Need to re-format the hard drive Having constant problems starting up and staying operating (498 Views)
Top Student
wbsmithfl
Message 1 of 47 (498 Views)
Accepted Solution

Need to re-format the hard drive Having constant problems starting up and staying operating

[ Edited ]

Product:  HP Pavillion Media Center M8200n

Product # GN551AA#ABA

Serial # [edited personal product info]

Operating System: XP upgraded to Windows 7

Several months ago I started having blue screens and freezes and then wouldn't boot up at start, etc. I finally got in one day and immediately backed up everything onto my remote hard drive. I believe that it would be best to re-format the hard drive and start over. Something keeps giving me blue screens and freezing me out. Please help...a senior citizen who is not completely computer illiterate but not so tech savvy!!

W. b. Smith

PhD Student
Checkurtech
Message 2 of 47 (484 Views)

Re: Need to re-format the hard drive Having constant problems starting up and staying operating

Hi 

Before you do a format on your drive you must understand this may not sort out the Bluescreens you are having on your system . Bluescreens can also be related to bad hardware as well as your operating system or software on your PC. Firstly to work out if it is say a Windows problem can you boot into Safe mode ? To do this on startup tap F8 till you get to the advanced boot options menu , then using arrow keys and Enter button choose Safe Mode , your computer will boot into safe mode and only install the bare essentials needed for Windows to operate . If you still get a Bluescreen when starting in Safe mode then it could well be Windows problems , But still could be hardware issues also. In order to help you further could you possibly take a photo of the Bluescreen message so i can research on your behalf the error message and diagnose to whether it's harware/software problem ..    I am more than happy to help you resolve your issues ..   Checkurtech

****Click the White Kudos star to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
Top Student
wbsmithfl
Message 3 of 47 (479 Views)

Re: Need to re-format the hard drive Having constant problems starting up and staying operating

Thanks so much for your help. I am away from my home until this evening. Will follow your instructions and will advise. 

W B Smith

Orlando, FL

Teacher
dave860
Message 4 of 47 (478 Views)

HI  wsmithfl

Form your post I you said you formatted the C: drive, the drive that the OS is installed on before you installed the upgrade correct to windows 7 correct? Blue screens can be caused by many different things. But if you had that issue before you installed windows 7 than it most likely is the primary hard disk drive is failing. Hard drives last about 5 6 years of continuous use. Even if you formated it this will not change that the drive is dying.

Now if you did all the above and you stopped having the blue screens that I would say drivers were the issue. The solution to this issue is if you have the installation DVD of windows 7. purchase another hard drive.  If you do not feel like opening the computer and installing a new HDD that I would take it to PC repair shop have them do it. They may even help you decide on what size of drive to install if you like.

Dave

Top Student
wbsmithfl
Message 5 of 47 (453 Views)

It took two days but the system did produce two blue screens. Here is the data I collected: 

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:                        BlueScreen

OS Version:                                          6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID:                                             1033

Additional information about the problem:

BCCode:                                               1000008e

BCP1:                                                    C0000005

BCP2:                                                    98830B5C

BCP3:                                                    C36A36E1

BCP4:                                                    00000000

OS Version:                                          6_1_7601

Service Pack:                                       1_0

Product:                                               768_1

Files that help describe the problem:

C:\Windows\Minidump\011714-30186-01.dmp

C:\Users\Bill\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-171881-0.sysdata.xml

Second Screen:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:                        BlueScreen

OS Version:                                          6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID:                                             1033

Additional information about the problem:

BCCode:                                               50

BCP1:                                                    A7116559

BCP2:                                                    00000000

BCP3:                                                    83121531

BCP4:                                                    00000000

OS Version:                                          6_1_7601

Service Pack:                                       1_0

Product:                                               768_1

Files that help describe the problem:

C:\Windows\Minidump\011714-24414-01.dmp

C:\Users\Bill\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-71807-0.sysdata.xml

Teacher
dave860
Message 6 of 47 (443 Views)

From the blue sccren post it looks like windows 7 maybe be trying to use a Xp driver which would be odd since you formatted the HDD before you installed the windows 7 so that would have been a full install not a upgrade.  I personally do not like upgrades they can cause issues like you are having.

Please press windows key and the R key tha type devmgmt.msc press enter. This command will bring up the device manager which list the devices in your system. clcik on them and look for any with a yellow triangle or an ! next to the deivice.  if you see any with these icons, post a list.

Dave

Teacher
dave860
Message 7 of 47 (430 Views)

I did more research on your BSOD issue. I found lot of the same issue with different ID causes. I still think there is a driver that is not compatible with windows 7 causing this issue. Driver issues like this are hard to figure out and and it can be techy. To make this easier I have use a program in the passed to find the misbehaving driver(s) the program is free and you can download it here it is called whocrashed.

http://download.cnet.com/WhoCrashed/3000-2094_4-75205821.html

This does not always work but it is worth a try see if we can remove it and install one that win 7 likes if needed. My hope is if you can get the system to run long enough we can find it.

I use another program that is call slimdrivers which will scan your system and locate drivers that are missing or out of date. This program will download the drivers and install them. The best this is if something goes wrong with the download it will not install the driver will back out. and backup your drivers currently installed you youn can restore them as they were.  The link is here.

https://www.slimwareutilities.com/slimdrivers.php

This little jem saves me lot of time searching the web for the right drivers for my clients and me. read the site and see why I use it. lets see what whocrashed finds if anything and than we will goe from there.

Top Student
wbsmithfl
Message 8 of 47 (362 Views)

I ran the WhoCrashed? and here is the results:

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Fri 1/17/2014 1:31:52 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\011714-24414-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: symefa.sys (SYMEFA+0x242A)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFFFFFA7116559, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFF83121531, 0x0)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\NIS\1404000.028\SYMEFA.SYS
product: EFA
company: Symantec Corporation
description: Symantec Extended File Attributes
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: symefa.sys (Symantec Extended File Attributes, Symantec Corporation).
Google query: Symantec Corporation PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

On Fri 1/17/2014 1:31:52 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: symefa.sys (SYMEFA+0x242A)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFFFFFA7116559, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFF83121531, 0x0)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\NIS\1404000.028\SYMEFA.SYS
product: EFA
description: Symantec Extended File Attributes
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: symefa.sys (Symantec Extended File Attributes, Symantec Corporation).
Google query: Symantec Corporation PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

On Fri 1/17/2014 1:12:20 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\011714-30186-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown (0xFFFFFFFF98830B5C)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFF98830B5C, 0xFFFFFFFFC36A36E1, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.
Google query: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Fri 12/6/2013 1:59:11 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\011514-50216-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: bhdrvx86.sys (BHDrvx86+0x6CB8F)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0x5132009D, 0xFFFFFFFF8D513280, 0xFFFFFFFF8D512E60)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\ProgramData\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\NIS_20.3.0.36\Definitions\BASHDefs\20140121.001\BHDrvx86.sys
product: BASH
description: BASH Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: bhdrvx86.sys (BASH Driver, Symantec Corporation).
Google query: Symantec Corporation SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Fri 11/22/2013 11:43:23 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\112213-85940-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlpa.exe (nt+0x7F7EE)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x7A, 0x7, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFF83094DEE)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 11/22/2013 11:27:40 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\112213-76268-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlpa.exe (nt+0x7F7EE)
Bugcheck code: 0xFE (0x6, 0xFFFFFFFF87025720, 0x63706458, 0x0)
Error: BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that an error has occurred in a Universal Serial Bus (USB) driver.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

Conclusion

6 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. 2 third party drivers have been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

bhdrvx86.sys (BASH Driver, Symantec Corporation)
symefa.sys (Symantec Extended File Attributes, Symantec Corporation)

Top Student
wbsmithfl
Message 9 of 47 (357 Views)

I also ran the other suggested utility Slimdrivers. This is the result:

current         available

Logitech HD Webcam C270                      1/16/12        9/19/12

Logitech HID-compliant Optical

Wheel M…                                                8/31/11         1/1/13

NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller      10/16/08     11/10/09

Hauppauge Win TV HVR-1800 (Model… 06/07/07     09/28/11

RealTek High Definition Audio                  01/14/08     11/03/13

NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller       10/25/07     04/08/10

NVIDIA nForce PCI System Managem… 06/20/06     07/28/09

Thanks

Teacher
dave860
Message 10 of 47 (333 Views)

[ Edited ]

I read the all the crash dumps the conclusion tells the story. Did you install nortons antivirus on your system once you upgraded to windows 7?  If that version was for XP that is where your issue is. These two are from norton anivirus. These two drivers are causing the BSOD . 

bhdrvx86.sys (BASH Driver, Symantec Corporation)

symefa.sys (Symantec Extended File Attributes, Symantec Corporation)

Uninstall norton anivirus and all should be back to normal. Now if you did not install norton and it was already installed still remove it.  I used norton long ago but I had issues with it back than like you are now.  I now use AVG 2014 antivirus and malwarebytes which scan for malware on a system. Both are free but you can purchase both of them. I have always used the free and have no issues.  Before you install any antivirus software after you remove nortons let the system run for a few days to see if the BSOD is fixed. I believe it will be.  :smileywink:

http://free.avg.com/us-en/homepage

http://www.malwarebytes.org/lp/lp4/?gclid=CN690LWzn7wCFelxOgod0z4AUw

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html  

Revo uninstaller:  Norton has it own uninstaller but will not remove everything left behind. when you run this I would use moderate setting for norton.  Revo will use nortons uninstaller first than it will scan for the files left behind and remove those as well. after this we will see how the system is running.

The slimdrivers scan did find new drivers for you system. the current installed driver year and the availble driver is the update year. These are not the issue but once we get this system stable than use slimdrivers and update them.

The TV card driver Hauppauge win TV HVR 1800: skip this from slimdriver download this one from their website or it may work correctly. in the past Hauppauge reqiured users to have the driver CD that came with the card to install new drivers.

:smileyhappy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation