Re: My HP Pavilion Elite m9600t CTO get a BLACK SCREEN after Windows 7 update (2074 Views)
Honor Student
jablake
Message 1 of 5 (2,105 Views)

My HP Pavilion Elite m9600t CTO get a BLACK SCREEN after Windows 7 update

After I updated my HP Pavilion Elite m9600t CTO from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 HP, I get a BLACK SCREEN after about a

1/2 hour. After re-booting, I get the BLACK SCREEN more often.

I saw that Microsoft has identified this as an issue.

see http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/12/01/cnet.microsoft.black.screen/index.html

Do you have any info on fixing this issue? Where can I find any info on this later if a fix is found at a later time?

THX...

Professor
Mister_Do
Message 2 of 5 (2,101 Views)

Re: My HP Pavilion Elite m9600t CTO get a BLACK SCREEN after Windows 7 update

Hi jablake,

I'm not sure the issue you linked to is the same as what you are experiencing. The one mentioned in that link is tied to security updates from Microsoft. It sounds like you are having problems even getting Win 7 installed.

Are you trying to upgrade using the upgrade kit/discs from HP or are you using a retail copy of Win 7?

When you are running the upgrade, do you have any firewalls or Antivirus software shut off?

...an HP employee just trying to help where I can, but not speaking on behalf of HP.
Honor Student
jablake
Message 3 of 5 (2,100 Views)

THanks,

I was able to install Windows 7 OK then this issue started.

It sounds like it might have started with a Windows Update fix.

Grad Student
Bynar
Message 4 of 5 (2,098 Views)

jablake,

It may seem counter-intuitive, since it appears to have been an update that caused the issue, but I'd say keep checking for windows updates.  Once Microsoft has indentified a fix for this issue, that would be the most likely place that they'd put it.

In the mean time, if you can identify the update that caused the issue, then you can uninstall it and prevent windows updates from re-applying it.

To do this, go to Control Panel -> Uninstall a Program.  On the left, select "View Installed Updates".  Under "Microsoft Windows" look at the "Installed On' date, and one at a time uninstall the updates from November and test if the black screen issue reoccurs.  Before removing a given update, be sure to write down the KB number listed, so you can identify the update later on.

Once you've identified the update in question, go into windows updates, check for updates, and right click on the one that caused the issue and select "Hide Update"  This will prevent it from being redownlaoded and reapplied.

Does this make sense?

Although I am an HP Employee, the advice given here is my own, and not necessarily that of HP's.

Please post rather than send me a Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly.
PhD Student
PC_Tester
Message 5 of 5 (2,074 Views)

What graphics card did you purchase with the PC? Are you using that or a 3rd party graphics card elsewhere?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation