Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi BarbEl,

I'm sorry to hear that the CD installation did not resolve the issue. I would like to assist you with this, and come to a resolution. I would just need to know the full model number of your computer. I have included the 'Guide to finding your product number'.

Thank you.

I worked on behalf of HP
HP Recommended
Thanks Lisa but I have decided to update my laptop instead, hopefully with one that will have a better quality screen so an external monitor will no longer be required.
Your offer is very much appreciated.
HP Recommended

My problem is rather silly - my monitor is brand new, has been working well for the past 2 days and I went to switch it to HDMI. Instead of HDMI, I accidentally switched it to VGA. I don't have a VGA cable so it is stuck at "No signal" then shuts itself off into power saving mode before I can even access the monitor menu again. I am going to attempt a 15 second hard reset on my tower. Hopefully it works. 

HP Recommended

Hi Omgjustin,

I understand you accidentally indicated you wanted to use VGA instead of HDMI. The best thing to do if you cannot fix it on the Monitor menu. Use f11 on start-up and do a system restore. It should be Ok to restore it back to when it was working correctly.

Here is a document on how to do that.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01835735

Hope it helps.

Thanks

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

For those having problems with trying to get your monitor back up long enough for you to start making adjustments on the computer.

I have read many threads on many forums and see everybody helping with instructions on how to change your settings. For those of us that just has one monitor on the computer we are trying to work on it didn't really help.

I am able to get the monitor to turn back on temporarily (most of the time for a week at a time)

Here is what helps me.

Be prepared to spare about an hour of your time. Maybe turn on the tv at the same time as getting these things done.
Power down the computer tower by holding down the power button.

Unplug the monitor from the computer for 5 minutes.

Plug it back in and turn on the computer.

Sometimes this takes you to boot all the way up so wait 5-10 minutes before doing anything.

If this does not work after you have waited 10 minutes then manually power down again.

Repeat 2 times. This should be juicing the monitor is what i like to call it.

It is very frustrating I know but hang in there it gets better.

If after your 4th time you can not do this then power down one last time.

After it is powered down unplug the monitors POWER from the monitors side. (NOT the wall or surge side)

Wait only 5 minutes not much longer (make sure all other cords are plugged in)

Quickly plug in the power to the monitor and within half a second turn on the power of the computer

This always works for me.

It has finally been so much a pain for me that I am reading on and going to come up with the final solution to the problem.

Rather than try this every other week.

The history of this computer is that we have 2 exactly the same bought from costco.

One was bought four years ago and the other was bought 3 years ago.

I just recently changed companies and brought these over. Cleaned them up and did all the updates. Shortly after that I kept getting these problems. Here are things that I kept reading.

-Adjust brightness

-The updates change the sleep timer back to 4 hours

Today I adjusted the brightness and changed the sleep timer to never.

I will see if these work. I will update later.

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem with my HP 2511x as many others (as I have now researched).  The monitor does not detect a signal to the pc.  I have switch the DVI cables suspecting there was an issue with the cable, but had the same results.  I then switched the DVI cables and replaced with HDMI cables and again ran into the same issue.  I then bluggeda different monitor with DVI connection to my PC and immeidately had an image.  Therefore the issues exists with the monitor and not the PC or the graphics card within the PC.  I purchased this monitor about 10 months ago and certainly did not expect to get a LEMON from HP.  

What I do not undertand for the life of me is why HP has not issued a recall for this model as there are a MULTITUDE of troublsehooting requests out there which all reflect the SAME problem.  I suspect HP is quite aware of an issue with this model and I truly hope that they will either repair or replace at no additional charge to me.  

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem with my HP 2511x as many others (as I have now researched).  The monitor does not detect a signal to the pc.  I have switch the DVI cables suspecting there was an issue with the cable, but had the same results.  I then switched the DVI cables and replaced with HDMI cables and again ran into the same issue.  I then bluggeda different monitor with DVI connection to my PC and immeidately had an image.  Therefore the issues exists with the monitor and not the PC or the graphics card within the PC.  I purchased this monitor about 10 months ago and certainly did not expect to get a LEMON from HP.  

What I do not undertand for the life of me is why HP has not issued a recall for this model as there are a MULTITUDE of troublsehooting requests out there which all reflect the SAME problem.  I suspect HP is quite aware of an issue with this model and I truly hope that they will either repair or replace at no additional charge to me.  

HP Recommended

Have subject 2270 Monitor. After 3 years suddenly black screen and sleep, and check video cable message if monitor was manually awakened. Tried unplug reset of monitor . . . no solution. Unplugged power to turned "on" (at CPU plug end) CPU for about 10 minutes. Monitor power was left "on".Plugged  power back into CPU, activated On/Off switch to "ON" (old USAF trouble shooting wording), and everything spooled up, and is back to Normal. It took about 2 minutes for everthing to get to normal "start up" screen (HP Vista crap), then another minute+ for E-mail, and another for the Nets. But so far all is well after the CPU Power RESET technique.

Have not had an unusual Updates from HP or anything like some have mentioned. Don't know why or how it happened.

HP Recommended

Same problem here. I had this problem  a couple of months ago. Then it vanished for some reason and yesterday it came back, just after i updated Windows 7 with WIndows Update.

The previous time I could bypass this problem by connecting from my laptop to my Z230 HP desktop with RDP/MSTSC. The monitors (2) would then receive the signal again. But now even this trick does not work anymore. Both monitors are permanently sleeping and i  can only work on my HP desktop from my laptop with remote desktop. 

After a reboot the monitors well get a signal again, i'm sure. But I do not want to reboot my PC every time I want to use it. It is always on.

HP, please fix this or post a good solution.

HP Recommended

we have 3 desktops that we know work, we just moved and are trying to hook them up and 2 of the 3 are saying no input signal and then immediately say monitor going to sleep. we bought new vga cables last night nfor them and are still getting the same thing.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.