Question

Top Student
aggiezg05
Message 1 of 21 (4,266 Views)

Losing Internet Connection

I just bought a new HP Pavilion Elite e9180t, and have had it less than a week. It keeps dropping the internet connection. I have no clue why this is happening as I have installed all new updates from Microsoft and HP and my router works perfectly for 2 other notebook computers (both HPs) in the house. I called tech support yesterday and we did a system restore and then uninstalled and reinstalled the network adapter. After a reboot it worked fine, but then I went in there this morning and the internet connection was gone again. Please help! I'm on Vista 64bit Home Premium and running Norton 2009.
Associate Professor
RoyalSerpent
Message 2 of 21 (4,237 Views)

Re: Losing Internet Connection

Connect the external antenna.  How's the signal strength?  It is possible that you have a defective Wi Fi.  Remove Norton and retest.
Top Student
aggiezg05
Message 3 of 21 (4,256 Views)

It's not the router. The lan and wan works on all other computers. I also can use my system restore to go back a few days and the internet works perfectly. It has been happening after sleep mode, so I juse went and disabled the sleep mode in my network adapters so we'll see what happens with that. I suppose it could be a Vista issue instead of a hardware one. Has anyone else had this problem? I hate to have spent $1500 for a new computer that won't even connect to the internet half the time.
Associate Professor
RoyalSerpent
Message 4 of 21 (4,205 Views)

I've read a lot of complaints about that board.  Sounds like you're having some sort of driver corruption coming out of sleep.  I personally don't use hibernation or sleep.  Just shut down the PC when it is not in-use.

I'd return the PC for a full refund.  $1500 is too much for that PC.

Student
HPsucksofar
Message 5 of 21 (4,189 Views)

I'm having the same problem. I'm not that computer savy, but I do know that it has to do with sleep mode. It shuts down my wireless adapter and my internet connection won't come back until I restart the computer. I've contacted chat support 3 times and called in twice. I spent 3 hours and 25 minutes on the phone so far, and I'm tired of calling back.

Also, I'm having problems with the HP PhotoDumb software. It keeps freezing up and then shutting itself down.

This is my first HP and it's been bad!!!

Top Student
cowan
Message 6 of 21 (4,135 Views)

aggiezg05 wrote:
I just bought a new HP Pavilion Elite e9180t, and have had it less than a week. It keeps dropping the internet connection. I have no clue why this is happening as I have installed all new updates from Microsoft and HP and my router works perfectly for 2 other notebook computers (both HPs) in the house. I called tech support yesterday and we did a system restore and then uninstalled and reinstalled the network adapter. After a reboot it worked fine, but then I went in there this morning and the internet connection was gone again. Please help! I'm on Vista 64bit Home Premium and running Norton 2009.

To Aggiezgo5 and the others;

I to have the same thing going on, I am using a Linksys 4 port wired router. I can tell you it's with the Vista computer

[ my is a 64bit h.p.], it's something to do with the power options.  Start with opening control panel,click on power options, once open you will see a list

of 3 choices,and you will need to click on,change plan settings 1 balanced,2 power saver,3 high performance, I think

that it's not #2. From this point on I am at a lost on how the change Vista from not powering down the usb port when computer is turn to sleep mode,

or computer off.

Honor Student
cdunk3537
Message 7 of 21 (4,123 Views)

Go to Control Panel/System and Maintenance/Power Options.

Pick and choose which way you want your computer to stay put. The factory default is to go on a Hibenation mode which powers EVERYTHING down. If your router looses complete connection and it will not power up then I suggest you unistall the Router and reinstall. I have had my e9180t  two days so far no problems but I did see where it goes in to Hibernation mode when not in use. I happen to like it that way so I made no changes.

Hope this helps.

Student
Acer166
Message 8 of 21 (4,075 Views)

I'm having the same problem, the windows site identifies the problem as "The default gateway setting is lost when you wake a Windows Vista-Based computer from sleep"  they give you the hot patch site for the fix one for 32 bit and one for 64 bit, now that you think you may have the fix which I did think, I downloaded the patch and tried to install it but got the message that this patch is not for this version, I'm up to service pack 2 the write up said that service pack one was to fix the problem.  This problem is a real pain because I use the system as a Media Center Computer so it goes to sleep and comes back on to record shows or down load the latest guide.  I have another wireless media center computer on XP and it has no problems, still looking for a fix.
Top Student
cowan
Message 9 of 21 (4,023 Views)

To fellow members;Lost Internet Connection

I have found tool at Microsoft Windows, Internet Connectivity Evaluation Too

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/using/tools/igd/default.mspx

I also found out it's a power setting with a power setting and not with usb

as i stated earlier [sorry].

cowan

Honor Student
td_e9180t
Message 10 of 21 (3,556 Views)

I ordered my e9180t in early August and found that I had poor internet connectivity as well. Tech support told me I was missing the antennae (I didn't have the antennae hook-ups in the back of the PC). I shipped it back to HP and ordered a new one. The new also did not come with antennae, however I figured out that the preconfigured wireless card has an internal antenna. My new PC has good internet connection now. ... Your wireless card may not be very good.

Now I'm experiencing other issues with my new PC. ... I get the "gray" screen of death after watching videos for more than 1/2 hours. I guess MS decided to change the color. I'm thinking of returning this new PC and getting my money. The original PC and the new e9180t both had problems with the "gray" screen of death. I have found this only occurs while watching videos. Does anyone know what the problem is? ... I hate to return this PC and get my money back. ... I simply don't know what to do. I'm very disappointed.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation