Question

Honor Student
BruceErickson
Message 1 of 5 (2,021 Views)

Need xp home install disk download

A couple of the files in my older HP pavillion desktop computer's OS (Win xp home) went bad and it didn't come with an xp disk. I have the serial number on the side of the panel and everything but I've had the computer for several years so I doubt there's a warranty. I went to microsoft's website and they said the orininal manufacturer can supply me with the original copy of windows (which I can burn to a cd) for my computer as long as I have the key code on the side.

explorer.exe won't work anymore so I have to run anything from the task manager on that computer. Unfortunately, though firefox will run, IE won't so I can't log on to microsoft with that computer to download the files. I'd like to do a reinstall if it's possible so I can keep my files and installed software. Or at least new copies of the bad files though I don't know for sure which are bad.

Is this possible?

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 5 (2,002 Views)

Re: Need xp home install disk download

[ Edited ]

Your computer should have the Recovery partition on the hdd to do reinstalls. Should be a shortcut in the Start Menu for  PC Help and Tools or some other similar wording, with  Recovery Manager there. HP has changed it a bit on various models,so just look around for it.

You should also have the option of booting into Recovery at power up, by tapping the F10 key as soon as the HP logo screen appears.

HP System Recovery in Windows XP:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&docname=bph07145&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USE...

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
BruceErickson
Message 3 of 5 (1,967 Views)

there is no start menu. There is no explorer.exe at all. The only way to browse files is through task manager and the recovery partition is unavailable from there.

All I get is a desktop background when I turn it on. Also, I'd like to not have to reinstall all the software and lose all my files if possible. Wouldn't the recovery section reformat and lose all the files?

Provost
CherylG
Message 4 of 5 (1,938 Views)

You can also boot into Recovery Manager by tapping the F10 key immediatley after power on. The link I posted above explains the options in Recovery. A standard Recovery 'should' leave your files intact. A Destructive Recovery, chosen with the Advanced button, will format C:

Read through the HP article.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
BruceErickson
Message 5 of 5 (1,856 Views)

sorry, I missed writing that I'd done that and that it wouldn't do a recovery without zorching my installed software, much of which is now older copies and the disks are scattered around. I could probably find the disks but it would be a pain when i only need a few files.

I think I'll try to buy a copy at a computer store. It seems like a weird problem to want a disk rather than a partition.

Is there a way I could just get a few windows files, like explorer exe for xp home SP2?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation