Question
OS Recovery-HP Recovery Manager
Replies (118)

Intern
help88
Message 41 of 119 (1,234 Views)

Re: OS Recovery-HP Recovery Manager

Yes that's the logo.  We tried the SanDisk Ultra USB 3.0 32GB which does not have the Win 8 compatible logo and it works fine.

I work for HP but do not speak for HP
Intern
Sardukkan
Message 42 of 119 (1,227 Views)

Not sure if this bit is relevent in my case.  One of the steps that I've tried with both the 16 and 32 bit Sandisk was to nuke the exsisting volume off the drive and recreate it as either another FAT32 or a NTFS.

Currently both have clean NTFS formated volumes.  No other files on either device at this time.

Provost
CherylG
Message 43 of 119 (1,222 Views)

@ help88

Thanks for confirming. Until a  patch/upgrade is  possibly released for Recovery Creator I guess it is either choose a non-Win 8 logo flash drive or resort to DVD. In my case I actually prefer DVD because I normally use a machine for a couple of years and then pass it along to someone else. Wouldn't want to donate a 32GB flash drive with it.:smileywink:

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Intern
lauriej
Message 44 of 119 (1,175 Views)

wnt to make recovery disks says i can only make one set.  i have made any as i needed to get the dvd's to create them.  contacted hp twice about this they tell me i will need to order the disks.  just went to do so for my H8-1534  click on the order put in my serial # click next the next page tells me it is invalid url. 

so now i cant create the disks or buy them. 

Intern
Sardukkan
Message 45 of 119 (1,164 Views)

You're best bet then is to call HP support to order the disks.  The online disk ordering system has been lacking for a long time.  YOu're better off talking to a person to ensure you get the exact set you need.

Intern
lauriej
Message 46 of 119 (1,159 Views)

Sent email and disks will be mailed in next couple of days

Intern
Sardukkan
Message 47 of 119 (1,156 Views)

Sweet, at least you can get it back to the beginning then!

Intern
login-123
Message 48 of 119 (1,127 Views)

This machine is:

HP p7 1235 desktop, Motherboard = MSI 2AE0 (P0)

Hard Drive = Hitachi SATA Disk, 1 tb, GPT formatted

BIOS =  JAS_707.ROM

HP setup utility = American Megatrends ver. 2.14.1219

Two questions please.

1.  Is there a manual for this bios available? 

2.  How do I reinstall or reflash the bios?

In an earlier post CherylG explained what one of the setings within the bios does. 

How do I reflash it from scratch?  The machine will boot. 

Thank you. 

Intern
Sardukkan
Message 49 of 119 (1,083 Views)

Might you have posted this question in the wrong thread?

This is about OS recovery, not BIOS realted.

To answer one thing though, I've never seen any manual for a BIOS release.

BIOS releases if there are any are typicaly on the suport / download page for your system type.  I just looked and ther eare no "Official" HP BIOS updates avalible.  You can look at the MoBo manufacture site, but that may have warranty implications.

Intern
login-123
Message 50 of 119 (1,061 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi, Sardukkan.  Thank you for the reply. And thank you for checking that page.  I did that also. 

This seemed the logical place as flashing the bios is often part of a recovery effort. 

The only other thread that seemed logical was at HP Support Forum Home >  Desktop & Monitors > Other Desktop PC Questions, and if it should be there maybe a moderator will move it? 

I have read quite a bit about this bios, and simply cannot find a manual for it, nor instructions about how to "flash" it. 

American Megatrends puts the burden on the contractor, HP in this case, to explain things to their customers, saying essentially that they write the code they are hired to write, but can not be responsible for how it is used.  Seems reasonable. 

They say that here at the FAQ page:  http://www.ami.com/Support/SupportRequest/?AMIProd=notamiproduct#faq  Its long and tedious, but that is pretty much what it says. 

About a third way down the page here: 

http://www.ami.com/Support/amibiossupport/

it says this

NOTE: All TRUE AMI motherboards will have the American Megatrends logo printed in white on the motherboard.

Mine does not have that, mine says MS-7778 ver: 1.0

I ran the bios version identifier called "mbid14.exe"  and it just sent the computer to a black screen, no cursor, no input possible.  After a forced shutdown and restart it did however change the logo that shows during the POST delay, but everything seems to still be working.  

And it says this in item #2, same page: 

2. Go to your motherboard manufacturer for support.
We do not have your BIOS upgrade. Only your motherboard manufacturer can give you this upgrade. Most manufacturers have BIOS upgrades available on their website. If you can't determine your motherboard manufacturer, contact the company or person who sold you the product.

So it seems that the answer to this question must be found through HP, and the warranty on this computer is out.  

Still I think HP has a duty to provide its customers with a vehicle for reflashing the bios on their computer. 

Now it might be that this question will not be answered here. 

I appreciate that the members here are volunteers, and are as helpful as they can be. 

Good support is the reason I have always bought or recommended HP computers.  

If you remove support from the equation all computers are pretty much the same, spinning disks and ones and zeros. 

So there ya go, looks like I'll just have to keep watching this forum and hope for an answer. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation