Question

Honor Student
detert
Message 1 of 2 (132 Views)

Migrate Sys C:\ to new SSD boot drive on Windows 8.1 update HP desktop computer

I want to migrate my Sys (C:\) partition to a newly added SSD and make it my boot drive.   I can do this.  My problem is that there are 4 small windows 8 or HP  propriatary unlettered partitions on the original disk 0.   These are labeled:  1.  "Windows RE Tools.  2.  EF System partition.  3.  Microsoft Reserve Partition.  4.  Windows Recovery Environment. 

My question:  Can these partitions remain on the original HP supplied hard drive which will then become non-booting Disk 1 or must these 4 partitions be copied to the new SSD boot Disk 0?   

HP Support Agent
Dunidar
Message 2 of 2 (100 Views)

Re: Migrate Sys C:\ to new SSD boot drive on Windows 8.1 update HP desktop computer

Hello detert,

I understand you are installing an SSD and are inquiring about the hidden partitions. They need to be on the main partition and so should be brought over. I am providing you with an HP Support document: Removing the HP Recovery Partition, which explains what the partitions are for. As well the document states the following "If you back up your data, and you create a set of Recovery disks before deleting the partition, you can restore the PC later".

So ensure that you have your recovery discs by following the HP Support document: Obtaining HP Recovery Discs or an HP USB Recovery Drive, so that no matter the outcome you can restore your computer back to factory and recover the partitions if things go wrong.

I hope I have answered your question to your satisfaction. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation