Click this Post "Accept as Solution" to make it easier for others to find the Solution.

Year of the Dragon 2012   Year of the Snake 2013

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation