Question
OS Recovery-HP Recovery Manager
Replies (120)

Top Student
Bronxbabe
Message 31 of 121 (1,448 Views)

Re: OS Recovery-HP Recovery Manager Failed

HELP!!  I have a HP Pavilion, had to backup and restore my system because of a virus-infected file.  I did the HP system restore, installed 150 important Windows updates.  Now, as I try to restore my .wim files from my external drive, I receive the message "...ckard/TouchSmart/Media/Kernel/CLML/CLMLSvc.exe -- A buffer overrun has been detected which has corrupted the program's internal state. The program cannot safely continue execution and must now be terminated."  I'm not sure why I'm receiving this  message.  

NOTE:  This has happened before and I was able to restore my files using the HP Recover Manager before installing the Windows updates, but the infected file was also restored and my system had to be redone-Ughhhh.

Any help would be greatly apprecited.  THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Intern
login-123
Message 32 of 121 (1,430 Views)

[ Edited ]

This machine is:

HP p7 1235 desktop,
Motherboard = MSI 2AE0 (P0)
Hard Drive = Hitachi SATA Disk, 1 tb, GPT formatted
BIOS =  JAS_707.ROM
HP setup utility = American Megatrends ver. 2.14.1219

In the BIOS, accessed by tapping Esc, then selecting Computer Setup (F10), under "File", there is the option to "Apply Defaults And Exit".  When yes is selected, a window pops up that says "Are you sure you want to set defaults and exit?" Yes or no. 

I can not tell from the wording what this does.  Does this apply defaults, set defaults, or actually reset to original defaults? 

In other words, does selecting yes "set" the defaults as they are now, or does it apply the original defaults? 

Thank you in advance.

Provost
CherylG
Message 33 of 121 (1,403 Views)

It resets to original default settings.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Intern
login-123
Message 34 of 121 (1,395 Views)

Thank you, CherylG
Student
HP_User_1701
Message 35 of 121 (1,367 Views)

Re: OS Recovery-HP Recovery Manager

I have the HP desktop 500-054 (which I love), but I am having a problem with the 'Recovery Media Creation' tool. I would like to create a 'system recovery' on a usb flash drive, but can't.

When I select the 'usb flash drive option' there are no flash drives to choose from, when there is one in the computer. The flash drive works (I can read/write to it). I think the problem is that Microsoft changed flash drives from 'Removable Storage' to 'Hard Disks'. All flash drives that want to be Windows 8 'Certified' have to comply with this. I think the 'Recovery Media Creation' tool is looking at 'Removable Storage' drives, and not 'Hard Disks'. (If you go into Windows Explorer and select 'Computer', you will see the 'Removable Storage'/'Hard Disk' separation that I’m referring to).

Is there a workaround for this?

Intern
Sardukkan
Message 36 of 121 (1,338 Views)

[ Edited ]

HP_User_1701 wrote:

When I select the 'usb flash drive option' there are no flash drives to choose from, when there is one in the computer. The flash drive works (I can read/write to it). I think the problem is that Microsoft changed flash drives from 'Removable Storage' to 'Hard Disks'. All flash drives that want to be Windows 8 'Certified' have to comply with this. I think the 'Recovery Media Creation' tool is looking at 'Removable Storage' drives, and not 'Hard Disks'. (If you go into Windows Explorer and select 'Computer', you will see the 'Removable Storage'/'Hard Disk' separation that I’m referring to).

Is there a workaround for this?

I have the exact same issue.  It never sees the flash drive.  I'm creating the recovery set for a JIC.  I want to do a total recovery, this is just a fail safe in case something goes very very wrong.

Any Ideas?

Provost
CherylG
Message 37 of 121 (1,304 Views)

I have requested help with the issue of creating Recovery on usb flash. Will update here when I get anything.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Intern
Sardukkan
Message 38 of 121 (1,296 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks for poaking the ones who may know!

I apprciate it!

Honor Student
Help99
Message 39 of 121 (1,281 Views)

Please try a USB without the WIn 8 compatible logo in the back of the package. 

I can't paste the image of the logo but if you google "WIn 8 compatible logo" you will see it.  

Be sure to check the back of the package before you buy the USB.

Provost
CherylG
Message 40 of 121 (1,273 Views)

[ Edited ]

@ Help99

You may be on the right track.Have you used a non-Windows 8 compatible flash drive to create Recovery Media?

Is this the logo you are referring to>>IC610557.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation