Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp Compaq 8000 Elite SFF
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I have just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 which is working fine except that I need to update the PCI Serial Port driver. When I click onto Device Manager under Other Devices it shows I am missing the PCI Serial Port driver as seen below.

"The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)"

Any help would be appreciated,

Regards,

RNPete

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hello RNPete,

In device manager, right click on the missing device and select properties from the drop down box. In the window that is populated select the 'Details' tab at the top. Under Property Select 'Hardware Ids', and post the IDs that populate in the Value window here.

This is will give me more access to exactly which driver is missing.

Phil,

I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi 

Go back into Device manager and under the other Devices right click your PCI serial Port and click Update driver and see if Windows can install the device for you ...

Checkurtech

****Click the White Kudos star to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
HP Recommended

Hi Phil_N,

Below is the information under Property Select 'Hardware Ids'.

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2E17&SUBSYS_3646103C&REV_03
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2E17&SUBSYS_3646103C
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2E17&CC_070002
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2E17&CC_0700

Thanks

RNPete

HP Recommended

Thanks Checkurtech for your reply. :Wink:

I tried the process you mentioned with no sucsess a few days back.

Thanks,

RNPete

HP Recommended
Hi
If you copy and paste the above hardware ID into google and goto Driver Identifier you will see the latest driver for 8.1 PCI download and install and you should be up and Running . I would send the link but I'm posting from a phone .
Let me know how you get on

Checkurtech
****Click the White Kudos star to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
HP Recommended

Hello RNPete,

Thank you for posting the Hardware IDs for the driver. Try downloading the driver from this link and let me know if it helps!

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=vc_134657_1&swEnvOid=4131

Don't forget to accept it as a solution if it fixes your issue!

Thanks,

Phil

I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi Phil,

Sorry for he delay in responding to your last reply. I did try the link you provided but with no sucess my end. I was coming up with a massage saying this software driver is not suited to your pc. When I looked at the link you provided it didn't include my model (hp Compaq 8000 Elite SFF). I think if there is a similar software driver update it is probably worth another try though.

Regards,

RNPete.

HP Recommended

Hello RNPete,

Try this driver. Keep in mind this does not have windows 8 as one of the supported OS, But HP does not have an AMT driver for windows 8 on this unit. If this driver doesn't work. We may have to download it directly from Intel. Ill search for that driver as well and try to post it.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=4066929&swItemId=vc_75036_2&swEnvOid=4059

regards,

Phil

I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Wanted to say thank you, phil, for your last post here on this thread. I've been searching for days ... quite litterally for that fix. Happened to run on to this one. I'm using a hp compaq 8000 elite sff that was shipped to me with the same missing PCI driver issue (mobo 3646h) and have been fighting this issue for days. Your link

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=4066929&swItemId=vc_75036_2&swEnvOid=4059

fixed the issue and now I have no "!" drivers in device manager. Thanks!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.