My PC is suddenly asking for Windows Vista product activation. (2457 Views)
Top Student
kiwispud
Message 1 of 9 (2,457 Views)

My PC is suddenly asking for Windows Vista product activation.

Hi,

I have a Compaq Presario SR5160AN that I brought about 1.5 years ago via Grays Online. It came with Windows Vista Ultimate pre-installed and 1 year factory warranty and it has been working fine since I have had it, however today it has suddenly come up with the message 

"The Windows Vista Ultimate product key you typed is invalid for activation"

When I run the Microsoft validation software I am getting the message

Validation Incomplete

The validation service is unable to determine whether this copy of Windows Vista is genuine. 

I have made no recent changes to any hardware or software and would like to know why this is happening and how it can be resolved. I am not willing to restart my PC at present because of this error.

Top Student
kiwispud
Message 2 of 9 (2,445 Views)

Re: My PC is suddenly asking for Windows Vista product activation.

UPDATE,

According to the MGAdiag tool, my copy of Vista is valid

WGA Data-->
Validation Status: Genuine
Validation Code: 0
Cached Validation Code: N/A, hr = 0xc004f012
Windows Product Key: *****-*****-VFWRT-JGH7R-R933G
Windows Product Key Hash: gYrJFhcKVmHMbiVVuoEU7w/jsC0=
Windows Product ID: 89580-OEM-7332132-00015
Windows Product ID Type: 2
Windows License Type: OEM SLP
Windows OS version: 6.0.6001.2.00010100.1.0.001
ID: {B13D332A-1F99-4E4C-BE98-131CF1CB1C44}(1)
Is Admin: Yes
TestCab: 0x0
WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.9.1
Signed By: Microsoft
Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate
Architecture: 0x00000000
Build lab: 6001.vistasp1_gdr.090805-0102
TTS Error: 
Validation Diagnostic: 
Resolution Status: N/A
Distinguished Professor
TheOldMan
Message 3 of 9 (2,431 Views)

From the info you posted from the tool, it looks like it should be good.  The license info seems to be good, also.

For your peace of mind, when the screen showing "Computer" shows, does that screen say it is activated?  I am running Windows 7 but I assume the screen is the same for Vista.  Click on the "Start" button, or whatever Vista calls it (lower left corner) put the mouse pointer on the "Computer" in the popup selection area to the right, and right click.  The screen that comes up should indicate if it is activated or not.  It will be under the computer name and license info etc., so you might have to scroll down to see all of the info.

If that is good, then do not worry about it.  If that is not good ,then come back for further help.

{---------- Please click the "White Kudos" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Top Student
kiwispud
Message 4 of 9 (2,424 Views)

Hi, The information seen when I do a "properties" on "computer" says that Windows must be activated today and I should activate windows NOW

Distinguished Professor
TheOldMan
Message 5 of 9 (2,404 Views)

I would suggest that you take a look at this page and do some investigating with the commands.

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2062/vista_activation_slmgr_command_options_explained/

If the solution cannot be obtained with a variety of those commands, then I can only say that a reinstall may be in order.  I would definitely try the "slmgr -dli" then "slmgr -xpr".  If that tells you the same thing, then try replacing the key with the one on the case ( the command is there in that link ) and check again.  Also try the "rearm" if all that fails.  I cannot see why it would fail as you have the key installed already.

BTW:  Assuming this is a real HP computer with real HP hardware, this should solve the problem.

Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

Top Student
kiwispud
Message 6 of 9 (2,397 Views)

Hi, well I can give that a try using the key identified in the software. Reinstall would be harder is the o/s was pre-installed and I never received a copy of the installation media and yes, it is a genuine HP comp

Top Student
kiwispud
Message 7 of 9 (2,392 Views)

OK, have reactivated using the key printed on the sticker on the side of the pc and gotten a successful installation message, going to check a few things and then try a reboot and see if it works, if I don't return then the pc lied to me.

Top Student
kiwispud
Message 8 of 9 (2,390 Views)

Woohoo, after going through the automated phone activation process again, my o/s has been activated again and appears to be ok, thanks for you help all.

Distinguished Professor
TheOldMan
Message 9 of 9 (2,388 Views)

[ Edited ]

Glad you got it sorted out.  As far as the installation media, you might want to look here to see if that applies.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3462945&lang=en&docname=c0081...

BTW: Kudos are appreciated if the help was good.  Thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation