Memory Problem on p7-1451 Product # H3Z32AA#ABA Pavilion A10 26 GB Memory (16 GB new) (556 Views)
Intern
sherip99
Message 11 of 18 (442 Views)

Re: Memory Problem on p7-1451 Product # H3Z32AA#ABA Pavilion A10 26 GB Memory (16 GB new)

I guess I phrased that badly, the recommendation is to use the same brand and type of memory in all slots. My system came with (3) 4GB DIMM Hynix Semiconduc 1600MHz (not "genuine HP" Ram).

Intern
sherip99
Message 12 of 18 (437 Views)

Re: Memory Problem on p7-1451 Product # H3Z32AA#ABA Pavilion A10 26 GB Memory (16 GB new)

> Then I noticed a posting that there were new bios update.

Interesting, that BIOS update has not been referenced for my P7-1298c even though it appears to be applicable. When I display System Information in the HP Support Assistant, for system board it shows 2AE0 1.0 and the BIOS update available for the p7-1451 says it is for "supported desktop models (with a 2AE0# ROM Family)"

Top Student
Jack_Sprat
Message 13 of 18 (428 Views)

:smileyvery-happy: HP may stress the importance of matching memory but they DO NOT abide by their own recomendations. Click the link below to see there matched memory sticks. Sorry, but I was wrong on how they number their memory slots. The two memory sticks in yellow are the 2 original ones that came with the computer.

Oh yes, I have done several hours of research on the memory problem and will publish what I think to be the answer as soon as I can get the time. It is quite interesting. Well, at least I think so.

http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y468/ur122/Photobucket%20Desktop%20-%20OFFICEPC/HPmatchedmemoryi...

Top Student
Jack_Sprat
Message 14 of 18 (428 Views)

After several hours of research and looking at a similiar motherboard schematic, and some diagnosis or fiddleing around I think I have the answer. I will post it as soon as I can. It is quite interesting but rather lengthy.

Top Student
Jack_Sprat
Message 15 of 18 (426 Views)

Check out my latest post. Matched ???? well at least they are the same speed :smileyvery-happy:

Teacher
mdklassen
Message 16 of 18 (415 Views)

I wonder about about "dual-channel" mode.
Certainly, the 8GB in #1 is matched by the 8GB in #3,
so that 16GB will operate in "dual-channel" mode.
But, what about the 2GB in #2 versus the 8GB in #4?
Will *NONE* of that 10GB run in "dual-channel" mode,
or, will only the first 4GB (2GB per stick) run in "dual-channel" mode, leaving 6GB "extra" RAM that either is "disabled" (or runs in "single-channel" mode) ?

I would remove the 2GB stick, and replace it by a 4th 8GB stick, to ensure that all 32GB will run in "dual-channel" mode.
Or, if you're on a budget, buy another 2GB stick, and replace the original 8GB stick, to get 20GB of RAM operating in "dual-channel" mode.
Top Student
Jack_Sprat
Message 17 of 18 (400 Views)

Update: Contacted HP finally and they simply did not have an answer. They stated they thought that even though the memory appeared to be a perfect match that there was a difference they could not put an answer to. Of course they said, had I purchased thier memory it would have worked. :smileyvery-happy:

Update: Called HP again and ask to be elevated to a real tech. All of course were busy at that moment. After 10 minutes  of talking way over thier head, they said a tech would call me back. :smileyvery-happy:

Update: Top tech did call and we went thru several precedures with no success. He said that he agreed with me that the fault was possibly with windows 8 software. He agreed that this problem was all over the internet and said to call the folks I purchased the memory from and see what they had to say. So I e-mailed thier tech support and here is thier answer

Pasted from thier reply: "Hello, This is a problem with the Windows memory manager. Please update the Windows memory manager to recognize all the mdoules as seen by BIOS. If BIOS can see the memory - then the problem is with software (Windows). 
Thank You
Customer Service"

Update: Today I called the Memory Manufacture and talked to thier design tech. He stated that there was possibly a difference in the design that did not let the system boot from the memory. However he went into great detail about what they have found out about this problem. He said it was a combination of poor memory management by windows 8 and motherboard design. He agreed with me that windows 8 was a rush job and that they were having numerious issues with memory management. He said laptops were especially vonerable to poor memory management. He suggested returning the memory for credit. and calling HP tech to get the memory they suggest. That makes them responsible for future problems. He again stated that "If the bios can see the memory and it is showing it properly as dual channel and such, that the problem occures after the system boots and Windows 8 begins to manage memory. Until Microsoft works out this problem, users will have this issue with many computers. Apparently other things like bios, mother board design, and memory design can still be an issue as well." 

I have thought from day one of installing Windows 8 upgrade on my former system that had worked great with Windows 7, that there were issues with Windows 8 in many areas. My former system had 7 HDD in it. Drive 1 ran windows 7, drive 2 ran windows vista, drive 3 ran windows xp, drive 4 ran Ubuntu. The only one that ran without any sort of problem was the Ubuntu system. Wonder if placing Ubuntu on this thing would void my warranty Hummmmmm got to give that some serious thought.

Will keep all of you updated as this thing progresses. Currently sending back memory and order 2 8GB sticks from HP (wish me luck)

Thanks

Top Student
Jack_Sprat
Message 18 of 18 (370 Views)

:smileysurprised: Well, the problem and the cause have been discovered. I have 22 plus years as a service/build computer tech and with all that experience, I don't make mistakes anymore. Well, not as many as I use to anyway. Here is how this went down. I spent the better part of 4 hours checking the specs for the memory to go into my new computer. I was very carefull to make sure that all aspecs of the memory was a perfect match. The memory I choose to purchase was not the cheapest but was what I considered to be a great purchase. And when I installed it, it showed up in the bios as correct. Also it was functioning as dual channel ect. ect ect. It also showed in the resource monitor as working as it should. But it had been placed in hardware reserve for some reason. All 16 GB was devoted to hardware ????? However, when the system was placed under load, the 16 GB of new memory simply dissapeared from the system. When placed under load, there was a system lockout of the memory I have been told. Even though it was a perfect match and showed in the bios and the resource monitor, it was not an exact match to the installed memory. No one can explain what was different, but I now know that it was not the right memory. I spoke with the people I purchased it from and they agreed that it was the same and should work, but now agree that there was a difference that they cannot pinpoint. So I shipped the memory back to the UK (purchased on EBay) for credit. For years I have purchased memory from Crucial.com in Idaho (State of) and so I sent them an E-mail requesting info about new memory for the p7-1451. The next day they sent me links to what I needed and directed me to a small program that would run on my computer and direct me to a perfect memory match for my system. They guarantee it 100% on any memory thier software or tech dept. match. This is what I should have done in the first place and saved a lot of work. Yesterday the memory arrived. I purchased a matched pair of 8 GB sticks and a single 8 GB stick to go with the 8 GB one that came with the system. I removed the 2 GB factory stick completely. I placed the matched pair where the original 8 & 2 GB sticks were. I placed the original 8 GB stick in the open slot and matched it up with the 8 GB stick I purchased. This gave me a total of 32 GB's of memory for the system. I pluged it in and turned it on and WALA 32 GB showed in the bios running in dual channel mode. I allowed the system to boot and went at once to the resource monitor and there was all 32 GB of memory and arranged as it should have been all along. Apparently all memory is not equal even though all the specs show it as being the same. Crucial has been the best memory on the market for years. Yes, it was more expensive but it was a perfect match (guaranteed) by Crucial. Total cost for the memory with shipping was $140.00. The memory I purchased originally was $83.00 PLUS shipping. The old saying, "you get what you pay for" sure rings true here. Under full load, (recoding a video, doing a total image of HDD, watching Netflix in HD)  hardly slows the system down at all. I now am a solid fan of HP p7-1451 , they rock gentlemen. This is a screamer with the 4 GB Video card in place to boot, The memory is all there for use. See the link below for the layout of the memory under load-------its amazing.

http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y468/ur122/Photobucket%20Desktop%20-%20OFFICEPC/PHOTOBUCKET%20PH...

Problem Solved

Special thanks to everyone that offered suggestions

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation