Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Greeting: I just bought a new computer and was dismayed to find that HP doesn't provide drivers for my Scanjet 5400c. I read another post referring a member of this forum to the VueScan website for 3rd party drivers, but I don't see my specific scanner model there. I do see 5300c and 5370c listed.  Does anyone know if the driver for either of these would work for the 5400c?

And, does anyone have any other ideas to fix this problem? This seems like a major customer service issue that HP should be dealing with. I really love my scanner and hate to have to shell out serious $ on top of the $ I spent on the computer itself.

Thanks for any and all replies.

Paul Miller

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Windows 7 was not able to find driver for this scanner. 

I downloaded following driver from HP website (which is for XP and windows 2000)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=sj-21893-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&...

After installing this driver I re-connected my scanner to computer. This time windows 7 found driver and installed.

I installed it and then started HP Scan Pro 3.1 using "Run as Administrator". Normal run was giving me error but this way It worked for me flawlessly.  I am using 32 bit Windows 7.

Hope it wroks for you as well.

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
HP Recommended

Windows 7 was not able to find driver for this scanner. 

I downloaded following driver from HP website (which is for XP and windows 2000)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=sj-21893-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&...

After installing this driver I re-connected my scanner to computer. This time windows 7 found driver and installed.

I installed it and then started HP Scan Pro 3.1 using "Run as Administrator". Normal run was giving me error but this way It worked for me flawlessly.  I am using 32 bit Windows 7.

Hope it wroks for you as well.

HP Recommended

Hi! I am using 64 bit Windows 7. Driver don't setup 😞

HP Recommended

I appreciate your response, phoolendra, and apologize for not getting back to this issue (and to you) sooner. The holidays...  Anyway, perhaps it's because I have the 64-bit version of Windows 7, but your solution didn't work for me. I could download the driver as you did, my computer recognizes the scanner, but I was not able to find a driver for it as was the case for you.

Fortunately, in the short term I can use my scanner with my laptop, which has XP home edition on it, but what a pain in the butt! I hope that HP gets their act together soon.

Meanwhile if it appears from my reply that I may have misunderstood your solution, please let me know. Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the information,  I have been trying to use my scanner since I got Windows 7 put on my computer last week.  When I right clicked and ran it as an administrator the scanner works like a charm.

HP Recommended

Did you try to load drivers?  I can't get my computer to recognize the scanner.  Please clarify what program you right-clicked onto in order to be able to use your scanner. Thanks very much.

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem...x64 Windows 7 and no drivers. I have spent time scouring the web, including vue64, and nothing works for this combination.

Guess it's time to buy a new scanner but it won't be HP.

HP Recommended

Chemteacher45, can I ask if you have the 32 bit or 64 bit version of Windows 7? Thanks.

HP Recommended

Thanks. It worked for me too. On a HP 3010 SPP Win 7 32. Ovidiu

HP Recommended

Thanks for the information!  It worked for me, made my customers date!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.