Question
Need to re-format the hard drive Having constant problems starting up and staying operating
Replies (46)

Tutor
wbsmithfl
Message 11 of 47 (347 Views)

Re: Need to re-format the hard drive Having constant problems starting up and staying operating

So I have removed Norton and run the revo program. The system ran fine for a day and half and then has started with more BSOD's. IRQL, Memory Management are the most repeated reasons for the BSOD's.

PhD Student
Checkurtech
Message 12 of 47 (339 Views)

Re: Need to re-format the hard drive Having constant problems starting up and staying operating

Hi
Yes it looks from your report that Norton is the key to your problems . As described from previous post , Revo is the program to remove all unwanted remenance of Norton . Full Kudos to Dave 860 for pinpointing the problem
Checkurtech
****Click the White Kudos star to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
Master's Graduate
Dokie
Message 13 of 47 (337 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi! I'm Dokie and I have been following your issue. You are getting some really great advise,but I have not seen you reply to what Checkurtech advised about safe mode. Here are some tips about BSOD. If you want to carry the safe mode further try a clean boot.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

BSODs have a variety of root causes, but these tips will help you deal with many blue screens:

• Use System Restore: If your system recently started blue-screening, use System Restore to roll its system software back to a previous state. If this works, you’ll know that it’s likely a software problem.
  • Scan for Malware: Malware that digs deep into Windows and gets its hooks into the Windows kernel at a low level can cause system instability. Scan your computer for malware to ensure buggy malicious software isn’t causing it to crash.
  • Install Updated Drivers: An incorrectly installed or buggy driver can lead to crashes. Download the latest drivers for your computer’s hardware from your computer manufacturer’s website and install them — this may fix BSODs caused by driver problems.
  • Boot Into Safe Mode: If your computer is blue-screening every time you turn it on, try booting into safe mode. In safe mode, Windows loads only the essential drivers. If a driver you’ve installed is causing Windows to blue screen, it shouldn’t do so in safe mode. You can work on fixing the problem from safe mode.
  • Check for Hardware Problems: Blue screens can be caused by faulty hardware in your computer. Try testing your computer’s memory for errors and checking its temperature to ensure that it isn’t overheating.
  • Reinstall Windows: Reinstalling Windows is the nuclear option. It will blow away your existing system software, replacing it with a fresh Windows system. If your computer continues to blue screen after this, you likely have a hardware problem.

PhD Student
Checkurtech
Message 14 of 47 (332 Views)

Hi
Dokie , Thanks for pointing out that I advised from the Start ... that safe mode could have isolated issues from the first posts .BUT still Kudos to Dave860 for studying the crash dump report and isolating Norton as the main issue . Thank you again
Checkurtech
Master's Graduate
Dokie
Message 15 of 47 (318 Views)

Checkurtech wrote:
Hi
Yes it looks from your report that Norton is the key to your problems . As described from previous post , Revo is the program to remove all unwanted remenance of Norton . Full Kudos to Dave 860 for pinpointing the problem
Checkurtech

Hi I think the OP is still getting BSOD???? However Dave 860 was on the right track also. The OP has recieved great advise, but seems they need further advise:smileywink:

Master's Graduate
Dokie
Message 16 of 47 (314 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Yes Dave done a great job. Kudos to Dave! I like the software he recommended Who Crashed and Slimdrivers. I have used Slimdrivers for awhile and I'm very interested in Who Crashed. I like to see the members working together like this to help the OP with their issue.:smileywink:

Dokie!

PhD Student
Checkurtech
Message 17 of 47 (308 Views)

Hi
Alternate method is to run a live Enviroment such as Hirens or Kaspersky rescue disk 10 to backup your information . You can also run hardware tasks from these environments to see if issues are found with hardware on your system . Also your O/S disk can repair any Windows issues you maybe having like Bootrec MBR and or fixbcd for booting issues .
Checkurtech
Master's Graduate
Dokie
Message 18 of 47 (299 Views)

[ Edited ]

Or you can create your own!

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/create-a-system-repair-disc

:smileywink:

PS! Not sure Kaspersky rescue disk 10 is free any more. Hiren's is free but they have gone to using a down load mamager, which can be and usally is bad news.

Teacher
dave860
Message 19 of 47 (280 Views)

Hey there

Sorry to hear that the BSOD is still going on.  I think from what you said we need to check your memory test it see if it passes. to test your memory go to control panel by pressing start than control panel once this loads click on Administrative Tools than Windows Memory Diagnostic click restart and check for problems  Again run whocrashed if this is still a driver than we might catch it on whocrashed.

I would give Kaspersky rescue disk 10 a try,   Do you see this when you get a blue screen crash? IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL  It is divided into 4 parts. The last section sometimes lists a driver by name that could be causing the problem. If so, uninstall that driver and reinstall the latest driver from the manufacturer web site. if it happens again takes a picture of it and post it. Finding the cause of this is a process and we will figure it out.

Dave

Teacher
dave860
Message 20 of 47 (242 Views)

ntkrnlpa.exe This is a core component of windows it may be corrupted or infected.  I suspect it is not the cause of the crash but a under lying driver that is crashing.  From searching on the web for other problems with the same exe file there are many types of crashes.

This may not fix it use slimdrivers and update your outdated drivers one ata time and and see if this has any effect. Always create a restore point for each driver updated slimdrivers will ask you everytime before it downloads.

If you have a virus infection in windows XP before the upgrade than it an still be there. You could use the windows 7 disk and have it repair the system see if that will fix the ntkrnlpa.exe BSOD.

Here is a guide to using the installation disc as a repair disc

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-repair-windows-7-system-installation-disc.htm

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation