Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hi,
I have a hp pavilion 450 laptop with windows 7 ultimate-32 bit os. I was using windows 7 professional 32 bit os, but I had to format as my it was getting hung up quite often. After the formatting, its response time has decreased and it looks all fresh but the only problem is, I cannot seem to connect to any wireless network. There's this big red cross on the network and sharing centre and after troubleshooting I get the message "a network cable is not properly plugged in or it may be broken."
I have tried installing two different wifi adaptors but to no avail. They are
1. Ralink 802.11 wifi adapter
2. Broadcomm wireless lan driver for microsoft 7.
Could anyone here suggest what went wrong and how to resolve this issue?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

Please do the following and I will post the link to the wlan driver you need.

Go to the device manager and click on the Network Controller needing drivers.

Then click on the Details tab at the top of the network controller window.

Now you see a Property drop down list and it is defaulted to Device Description.

Drop down on that and select the second item on the list (Hardware ID's).

Post the top string of characters that begin with PCI\VEN

HP Recommended

I suspect there are numerous drivers that need to be installed.  Look in device manager and report back as to what is missing drivers.  If you give the complete model number for the laptop, they might be on the HP drivers page.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended
Ok here's what the string reads
PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0032&SUBSYS_1785103C&REV_01
HP Recommended
I think ive installed all the other necessary drivers, cant be sure though. However, I rechecked and I see the yellow exclamation mark only under the other devices category for
1. Network controller
2. Pci device
3. Pci simple communications controller.
HP Recommended

:generic: it worked.... 

HP Recommended

Glad to have been of assistance!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.