Question

Top Student
monkeychunki
Message 1 of 14 (239 Views)
Accepted Solution

New harddrive - dont have install DVD

Hi, im installing a new harddrive into my slimline tower however i dont have the original install dvd. I wont be using the original HD so need will need to set up from fresh, I have my Vista product key.

x2 questions

Can i get hold of another install DVD

How does Microsoft know that im not just trying to install the OS onto a further PC - do i need to inform them somehow?

thanks

Distinguished Professor
jaco1x4
Message 2 of 14 (230 Views)

Re: New harddrive - dont have install DVD

[ Edited ]

Hi monkeychunki,

Is your original HDD intact with a fully functioning Win Vista install including HP's Recovery Manager and Recovery Partition?

Use HP's Recovery Manager to create an HP recovery disk set.

Use the recovery disks to install Win Vista on the new HDD.

If you are unable to create HP's recovery disks you can order a set from either HP, if available, or at Computer Surgeons.com. This website is temporarily down at this time.

Final point, if your PC shipped with pre SP1 Vista and you have purchased an Advanced Format HDD you will have a problem installing Vista using HP's recovery disks on the new HDD. A workaround would be to use professional imaging software or try using the cloning software many HDD manufacturers ship with new HDD's to clone the original Vista install to the new HDD.

Hey, the path of least resistance may be to purchase a copy of Win 7. Many Vista PC's upgrade to Win 7 without a hitch!

Jaco

****I am not an HP employee****

Please give a" Kudos" if advice received is relevant or" Accept as Solution" if your problem has been solved.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
H8 1380t CTO, Intel i7 3820
16 GB DDR3
Pegatron Motherboard- IPIWB-PB (Pittsburgh), Radeon HD 7570 1GB. Win 7 Home Premium upgraded to Windows 8.1 Pro.

Envy Phoenix 810-150se, Intel i7 4820k
16 GB DDR3
Pittsburgh2 Mainboard, NVIDIA GTX 645- 2GB GDDR5. Win 8.1 Pro.

HP 560z CTO AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
16 GB DDR3.
Radeon HD 6570
Win 7 Home Premium upgraded to Win 7 Pro.

HP ENVY 17t-j000 CTO Quad Edition Notebook. I7 4702mq
12 GB DDR3
Nvidia Graphics
Win 8 Pro

Errare humanum est.
Top Student
monkeychunki
Message 3 of 14 (209 Views)

great! thanks very much for the info. Yes i do have recovery manager on my existing HDD and it will let me create a recovery disc however not a recovery partition - i presume if the disc works I wont have any issues with licensing?
Distinguished Professor
jaco1x4
Message 4 of 14 (205 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

As long as the Recovery Partition is on the original HDD and is not corrupted, you should be able to create recovery disks. If you successfully install Vista on the new HDD you will not have any licensing problems if you have not made any other significant changes to your PC.

Jaco

Errare humanum est.
Top Student
monkeychunki
Message 5 of 14 (199 Views)

perfect thanks again
Top Student
monkeychunki
Message 6 of 14 (149 Views)

Hi I've plugged in the new hdd & switch on, put the 1st recovery disk in and in getting a message saying 'the boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible'.

Any idea what I should do? All my recovery DVDs were verified to work
Distinguished Professor
jaco1x4
Message 7 of 14 (142 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Are you booting to the recovery DVD?

Sounds as if your PC is attempting to boot the the new HDD.

Here is a guide on changing BIOS settings including changing the boot order. I don't know what BIOS version you have because I don't have your PC's product number.

If your PC is set to boot the DVD drive first and your HP recovery discs are good it should boot to the first recovery DVD.

Jaco

Errare humanum est.
Top Student
monkeychunki
Message 8 of 14 (135 Views)

Yeah I've just checked and it is booting the DVD so I'm guessing it's not liking it. I've dug out a vista disk and it's running that fine.... The problem I'm now encountering is that it won't take my product key which is definitely correct as I'm reading it off the side of my PC. Presumably this may be an issue with the SP1, is there any harm if I skip the service key and type it in when I get online or phone it into to MS?
Distinguished Professor
jaco1x4
Message 9 of 14 (132 Views)

Hi,

You could try activating after installing Vista.

Do you have a product key for the Vista disk you are using now? Where did you get the Vista install disk? Is it an OEM, Upgrade, or Retail install disk?

Jaco

Errare humanum est.
Top Student
monkeychunki
Message 10 of 14 (130 Views)

I'm not sure but I think I may have burnt it when I first got the PC from set up as I can't think of where else I would have got it from. I have all the drivers backed up from my old hard drive & I still have the old hdd if I need to go back and get anything
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation