Question

Tutor
Mike-01
Message 1 of 8 (283 Views)
Accepted Solution

MS Recovery Drive vs HP Recovery Media in Desktop PC

Hi,

Last year I purchased an HP Pavilion 23-B115EA All-in-one Desktop PC with Windows 8 installed.  Later I upgraded to 8.1 from the store.

Recently I wanted to create a recovery drive just in case, but ended up creating two:

1. From the Start screen I typed 'create a recovery drive' and accessed the menu with the 'copy the recovery partition' box checked.  I used a 32GB USB as a 16GB one was not quite big enough, because although it  only needed about 14.9GB, with formatting it was just over 16GB.  The Recovery Drive was created successfully.
  2. I checked with HP support by email, but they referred me to the HP Recovery Manager.  I accessed this from the HP Support icon and found a menu with Create Recovery Media, but this was about 14.7GB and it fitted on a 16GB USB.

I would appreciate it if anybody could let me know the difference between these two recoveries and whether one is better than the other.

Regards,

Mike-01

Grad Student
surfaceunits
Message 2 of 8 (270 Views)

Re: MS Recovery Drive vs HP Recovery Media in Desktop PC

[ Edited ]

The HP recovery manager creates an exact copy of the computer as it was delivered to you.

MS creates an Windows 8.1 recovery image

After upgrading to Windows 8.1, you should take time to build a new Recovery Drive on USB storage media.  By building a new Recovery Drive, you’ll have an easy way to perform a system Reset / Refresh with the Windows 8.1 operating system bits, if needed to recover from an unbootable system situation down the road.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/keithmayer/archive/2013/11/06/windows-8-1-unable-to-quot-copy-recovery-pa...

Tutor
Mike-01
Message 3 of 8 (256 Views)

Hi,

Thank you for quick reply.  I would like to clarify a few things, and add some more details, as this may help somebody else with a similar query. (I do not know why I am described as a student as I am retired and maintaining a PC is new to me.)

When the PC was new (Windows 8) I created a Recovery Drive (including Recovery Partition) on a 16GB USB and it fitted.  After upgrading to 8.1 I was told I should create a new one but when I tried it did not fit, so I used a 32GB USB which was successful.  I was also told that as PC came with W8 installed, if used the new recovery would still install W8 again and I would have to upgrade to 8.1 afterwards.  From what you said it seems that the HP recovery would do this but the MS one may re-install 8.1 after all.

I was also told to be safe I should create a backup of the Drivers and Applications -  I assume this is what the HP recovery includes, but presumably not the MS one.

I had a problem recently which somebody kindly solved and they suggested I create a System Image on an external hard drive (EHD) as this would restore the system to a much more recent state.  They suggested a 500GB EHD, and to create a second System Image as a backup and to relabel it, so that at intervals I could create new System Images, which would overwrite the previous ones, but still leave the backup just in case.  I have now done this, and created a new Restore Point at the same time.

I therefore now have 3 recoveries - HP Recovery Media on a 16GB USB, MS Recovery Drive (including Recovery Partition) on a 32GB USB and a System Image on a 500GB EHD.

I would appreciate it if you could let me know the answers to the following.

1. The System Image on the EHD should be the best way to recover if needed, but if it was damaged say would I need both the MS and HP recoveries or just the one.
  2. When Windows upgrades to eg 8.2 or more, should I create a new Recovery Drive and do I need the old one or can I overwrite it.

Hopefully I will not need to use any of these, but as you said it is an easy way to do a Reset and I may as well be prepared just in case.

Thank you again.

Regards,

Mike-01

Grad Student
surfaceunits
Message 4 of 8 (238 Views)

[ Edited ]

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-usb-recovery-drive

Actually, what you need to do is create a system image of your drive once you get it setup like you want.

Tutor
Mike-01
Message 5 of 8 (226 Views)

Hi,

Thanks for your reply and advice. 

I was told to create a System Image when the PC was running OK, together with a Restore Point, which is what I have done.

Sorry to mention this again, but it was suggested that in case external drive was damaged I also create a recovery drive.  Hopefully this is just academic, but would you be kind enough to let me have answers to the 2 questions I put before - again this could be useful to somebody else too.

Thanks again,

Mike-01

Grad Student
surfaceunits
Message 6 of 8 (215 Views)

[ Edited ]
Tutor
Mike-01
Message 7 of 8 (199 Views)

Hi,

Thank you for your prompt reply and the links giving details of how to restore the system in different ways - this has finished off the answer to my questions. 

I have marked your first answer as the solution although I would have given this one too, but it seems I can only mark one as the solution.  Hopefully anybody else reading this will look at the whole thread.

Thank you again for all your help.

Mike-01

Grad Student
surfaceunits
Message 8 of 8 (194 Views)

You are wecome. It gets more confusing with every new Windows release.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation