My Windows Installer doesn't work (1019 Views)
Honor Student
7jack11
Message 1 of 5 (1,019 Views)

My Windows Installer doesn't work

The last Microsoft update somehow screwed up my computer. Now I can't install any software. I get the message, "The Window Installer Service could not be accessed".  How can I repair or re-install the Windows Installer?

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 2 of 5 (1,013 Views)

Re: My Windows Installer doesn't work

I do not see any mention of what OS or model of HP computer, so the help will be general.  The easiest would be to go back to the date before the suspected problem occurred.  Depending on OS, it may be somewhat different but click on the "Start" button  (lower left corner) in WinXP, I believe it is a globe with the Windows flag in Win7.  Then pick "Help and Support" from the menu, then "System Restore".  Depending on OS, that may have to be typed in the search box.  Pick a date to restore to before the date this started.

{---------- Please click the "White Kudos" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Honor Student
7jack11
Message 3 of 5 (1,007 Views)

Thanks.  That might work, I'll try it tomorrow. it's after 6:30am and I better get to bed.  I just reformatted the harddrive a couple of days ago so I don't know if I will be able to get a restore point yet.  It's an HP dX7500 and when I had to reformat it restored me to 6/9/09 so I lost a  lot of data on things that weren't properly backed up.  I know how to set the restore points that you are talking about but how do you set the HP recover point?

Honor Student
7jack11
Message 4 of 5 (986 Views)

Well that didn't work.  There were restore points on the 13th, 14th and today.  I tried the 13th 1st.  It took more than an hour and then told me that it was unable to restore to that date.  I then tried the 14th and that didn't work either.

Here is the rest of the message that I receive when I try to install from a CD.  "This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed.  Contact your support personnel for assistance".

I guess you people are my support personnel.  So, how do I repair or install the Windows Installer?  I am using XP Pro.

Master's Graduate
KiranTalluri
Message 5 of 5 (932 Views)

Hi,

Please try the following steps to fix the issue with Windows Installer...

Method 1A:

Click Start->Run->type SERVICES.MSC and click Ok, go to Windows Installer entry, right click on it, click Start. Try installing the Software. If it does not work.. go to 1B

1B:

Reregister the Windows Installer

Please perform these steps.

1. Click Start, Run and enter the following into the Open field: msiexec /unreg. Then click Ok.
2. Click Start, Run and enter the following into the Open field: msiexec /regserver. Then click Ok.

There is a space between msiexec and / in the command.

Then restart the computer. This should resolve the issue.

Method 2: Reinstall the Windows Installer

Windows Installer 4.5
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942288

Thank You.
Kiran Talluri

Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left.
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation