Question

Top Student
esaltlake
Message 1 of 8 (351 Views)

My new HP & windows 8 - Its going back, Returning it tomorrow, Big disappointment

[ Edited ]

Im Done! HP needs to offer all new PC purchasers the option to switch out windows 8 for 7, at no cost. 

What a load of junk windows 8 is, Ive lost so much work time with this new system. Big disappointment

Ive spent weeks now since Christmas trying to learn how to preform very basic tasks on my new HP that came with windows 8 installed.  I have a few more days to decide if Im keeping or returning it. I cant decide if the trouble is my new HP P7-1490 is junk or is windows 8 really this frustrating & difficult to use.  I've waisted so much time trying to read guides, tips, tricks & suggestions, anything that might make sense of this OS.  If my HP is working correctly, then the problem is the installed OS 8.  I was thinking of uninstalling 8 & installing 7 instead, but after reading what others said, this is not an easy thing to do on factory installed windows 8. I'm not using the HP keyboard that came with it since I have a Belkin keyboard I love.  Where Im at is, when I start pc I sign into "Compaq user" so I can at least see something familiar, but it is still a clustermess of stuff that I have no idea what to do with. Even getting into my pics to view is difficult.  When I finally do get into my pictures, How do I do a simple fix like crop or rotate? these things were easily done with right click of my mouse before, now this very simple task is no where. thats my first question, how do i preform these simple tasks in my pics?  When I download pictures from my camera there is no place that says to delete images from camera when downloaded.  where is this simple task located now when downloading pics from camera?  How can I do a screensaver slideshow for when my computer is not in use?  Goggle earth flight simulator continues to black out, its is not displaying things correctly. Ive uninstalled & reinstalled, but since goggle earth has always worked perfectly on my old PC with XP, Its probably not goggle earth, but something with windows 8 that needs to be done to work right.  thank you from a very frustrated HP / Windows 8 user.

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 8 (346 Views)

Re: my new HP & windows 8 - The nightmare continues

Hi,

You are not alone. For NEW users, first time users, Windows 8 is great with touchscreen. For many users like you and me, Windows 8 (and even Office 2007 2010) is a nightmare. But sooner or later we have to live with it. Please download the following small program and install on your machine, this program will give you touch and feel like using Windows 7:

http://www.classicshell.net/

Microsoft SHOULD give users a way to have old style desktop given millions and millions of machines out there do not have touch screens.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Tutor
trailrunnervt
Message 3 of 8 (314 Views)

I'm with you. My new Pavillion with Windows 8 is an awful expereince.  Trying to do basic tasks that I used to be able to with one click of the mouse now takes multiple menus and several iterations. Win 8 has hanged up repeatedly.  I've had to actually pull the physical plug on the machine in order to get it to reboot.  Even the physical on/off switch did nothing.

For a business user, rather than an entertainment focused individual, Win 8 is not a useful OS.  Oh, sure, we can find workarounds if need be, but spending so much time in training and searching for solutions is not productive.  I own three HP computers...a Win 8, a Win 7, and an XP. Unless HP and Microsoft comes up with a new OS closer to the Win 7/XP expereince, my next computer will be a Mac.  I've already gone back to my slower Win 7 machine because the Win 8 machine is both buggy and too unruly to get the job done.

Why is HP sticking with this awful situation?  They're about to lose my $$$ for good.

Teacher
sherip99
Message 4 of 8 (303 Views)

Just to offer another perspective, I'm thrilled with my few-month-old HP desktop running Windows 8 Pro.  I have no problem clicking the Desktop tile after logging on. I don't use any of the start button replacements (although I do have HP's Quick Start Installed) and I don't display icons on my destop either. instead I pinned most frequently used apps pinned to taskbar and I added a couple of toolbars to the taskbar, one for C:\Users\myusername\Desktop and one for C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu. I also put a shortcut on the taskbar to shutdown windows:

C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 0

Top Student
esaltlake
Message 5 of 8 (291 Views)

I don't use any of the start button replacements (although I do have HP's Quick Start Installed) and I don't display icons on my destop either. instead I pinned most frequently used apps pinned to taskbar and I added a couple of toolbars to the taskbar, one for C:\Users\myusername\Desktop and one for C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu. I also put a shortcut on the taskbar to shutdown windows:

huh???

Teacher
sherip99
Message 6 of 8 (281 Views)

Never set up taskbar toolbars? They've been Windows at least since XP (maybe longer). Right click the taskbar and choose Toolbar, New Toolbar and browse to the two folders I mentioned. I find them quick and convenient for launching programs and I rarely visit the new Start screen. To hide the icons on the desktop by right-click on the desktop, select View, and uncheck "Show desktop icons".

Student
N8021C
Message 7 of 8 (215 Views)

Re: My new HP & windows 8 - Its going back, Returning it tomorrow, Big disappointment

Yep I hate windows 8 too it is a load of Crap wish I had XP back it always worked. I don't really know what to do it does not run a lot of my old standbys I have to pull out the old vista laptop just to run some everyday programs HP should never have let Microsoft sell people on this for a business application. I mean even microsofts old office programs dont work with it.  I am in business and upgrading and learning the new programs just cost time and that = MONEY! I have lost a lot of it. I don't know what to do, Maybe Apple next time. I don't think the hardware is bad but the OS leaves a lot to be desired hope HP fixes it.

All the best to the business that invested in these new HPs you will have lots of lost proffits over an upgrade.

Grad Student
FattysGoneWild
Message 8 of 8 (201 Views)

Re: My new HP & windows 8 - Its going back, Returning it tomorrow, Big disappointment

XP is like living in the cave man days. 7 is still king of the hill and kicks the crap out of XP in EVERY way. OP. Sounds like you are in the know about 7 vs 8. Red flag was not being able to order with 7. You should have went custom build yourself. HP is not going to provide drivers for 8 machines.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation