OS Recovery-HP Recovery Manager (22959 Views)
Intern
Sardukkan
Message 51 of 114 (851 Views)

Re: OS Recovery-HP Recovery Manager

[ Edited ]

Ok according to the system specs for this model the MoBo is a MSI not AMI.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03343058&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en...

And of Course the HP MoBo Model number don't match with anything on the MSI site.

Best clue so far is Socket type FM2  AMD

Now just by change I consulted the Almighty and Powerful Google and when I entered the MoBo Model number you gave it had this line as one of the suggestions.

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/A75MA-G55.html

This may be the MSI Model number for the Board you have.

This is the BIOS page.  Take note is states that you MUST run this from a USB flash drive only!!!

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/A75MA-G55.html#/?div=BIOS

Hope this a pointer in the right direction.

Good luck and hope you don't brick it!

Intern
login-123
Message 52 of 114 (838 Views)

Thanks for the help.   Very generous of you to spend time and effort to help me.  It has put me further ahead by a lot. 

I think these 2 pages are for the fm1 socket: 
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/A75MA-G55.html
and
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/A75MA-G55.html#/?div=BIOS

and this one is for the fm2 socket: 
Socketfm2

So, are you sure that that bios page is correct for this machine? 
No offense meant by that question. 
I must wait until I'm certain I have the right bios before flashing.

In any case my result is the same as yours, no matching numbers when you expand the AMD® A55 entries., although the specifications for some of them match closely.

This page gives a lot of information about the BIOS but nothing (that I recognize) about how to flash it or where a manual might be:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c03656066#N1422

Piriform's system desciption tool Speccy shows this data for this system:
Processor Name AMD A8-5500
Code Name Trinity
Package Socket FM2 (904)
Technology 32nm
Specification AMD A8-5500 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
and
Motherboard Manufacturer MSI
Model 2AE0 (P0)
Chipset Vendor AMD
Chipset Model A55/A60M FCH
Chipset Revision 00
Southbridge Vendor AMD
Southbridge Model A55/A60M
Southbridge Revision 11

BIOS Brand AMI Version 7.07 Date 04/20/2012 (msinfo32.exe shows same)
When you boot to the bios screen, it shows this about the bios:  Ver 2.14.1219 copyright 2012 American Megatrends, Inc 

So you're right, the motherboard is in fact MSI and the bios is AMI.
I think this motherboard and the bios are proprietary to HP.  That may be why there is so little information out there. 

But I am no further along toward knowing how to flash the bios until I know for certain which bios goes with this machine. Is here any way to know that for sure?

Maybe an affirmation from someone who works for HP AND speaks for HP?

Intern
Sardukkan
Message 53 of 114 (807 Views)

[ Edited ]

As for your main concern, No I'm not 100% sure it's the corect BIOS.  I supposed you could email MSI support and ask then if the HP PN and the MSI PN are in fact the same?  I doubt HP would spend the money to have MSI 1 off a MoBo for them, they'll just pay to have the HP Mobo PN stuck on it.  A lot of HP stuff still have the full manufacture name and part numbers on it.

AS for instructions, it will end up being pretty simple.  Since it specifies that YOU MUST use a flash drive.  "I'd also expect a read me file of some sort in the DL"

Have a small empty flash drive

download the bios  .exe / zip /whatever it is

It should unzip into a folder you specify.

It should have a create usb exe of some sort

which in turn will make the usb bootable <in some lunix flavor I'd suspect>

You would then either set bois to look fro usb devices first or looks to see what the HP calls boot order, it might be F9???

<Should tell you on the first HP boot splash screen>

From that point it should do it all itself.

Other things to note. Don't do this when you have a possibility of loosing electricty.  A power burp during this process will Brick the box.

Intern
login-123
Message 54 of 114 (801 Views)

OK, Sardukkan. 

Thanks for staying with me. 

I should say here that my last post was not intended to slight your assistance in any way. 

The information you provided has put me miles ahead of where I was.  (Stuck on the "start" button) :smileyhappy:

I have never flashed a BIOS, scary business for me.  Seems there is no do-over if I mess it up. 

Yes, the boot menu is f9. 

I'll see if I can get in touch with MSI and get any information about this motherboard / BIOS.   

Thanks for the cautions you mentioned, I'll attend to them carefully. 

I'll do that bit of homework and see what info is available. 

When I know something for sure I'll post back, but it may be a while. 

Intern
login-123
Message 55 of 114 (800 Views)

[ Edited ]

This was a duplicate post, pleased delete it? 

Intern
Sardukkan
Message 56 of 114 (795 Views)

BIOS updates are typically pretty easy affairs.  And truthfully on HP boxes since they source with so many different MoBo manufactures they will never has an easy of a process [Hope I don't get flack for this] as Dell makes it.  Look on the site by your Service tag, download, run, it verifies the bios is correct, reboots itself, flashes in two or 4 stages. reboots done.

So in short if you don't really need to don't update it.

Oh and no worries, I didn't take anything you said as having an ill intention.

Honor Student
asunsoft
Message 57 of 114 (781 Views)

[ Edited ]

i have made any as i needed to get the dvd's to create them.  contacted hp twice about this they tell me i will need to order the disks.  just went to do so for my H8-1534  click on the order put in my serial # click next the next page tells me it is invalid url.

[Content Removed]

Honor Student
asunsoft
Message 58 of 114 (779 Views)

[ Edited ]

BIOS releases if there are any are typicaly on the suport / download page for your system type.

[Content Removed]

Student
SnarfledGarthok
Message 59 of 114 (739 Views)

Stupid Question here. Since as a user we have to accept the EULA of Microsoft to use its Operating System and we have the sticker with the proper Codes, why would we be charged again to request a copy of the CD's that would make up for the hidden sector on the hard drive? Granted as things go $27 is inexpensive, isnt this the exact same thing that got Gateway in trouble and recently had to deliver to numerous customers a complete system?  The reason I make this inquiry is that my friend just recently recieved said gate way with windows 8 on it and she HATES it.  If we take the HDD out of her Compaq that has the hidden sector on it and do the procedure will it work or is there something on the motherboards that will keep it from working?  I recall at one time that it was a chip on the motherboard that had windows 95 on it and that you accessed it with a ctrl+shift+windows key w and 5 and went thru the same procedure as the hidden sector on the HDD (because there was no way you were going to store the amount of info needed on the HDD that could be put on a CD that was bigger than the HDD @ the time (windows 95 era) and also if memory serves me right it was a Rent-a-Center computer (and the people at R-a-C would just give you a blank look and say 'It would have to have a CD, you must have lost it!' i dont recall manufact of teh RAC puters (may have been gateway) but I called their tech support and was informed of the above key presses at POST to reinstall to factory defaults). [Sorry for convoluted post Ive come to find the more info I give in 1st post the better so I dont get asked 'Is it plugged in?' by the tech support helping with the issue at hand]

Provost
CherylG
Message 60 of 114 (733 Views)

[ Edited ]

@SnarfledGarthok 

OEM licenses are machine specific- tied to the machine/motherboard it shipped on. That is why you get the machine w/OS and software for a low price, you do not pay for a full retail license of the OS which usually can be transferred to another machine.

That is the reason Recovery from one model will not work on another machine. That being said- the Compaq machine you have should have software onboard to burn a Recovery Disc set- but it will only work on the Compaq.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation