Need ethernet drivers for my new HP Pavilion HPE (8288 Views)
Top Student
cgill22
Message 1 of 17 (8,288 Views)
Accepted Solution

Need ethernet drivers for my new HP Pavilion HPE

[ Edited ]

Hello, I just purchased a new (3 days old) HP Pavilion HPE desktop.  After I recieved it the first time I turned it on it only connected via the wireless network card.  I next did a clean install of windows 7 ultimate (because I had it and its better than home premium).  Well I can connect via the wireless card but would like to connect with ethernet.  The device manager states that both the Ethernet Controller and SM Bus Controller drivers are not installed.  I contacted HP tech support and they couldn't help, they said I would have to do a complete install of the HP operation system that came with the computer because they didn't know where the drivers were and no guarantee that would work.  The motherboard is made by IPMMB-FM.  I tried to google them and found nothing.  I am looking for help in finding these drivers.  I would appreciate any help that is offered.

Regents Professor
ManjunathTech
Message 2 of 17 (8,282 Views)

Re: Need ethernet drivers for my new HP Pavilion HPE

Hi

Please download the driver from HP website driver will be the same for Internet.

How to find all drivers for specific model on HP sites?

1. Click on Support & Drivers link. (Upper part of this page.)

2. In search box type your laptop product number (p/n).

Resource:

How to Locate the Notebook p/n

3. Choose ' Next '.

4. Click ' Software & Driver Downloads '.

5. Use the dropdown selector to select correct operation system and click ' Next '. Choose:

● ' Microsoft Windows Vista ' if you are using Windows 7 32 bit

or

● ' Microsoft Windows Vista (64 bit) ' if you are using Windows 7 64 bit.

6. Click the sign next to your Audio or Graphic driver. Newest release of drivers are listed first , but not always the best solution. Previous and

Sometimes better working drivers are on the next page, found by clicking on ' (Previous versions available) ' link. You will be taken to a page

with list of all drivers starting from newest to oldest.

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."
****Click the White Kudos star to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

Regards
Manjunath
Provost
Big_Dave
Message 3 of 17 (8,279 Views)

Hi,

You can only have one connection to the same HUB if the IP addresses are the same. Otherwise you need to make sure that each adapter uses an unique IP address. (192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 are examples)

When you install Windows, the Windows ethernet drivers should be sufficient.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-3770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Provost
CherylG
Message 4 of 17 (8,275 Views)

Since Device Manager reports ethernet and smbus missing driver, you definitley need more drivers than Windows provides. We really need the full model of your HPE to help find the support & drivers page. If you don't know the full model you can try the Auto detect feature to see if HP system can read the info in BIOS and direct you to correct page:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/siteHome?cc=us&lc=en

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Top Student
cgill22
Message 5 of 17 (8,264 Views)

[ Edited ]

I tried the auto decect drivers from HP website the drivers I am looking for are not on that page.  My computer is HP Pavilion HPE h8xt i7-2600.  Yes I know you can only be connected one way either wireless or ethernet.  I would like to connect via ethernet because it faster and more stable.  Thanks in advance for the help.

[Personal Information Removed]

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 6 of 17 (8,260 Views)

This is a peer-to-peer user support forum. HP maintains no official presence on this forum. Please refrain from posting items such as order numbers, serial numbers, etc.

For us to assist you, we need to know the complete and accurate HP model number (ex. h8-xxxxt) and/or product number (ex. BG999AA-xxx). This information can be found on a sticker on the side, back, or bottom of the computer. It should also be located on your order ticket and as previously stated, on the computer's BIOS screen.

Frank

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.

HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
Top Student
cgill22
Message 7 of 17 (8,251 Views)

Sorry about that.  Here are my model # h8-1240t. Is that the information you need?

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 8 of 17 (8,244 Views)

[ Edited ]

Here are the specs for your HP Pavilion HPE h8-1240t CTO Desktop Computer and its HP OEM (Pegatron IPMMB-FM) Formosa Motherboard. Here is a link to HP's Software and Driver webpage for your HP h8-1240t. Your SMBus issue may be resolved by downloading and installing the Original Intel Chipset Driver. According to the specs, your system uses an integrated Atheros AR8161L chip for the GBE LAN adapter... problem is HP doesn't have a driver for it and Atheros doesn't list a chip with that model/part/series number. You may want to use the HP Recovery Manager or the HP Recovery Discs (you already created) to return the system to a factory like state and locate a folder named "SWsetup". This folder should have all HP factory installed software and drivers in it and you may be able to locate the Atheros AR8161L LAN driver that way.

Frank

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

Top Student
cgill22
Message 9 of 17 (8,234 Views)

lasvegaswireman,   thank you so much for your help.  Because of  your help SMBus issue is solved.  I am just wondering why a clean install of windows 7 ultimate would eliminate the driver for the ethernet.  Also with Artheros AR8161L I found a website when I did a search for the driver with that chip set found one.  The manufacture is from LionSea Software, a Chinese company and when I set up the installer is says the publisher is LongzeXiangsu New Technology Development.  I am tentative to install this driver.  I would appreciate you advice on this matter about installing this driver.  Thanks in advance.

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 10 of 17 (8,223 Views)

Unless the driver comes from Atheros, HP or another large OEM (Dell, Sony, etc.), or a well known motherboard manufacturer (Asus, Gigabyte, etc.), I wouldn't touch it.

Frank

Frank

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation